How to set up a BCR2000 for VST mapping only?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
smallstonefan

How to set up a BCR2000 for VST mapping only?

Post by smallstonefan » Tue May 05, 2015 11:09 am

Hi all,

I have a Behringer BCR2000 that I just can't figure out how to set up. Here's what I'm trying to do:

1. Set the up BCR to NOT control anything "control surface" related such as volume, sends, etc. I have a Push and a Mackie MCU Pro, so that's not why I bought the BCR.

2. Set up the BCR so I can map it to various parameters in VSTs. For example, I am trying to map a knob to the Mix knob in Tantra, or anything in Omnisphere for Stylus RMX.

I am failing on both of these. Even if I remove the BCR as a control surface in Midi options, some knobs still adjust things on tracks. Also, I have not been able to get any of the VSTs to recognize a knob when using midi learn in their interfaces.

Related: is there a way to sell Ableton to stop automatically detecting this as a control surface?

Thanks to any who can help - I'm really excited by the possibilities but very frustrated by the current realities. :)
Last edited by smallstonefan on Tue May 05, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
james

manimal

Re: How to set up a BCR2000 for VST mapping only?

Post by manimal » Tue May 05, 2015 12:40 pm

To stop the BCR mapping as a control surface just delete the MIDI REMOTE SCRIPT for the BCR in Ableton's folder structure

I just got one of these and that was the first thing i did, i use mine for control of a Shruthi-1 so have not bothered mapping anything in Ableton but
its all pretty simple and can be configured with the BCR Manager software

You should find a Yahoo group for BCR\BCF 2000 if you need resources like pre mapped vst\synth templates etc...
Last edited by manimal on Tue May 05, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I sell Synth presets
https://sellfy.com/BoBSwanS

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue May 05, 2015 12:59 pm

We've got an advanced remote script in the pipeline for the BCR, it's looking pretty impressive so far...

Cheers
D

smallstonefan

Post by smallstonefan » Tue May 05, 2015 6:35 pm

Thanks Manimal - I can't wait to get home and try this! Hopefully, once that script is deleted then the VSTs will recognize the midi from the BCR; keeping my fingers crossed.

S4racen - looking forward to seeing what you guys cook up! :)
james

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue May 05, 2015 6:45 pm

Hopefully be ready for the launch of our new website...

lees delivering the beta to our collective this weekend...

Cheers
D

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:42 am

Do you have controls from your other controllers mapped to things? If they use the same cc and channel as the controls of the BCR you're trying to map, they'll jumble together.

A quick fix might be to first set the BCR to an uncommon midi channel, like anything above 12. ...hopefully that won't interfere with the ability to map within vsts.

Are you trying to midi learn vst instruments or fx? Are you doing midi learn from within the vst? Or trying to do it from Live's midi mapping? All of these can influence how it works. Fx can't be mapped with midi learn unless you make a midi channel in Live that routes directly to them. Most devices can be mapped from Live with the Configure option, but if you are using midi learn within the vst, it is not to be confused with the midi mapping of Live.

smallstonefan

Post by smallstonefan » Wed May 06, 2015 11:23 am

Thanks for the help guys - I've got the BCR2000 working with the Spectrasonics stuff so I'm way ahead. It's not mapping in Tantra, but I think that's Tantra's fault and I'm working with the dev on that.

The help was MUCH appreciated! :D
james

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:32 am

The spectrasonics stuff is instruments, right?

And Tantra is an fx device?

To use midi Learn in Tantra, you need an additional midi channel in Live routed directly into the Tantra device. Otherwise Learn will not function at all.

smallstonefan

Post by smallstonefan » Wed May 06, 2015 1:02 pm

yur2die4 wrote:The spectrasonics stuff is instruments, right?

And Tantra is an fx device?

To use midi Learn in Tantra, you need an additional midi channel in Live routed directly into the Tantra device. Otherwise Learn will not function at all.
this sounds like the issue!

Can you point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to set this up?
james

smallstonefan

Post by smallstonefan » Wed May 06, 2015 1:05 pm

NM: I think I found a resource. I'll give it a try, thanks so much!
james

Xb971

Post by Xb971 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:24 am

I created a Youtube video for this, showing how to set up the BCR2000 mapping settings configuration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8K3pU6M2ys