A Q: re. 128s and workflow

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
logicbomb.de

Re: A Q: re. 128s and workflow

Post by logicbomb.de » Fri May 01, 2015 3:05 pm

Citizen wrote:Thanks Logicbomb - that's awesome info. 8)

So, are you making racks with 16 cells of 128s - is that right? How are the load times on that? What sort of specs are you running?
Yes, I don't always use the full 16 cells, but when I do I prefer Dos Equis, lol no sorry I couldn't resist.

Anyhoo, I'm using a Windows laptop from late 2013, 16GB ram core i5, I don't run into any RAM issues since I'm on 64-bit with 16GB RAM, load times are fairly quick when loading the drum rack, but full projects can take a minute.
Citizen wrote: That makes total sense. I've been scratching my head as to why you can't unfold/fold Drum Racks using Push - especially when you can fold/unfold groups. :roll:

Oh, what is ' Filter Morph' - is that just the Filter Type selector? (Ie. LPF/HPF/NOTCH etc)
Ah, so Filter morph is part of the SAMPLER instrument. you can basically select the filter type M12 for 12dB morph filter and M24 for 24db respectively and you can smoothly blend between LP, BP, HP and notch with a single control. so yeah, its just a slightly more involved filter type selector.

Citizen wrote: Do you leave these unassigned on your rack, and manually assign them to what ever effects that you choose to use in that session, or do you have a dedicated FX chain in your Drum Racks that it is mapped to?

I take it you are not using the 16 Macros M4L device?
I leave them mostly unassigned until start dropping in effects. Still trying to decide what my goto fx rack will be so for now I just assign on an as needed basis. and yes, I'm not using any M4L devices for macros. I use a few max devices but I try to use them sparingly to preserve CPU and stability.
My laptop runs a Core i5 but its an i5U which prioritizes power efficiency over raw CPU power, still, I can get away with decent amount of VSTis and ableton effects and still only be pushing around 22% CPU

I was also pleased to see that when loading some of my older ableton projects from 2003 - 2007 that are pretty much all audio tracks with a few native fx, CPU usage was only 3-4%
Live 9 Suite | Push | APC40 MKI | Bass Station II | Roland Tr-8 | Yamaha EX7 | Novation Remote SL49| NI Komplete Audio 6 | Launchpad Mini| LEAP Motion w/ GECO MIDI |

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri May 01, 2015 6:31 pm

*bookmark*

:D & :lol: at Dos Equis

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Sat May 02, 2015 9:40 am

Is is possible to switch out an individual cell's content (be it a single sample, or a 128) using the Push interface?

Each time I press 'Browse' when I have a cell selected, Live replaces the whole Drum Rack instead of just the cell's content.

logicbomb.de

Post by logicbomb.de » Sun May 03, 2015 12:34 am

Citizen wrote:Is is possible to switch out an individual cell's content (be it a single sample, or a 128) using the Push interface?

Each time I press 'Browse' when I have a cell selected, Live replaces the whole Drum Rack instead of just the cell's content.
No, I don't think so.

I just ried it myself and yes, it did the same thing for me, just replaced the whole drumrack with a sampler instance of the sound I selected
Live 9 Suite | Push | APC40 MKI | Bass Station II | Roland Tr-8 | Yamaha EX7 | Novation Remote SL49| NI Komplete Audio 6 | Launchpad Mini| LEAP Motion w/ GECO MIDI |

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Mon May 11, 2015 10:01 am

logicbomb.de wrote:
Citizen wrote:Is is possible to switch out an individual cell's content (be it a single sample, or a 128) using the Push interface?

No, I don't think so.

I just ried it myself and yes, it did the same thing for me, just replaced the whole drumrack with a sampler instance of the sound I selected

Actually, I tried it myself – and it CAN be done. The trick is to make sure that you have the CELL selected, not the top level drum rack. This is great for the workflow!