RIP: BB

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Machinesworking

Re: RIP: BB

Post by Machinesworking » Fri May 22, 2015 4:43 am

shadx312 wrote:We are talking different languages. I think half the time I'm either a poor arguer or missing the boat and then going off on my own rant, so admittedly I might not even be respectfully arguing. It's not a noble trait. It's definitely something I need to fix; it bleeds through to AFK. Nihilism might be part of it, or knowing that this is still not that serious in the grand scheme of things; but that still doesn't really respect the debate, does it?

Consider an optimistic viewpoint that may work out. We've got the first generation that's gotten used to growing up with being able to broadcast themselves to the world. Now, as much as your average bear can feel more than average because some other average joe is getting a following, it propels them to broadcast their average-ness. However, this also creates competition, so they'll have to excel. On top of that, the curve is just going to get higher and higher over the generations. The pessimistic rebuttal to that would be that most people have the memory of a mouse, which means they don't really learn shit, no matter how much of the same old shit gets repeated to them over a lifetime.
For example, we have 60+ years of television shows that show the best and worst sides of humanity, and morals to the stories like 'don't be a dick', 'think before murdering or raping or stealing or at least ask yourself if it's worth the jailtime','wear a condom',etc. Millions of useful information in how to deal with ourselves and other people. And not just the past 60 years of television but movies and books as well. We have thousands of years of useful information on how we could live fulfilling and useful lives and the consideration of others yet for some reason every day all over people still keep doing the same old bad shit regardless. Some cultures are worse than others, for sure. Main point being is regardless of the curve there may be no difference, as time has shown. So, that leads nowhere, unfortunately? I suppose I (meaning you) would retaliate by becoming at least an underground hit addressing this issue. I'm a fan of shaming average overrated people. I think it's more to unsuccessfully point out to the people that like overrated average things that they've been programmed to keep the bar low when it should be set higher. But maybe I should just focus on my own bar.
Good rant. 8)

I agree, it's cool that a single boy or girl can put out music for peanuts, with the internet distribution is a matter of marketing etc. That's a different world to grow up in.
Seriously I am extremely jealous of 18 year olds in that sense, the whole of sound is available for less than a summers worth of part time work.

My fear, what drags me down is that they also grow up in a world with game shows like America's Got Talent, The Voice etc. With DJ's being far more famous than rock bands and with looks being a number one driving force in music. It's always had a selling point, but you had some truly odd looking ducks in bands from the 60's through the 80's. Now almost all bands are TV personality looking pukes. There is no genuine argument for authentic people, J-Lo claims she's 'real', Miley Cyrus thinks she has an authentic punk rebellion thing going on. We are living in Brave New World, Huxley is laughing and crying a little in his grave.

Last band I heard that had me excited for a second was Youth Code. Just listened to their full record and it's not just that they're data mining late 80's early 90's techno industrial, they're a freaking blueprint, it's like the last 20 years didn't happen. I'm hardwired to like them, but I really wish they had mutated the sound a little.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri May 22, 2015 7:08 am

Cool I'll check out Youth Code in a minute.

when it comes to those reality shows, Steve Hughes puts nicely my shared hatred towards them and the people who want to participate in them.
I was just saying a couple nights ago after a commercial for Bachelorette came on that they should all be shot just for wanting to be on it.
That is where I can agree on the death penalty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g-N1FC ... e=youtu.be

'I just want to be famous...'

I've considered more and more seriously about being an ex-pat largely because a large part of this culture pays attention to that kind of shit, let alone is proactively absorbs it.
If I can freelance in this city with monthly spurts of dryness then surely I'll do fine in an Asian country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mgn-fX ... 1YtDRncAUP
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri May 22, 2015 10:44 am

Machinesworking wrote:me and stringtapper agreeing on something in no way means we work as a team, we agree that you can bring a thread down with your constant need to ad conflict in etc. that's about it. We just happen to be respectful about how we disagree,
8O
You didn't seriously just write that?! :x

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri May 22, 2015 10:54 am

Machinesworking wrote: So yes I am knocking electronic musicians for not taking any time to learn scales, for adding to the shallow-ness of music in general,
And you chose the B.B. RIP thread to do so, just to then complain about people dragging down a RIP thread... :roll:
but unlike you I'm not posting to argue or upset people,
WOW, the disconnect with reality is just astonishing 8O

but because I wish for better music, and again if one person thinks and bothers to get excited about music instead of getting excited that they cookie cutter made yet another mediocre song that 'sounds' pro, it's worth arguing with you over! :x
So why not argue about this then, instead of starting with the petty personal attacks, yet again, just because I gave a well argued opinion to what you said?!
And seriously, if you consider calling another ones argument "non-sensical" a personal attack, that gets you on one of your agressive rampages, maybe you shouldn't post it on a PUBLIC forum?! Just a thought... ;-)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri May 22, 2015 11:13 am

shadx312 wrote: I've considered more and more seriously about being an ex-pat largely because a large part of this culture pays attention to that kind of shit, let alone is proactively absorbs it.
What makes you think it's different elsewhere?! It certainly isn't in Germany, I can tell you that :x

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri May 22, 2015 2:08 pm

I know it happens elsewhere, but not everywhere. I need to explore anyways.
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri May 22, 2015 3:43 pm

shadx312 wrote:I know it happens elsewhere, but not everywhere. I need to explore anyways.
I think if you look for non-superficial cultures (for lack of a better term) you should not look at specific countries but for specific sub-cultures within these countries.
Because people are stupid mind-controlled sheep pretty much everywhere. But people are also varied, pretty much everywhere. Which should lend some hope.

Anyways, if you do indeed find such a place, I hope you'll share that information here 8)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri May 22, 2015 4:05 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:me and stringtapper agreeing on something in no way means we work as a team, we agree that you can bring a thread down with your constant need to ad conflict in etc. that's about it. We just happen to be respectful about how we disagree,
8O
You didn't seriously just write that?! :x
Proving my ESL comment from a long time ago is dead on. A native english speaker wouldn't need me to say, "We just happen to be respectful about how we disagree with each other". The extra affirmation that I'm talking about stringtapper and I and our disagreements isn't needed since the sentence is complete. Have you ever seen us go off on each other? I can name at least four subjects that we disagree on...

Again that comment in no way was made to be rude like you took it, but because you misunderstand at times basic civility, and don't exhibit it yourself at times. In general though you do a great job, and I commend you on your 99.5% grasp of english, I know maybe a dozen german words. :oops:

Basically I think you kill the messenger with this, because you have issues with me, you think I mean something condescending when I point out that you're not getting the basic thought I'm putting on the screen here.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri May 22, 2015 5:09 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: So yes I am knocking electronic musicians for not taking any time to learn scales, for adding to the shallow-ness of music in general,
And you chose the B.B. RIP thread to do so, just to then complain about people dragging down a RIP thread... :roll:
Read my original post here. The work ethic BB had stands out. I think it's worth noting in comparison to what people are doing today. apparently you did not.. Also take note that while me and shadx312 aren't in total agreement and both speak english as a first language, we focused more on the things we agree upon than the things we don't. Me and you should probably do that more.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat May 23, 2015 12:31 am

RIP BB...

hopefully your family won't start suing the shit out of those you influenced...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat May 23, 2015 2:26 am

H20nly wrote:RIP BB...

hopefully your family won't start suing the shit out of those you influenced...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sat May 23, 2015 3:06 am

@MW - native speakers of English can also fail to appreciate nuances of language too, while some ESL speakers I've met have such a command of subtlety as to take your breath away. I guess your experiences while living outside your home country have been totally different to mine.

But please try and claim some extra brotherhood with fellow native speakers of a language if that floats your boat.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat May 23, 2015 4:13 am

dazzer wrote:@MW - native speakers of English can also fail to appreciate nuances of language too, while some ESL speakers I've met have such a command of subtlety as to take your breath away. I guess your experiences while living outside your home country have been totally different to mine.

But please try and claim some extra brotherhood with fellow native speakers of a language if that floats your boat.
I don't feel any brotherhood towards anyone because we speak the same language? What a strange claim to make? Is it more possible you misinterpret my intentions as ESL? yes. Does that mean anything beyond that? no!

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sat May 23, 2015 4:35 am

Machinesworking wrote:
dazzer wrote:@MW - native speakers of English can also fail to appreciate nuances of language too, while some ESL speakers I've met have such a command of subtlety as to take your breath away. I guess your experiences while living outside your home country have been totally different to mine.

I don't feel any brotherhood towards anyone because we speak the same language? What a strange claim to make? Is it more possible you misinterpret my intentions as ESL? yes. Does that mean anything beyond that? no!
Totally confused by your post as you put question marks everywhere at the end of affirmative sentence construction (i.e. I've no idea what you're supposed to be asking/telling me).

The claim I made was in the first part of my post and still holds true.

(by ESL you mean English as a second language, right?)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat May 23, 2015 6:17 am

dazzer wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:

Totally confused by your post as you put question marks everywhere at the end of affirmative sentence construction (i.e. I've no idea what you're supposed to be asking/telling me).

The claim I made was in the first part of my post and still holds true.

(by ESL you mean English as a second language, right?)
OK this is good really. In casual sentence structure like internet forums, as a way to convey emotion, the question mark is used sometimes to mean that the person writing it is confused by the allegation. I'm surprised and confused that you think in any way that I feel like people who speak english as a first language are more brotherly? <-- I will at times add a question mark to a sentence like that to denote my confusion. Yes, ESL is short for english as a second language.

So yeah, not in an essay or report would you use a question mark like that, but it's quite common to use it to denote confusion in written conversation. This is exactly what I'm talking about though, nobody who speaks english as a first language would have this issue. You can't really convey it in the written form but the inflection you give a question or statement can indicate confusion. For instance "Why would you want to do that?" asked with a certain inflection of voice would indicate it's less a question and more a condemnation of your choice to do that.

Admittedly this is my fault, I tend to forget that subtle things can be the hardest to master and often have to attempt to look at what I write with that in mind. Often failing.