Transfer music files from iPad to MBP

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
gaijin1717

Transfer music files from iPad to MBP

Post by gaijin1717 » Thu May 21, 2015 6:43 pm

Does anyone know how to transfer music files from an iPad2 to a MBP? I'm on the latest OS for both and just can't seem to figure it out. Apple has always made this unnecessarily difficult, unless I just don't know the trick. Can anyone here help? There's music on that iPad that I just don't have anywhere else, and it sure would be nice to be able to sync it to my MBP without losing the files. I guess I have a different understanding of what sync actually means...

beats me

Re: Transfer music files from iPad to MBP

Post by beats me » Thu May 21, 2015 6:56 pm

Music on what? The iPod app/iTunes library? I’ve found the best solution for that is subscribe to Match for $25 a year and it will sync your iTunes library and playlists (except for video) across all your Macs and idevices.

And, no, it doesn't work 100% flawlessly but what does and it's still better than the 0% you're using now. :P :x

gaijin1717

Post by gaijin1717 » Thu May 21, 2015 7:07 pm

beats me wrote:Music on what? The iPod app/iTunes library?
Yes, the files are in iTunes on the iPad, not saved as data files. So annoying. All of these monthly or yearly subscriptions sound affordable, until you realize that you have a bajillion of them.

Thanks for the reply, though.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 21, 2015 7:49 pm

So having all your tracks and playlists instantly and automatically synced, backed up, and accessible from all your Macs and idevices without ever plugging in a cable isn’t worth $2.08 a month? Seriously?

Please provide a short (or long) list where that $2.08 a month will be better spent.

gaijin1717

Post by gaijin1717 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:32 pm

So snarky, Beats! I think you're missing my point. $2.08 isn't a lot, but when you add subscriptions to Netflix, Spotify, Amazon Prime, iCloud or similar services, etc. etc. it starts getting expensive. You know what it's like living in the Bay Area - we don't all have a lot of extra cash lying around for convenience services.

For me personally, that $2.08 would be better spent going towards any of the other large monthly expenses I have. Do you really care which? Or, just repurchasing the few albums that are on the iPad that I can't get to my computer.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu May 21, 2015 9:04 pm

Apple shouldn't be charging their customers to keep things synced WITHIN THEIR OWN ECOSYSTEM in the first place.
Non-Apple stuff, ok, but 'cmon.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 21, 2015 9:13 pm

I admit full snark. :wink:

But since you use Spotify then this shouldn’t matter at all. Just listen to those tracks on Spotify. Hell, delete all the tracks you own. Spotify has you covered!

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 21, 2015 9:29 pm

shadx312 wrote:Apple shouldn't be charging their customers to keep things synced WITHIN THEIR OWN ECOSYSTEM in the first place.
Non-Apple stuff, ok, but 'cmon.

Let’s say, God forbid, your house burns down with all your computers, backup drives, and portable devices in it. It’s not worth just north of $2 a month to at least know you didn’t lose your entire organized music library?

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu May 21, 2015 10:08 pm

My entire music library has been uploaded to Google Music, which they doubled their song amount for free users a few months ago, so I've still got ~20k I can upload. For free.

BOOYAH
ImageImage

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu May 21, 2015 10:09 pm

gaijin1717 wrote:
beats me wrote:Music on what? The iPod app/iTunes library?
Yes, the files are in iTunes on the iPad, not saved as data files. So annoying. All of these monthly or yearly subscriptions sound affordable, until you realize that you have a bajillion of them.
Where does these music files originate from? If you made them yourself, the app in question that maid them should be able to sync its content. An alternative solution, also not free is Emazing. $29.95, but 10% off now it seems. Worth the fee for the freedom it gets you. That said, getting iTunes Match was a no-brainer. Dropping HBO wasn't a no-brainer, but a fair trade for making more music.

Apple really need to clean up their act on content. It's supposed to be easy to do the complicated. Don't get me started on availability in different country stores. Much of this is the fault of record and movie companies of course, but Apple should fight harder.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu May 21, 2015 10:11 pm

beats me wrote: Spotify has you covered!
Yeah, right.
Make some music!

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu May 21, 2015 10:22 pm

Additionally between the spaces offered with Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive, all my other important shit is clouded. Only thing that's imaged onto a backup drive is my sample library, which is ~200gb (which could honestly be trimmed to around ~20,because I'm not really into samples libraries, more just my own custom ones from records)).
I have a nice Android app that lets me handle all those accounts, too, which means I don't need to switch apps for each one. PERTY FERKIN HANDY

Going back to OP, I thought the point of Apple shit was so that someone didn't have to ask to figure out how to do something, and they seem to be getting pretty convoluted.
Please understand I'm not bashing to get under your skin, beats.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 21, 2015 10:26 pm

shadx312 wrote:Going back to OP, I thought the point of Apple shit was so that someone didn't have to ask to figure out how to do something, and they seem to be getting pretty convoluted.
Please understand I'm not bashing to get under your skin, beats.

It all comes down to “I just want to drag shit around in folders”. If you can’t do that than people just want to be mad.

I’m curious how the Google method works though, sincerely. I’d ask specifics but I’m heading out the door….

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri May 22, 2015 9:20 am

shadx312 wrote: I thought the point of Apple shit was so that someone didn't have to ask to figure out how to do something, and they seem to be getting pretty convoluted.
Most of the limitations, if not all, are due to record and movie companies and licensing. If you just want to move files around there's airdrop or a myriad of apps. Besides this I disagree OS X / IOS is getting convoluted to any large extent.
It's just the iTunes ecosystem and other apps that needs to be rethinked and rebuilt.
iTunes, which concern itself with syncing, can be complained about intelligently and coherently directly to Apple in this feedback form. Apple may be big, but they do listen to massive complaints. Now and then they retract bad decisions too. If you've chosen Apple you should expect the best and tell Apple when they fail you in an intelligent and coherent fashion. Never settle for anything less than that.
Make some music!

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri May 22, 2015 2:16 pm

Ok /thumbs up

Edit: i got this error when posting an emoji from my phone keyboard, even though it displayed fine in preview:
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\x91\x8C' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
ImageImage