recording arrangement disables drum racks?

Discuss Push with other users.
peeddrroo

recording arrangement disables drum racks?

Post by peeddrroo » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:12 pm

this is driving me crazy....

i want to record my live (session) peformance in arrangement, but doing this wrecks drum racks.
just try this : load a drum rack, launch global recording, record a session clip on your drum rack track.
as soon as i'm finished doing this, the pads get unresponsive, i can't select any pad.
if i stop playback everything gets back to normal.

is there something i'm missing?
thanks for any help!

peeddrroo

Re: recording arrangement disables drum racks?

Post by peeddrroo » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:06 pm

ok, after a long call with support (thank you guys!), i got an explanation: recording in arrangement disables drum racks.
to have access to the pads again, you need to enter session recording mode.
it kind of makes sense, though i find it very disturbing: not being able to select pads to edit them is a PITA.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:00 am

peeddrroo wrote:ok, after a long call with support (thank you guys!), i got an explanation: recording in arrangement disables drum racks.
to have access to the pads again, you need to enter session recording mode.
it kind of makes sense, though i find it very disturbing: not being able to select pads to edit them is a PITA.
You'll have to explain that better, because when I record clips in arrangement my drum racks just keeps on working as before. I might be missing something here, but it would seem your conclusion is incomplete.

So how do you record in arrangement for this to happen? What exactly did support say about this? Did they offer up some alternative ways to record in arrangement?
Make some music!

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:18 pm

Just try this: load a drum rack on a track
Launch arrangement recording
Record a session clip on this track
Stop recording the clip so that it loops
Now try to select or play any pad on Push, it should be frozen. Isn´t it?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:59 pm

peeddrroo wrote:Just try this: load a drum rack on a track
Launch arrangement recording
Record a session clip on this track
Stop recording the clip so that it loops
Now try to select or play any pad on Push, it should be frozen. Isn´t it?
First of all, why should it be frozen? When did I freeze anything? Or did you mean something else?

I'm looping in Arrangement, right? I can still play my pads and overdub record as well. You sure you have "monitoring" set to auto in this track? That's the default.
Make some music!

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:05 pm

Sorry, when i say "frozen" i don't mean it as a frozen track.
It's just that the pads don't react at all, i can't select them anymore nor play them (on Push ; in Livés UI everything is fine).
Yes, the clip that is looping in session gets recorded in arrangement, but this process blocks the drum rack, unless i press the record button on Push to overdub.

Yes, monitoring is set to default.
Anyway, this has been acknowledged by Ableton staff, they told me they are working on the issue.
Good for you if this doesn't trouble you! :)

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:26 pm

Stomkraft, (s)he's recording the clip in Session; but also have the global record enable to record in arrangement.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:30 pm

peeddrroo wrote: Anyway, this has been acknowledged by Ableton staff, they told me they are working on the issue.
I still don't understand what this means in practice here. Is it some kind of overdubbing thing? If so, where is the overdub supposed to take place?

What's the playback status with this issue? Is it Arrangement playback with session override on the rack track?
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:34 pm

Valiumdupeuple wrote:Stomkraft, (s)he's recording the clip in Session; but also have the global record enable to record in arrangement.
OK, but unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean with "global record" that doesn't inactivate my drum racks. I worked on my racks but I don't think they're likely to overcome existing bugs. I do have multiple arm active by unchecking exclusive for that in the prefs. I wonder if that makes a difference.
Make some music!

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:45 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
peeddrroo wrote: Anyway, this has been acknowledged by Ableton staff, they told me they are working on the issue.
I still don't understand what this means in practice here. Is it some kind of overdubbing thing? If so, where is the overdub supposed to take place?

What's the playback status with this issue? Is it Arrangement playback with session override on the rack track?

Hmmm
I explained twice (posts 1 & 4) how to reproduce my problem, step by step (post 4 is quite clear imo)
Did you try reproducing it?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:57 pm

peeddrroo wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:

Hmmm
I explained twice (posts 1 & 4) how to reproduce my problem, step by step (post 4 is quite clear imo)
Did you try reproducing it?
Yes, I thought that much was clear. :P

1. I recorded a short drum rack clip in Session.
2. Made arrangement recording active, the clip was recorded to Arrangement and Arrangement playback was active.
3. I recorded a session clip on this track, which makes that new clip loop over the rest of the arrangement, which in my case was also looping over the just recorded segment (other tracks empty). This of course partly breaks arrangement playback on this drum rack track.
4. I let the new clip loop and also tried looping the segment with arrangement playback.

At no point did the pads stop working. Most likely I did something differently from what you did, but I don't know what. Something obvious I missed?
Make some music!

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:56 pm

I think the OP is talking about something like this:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=193594&hilit=arran ... ecord+push

It's easy to understand with the video that was posted in that thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV-kisH ... e=youtu.be

That thread has some ideas on work-arounds, and I am going to test them soon. If one is strikingly cool, then I will post it here.

Cheers.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:19 pm

mylkoa wrote:I think the OP is talking about something like this:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=193594&hilit=arran ... ecord+push

It's easy to understand with the video that was posted in that thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV-kisH ... e=youtu.be

That thread has some ideas on work-arounds, and I am going to test them soon. If one is strikingly cool, then I will post it here.

Cheers.
That's good you are focused on the issue. I didn't see the OP mentioning overdubbing though. There's probably room for improvement here. The question is just what the improvement should be.

The usual questions are
  • What do you do specifically?
  • What do you expect should happen?
  • What does happen instead?
  • How would you like this to work?
In this case I tried to follow all the given steps from the OP and didn't experience the issue. I dislike strongly how overdubbing work in Arrangement though when there are existing clips there.
Make some music!

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:32 pm

…i hope there will be a solution for this soon since this is also happening with software instruments while recording into arrangement…as soon as there is a clip playing you can't play the track's instrument…overdubbing (= using session record) works but you can't just play along a playing clip with the same instrument…a workaround would be to copy/duplicate the track...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:34 pm

scheffkoch wrote:…i hope there will be a solution for this soon since this is also happening with software instruments while recording into arrangement…as soon as there is a clip playing you can't play the track's instrument…overdubbing (= using session record) works but you can't just play along a playing clip with the same instrument…a workaround would be to copy/duplicate the track...
I think this with overdubbing might be by design. I seem to remember Ableton staff saying that somewhere.

Until the OP chimes in I'm not sure overdubbing is what the objective here is. I'm going to play around with Arrangement a bit and see if I can lose contact with the pads at all later tonight. This does happen if you move away from the track they're in, so it's a possibility.
Make some music!