Save changes to clip names

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
cderum

Save changes to clip names

Post by cderum » Thu May 22, 2003 4:03 pm

Sometimes I just start up Live and mix a bunch of different things into the session view without using a template and without ever naming the tracks or clips. While it only takes a second, I find that naming tracks and clips slows me down when I am actually in the process of creating something new. The problem is that once I save my work without naming the clips/tracks, everything all gets saved as "Track 1 Take 1" or whatever. Once it is saved I have not found a way to rename the tracks or clips so that those name changes are saved in the sounds folder. Thus, when I open my sounds folder in the browser view, I have to audition everything to remember what each clip sounded like. Perhaps there is already a way to do this, but I would like to be able to rename the clips or tracks and have those new names saved in the sounds folder for each live set.

cderum

Post by cderum » Thu May 22, 2003 7:25 pm

I should add that I know you can always change the name of the file in the open file window, but I would like to be able to do that in Live itself and save the changes.

Post by Guest » Fri May 23, 2003 9:23 am

Yup, me too...

e.

Post by Guest » Fri May 23, 2003 3:34 pm

yeah wassup with that. I just changed some clip names in Live in the clip window at the bottom, and it looked successful-the clip name changes stayed when i closed and re-opened the set. But i look in my sounds folder for that set and no name changes--that could lead to some serious confusion, and is somewhat baffling.

Ryan

atom_b

Post by atom_b » Fri May 30, 2003 10:31 am

Simple as that: What you have in your soundfolder is not *clips*, it's the *samples* you where using for creating clips. Very important difference!

So if you rename a clip, you rename a clip, not a sample, makes pretty much sense, for instance, if there's several different clips deriving from one sample, how would you rename this very same sample with different names?

Wouldn't make too much sense to have these samples duplicated x-times in your folder, just because of renaming (especially if they're huge samples). LIVE doesn't work this way, and this is one of its big advantages.

On the other hand there are some requests in this forum to implement a function that lets you crop samples in a self-contained set. And this in combination with the ability to *free* all clips from their *sample dependency* (what would actually be truncating and duplicating all clips to samples - in fact the same as rendering!) would make pretty much sense IMHO - but not the other way round.
Vaio AR11S
XP Pro SP2
2GB RAM
intel T2500 2GHz
200GB RAID-0
RME FF400

cderum

Post by cderum » Fri May 30, 2003 4:36 pm

Understood. All I know though is that my sounds folders are often filled with "Track 5, Take 18," etc . . . and there is no easy way to change those names within Live. If changing the name of the clip also changed the name of the sample, that would not bother me at all. But I guess it depends on how you use Live. :wink:

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Fri May 30, 2003 5:24 pm

maybe if you were able to(n) change the sample name in live's file browser as opposed to the session veiw, you could avoid these issues. or i guess we could all just try and remember to name our tracks before we record.

k

cderum

Post by cderum » Fri May 30, 2003 6:00 pm

dirtystudios wrote:maybe if you were able to(n) change the sample name in live's file browser as opposed to the session veiw, you could avoid these issues. or i guess we could all just try and remember to name our tracks before we record.

k
ah, that would work nicely. i'm sure i will never remember to name my tracks before i record them for the simple reason that i am never quite sure what is going to end up on that track--and then I end up using the same track for many different things anyway. i.e., synths on a vocal track etc . . .

HajoCorsten

renaming clips on-the-fly

Post by HajoCorsten » Fri May 30, 2003 7:57 pm

my 5 cents too: that's definitely needed for a future version. There should also be a way of collectively (re)naming clips (say, all those you selected by mouse-pointer/rubber-band, or all of a color-range: all blue ones).
in the arrange-view: when one selects a row of clips that are tiny bits one after the other, one should be able to rename them collectively, automatically numbered to keep them apart.

I'd love to have the path+actual wav.fil name in that view-slot at the bottom of Live's window edited to my demands: I often can't read it, cause it', i.e., black letters on dark-blue. That should be editable to everyone's own convenience (same with the info-window bottom-left).

another one: clip names that extend the clip's name-window (in the clip-view) should be shown in full, when the mouse hovers for a set time.

same holds for the arrange-view