How do you guys ''organize'' your Ableton Push

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CoreyJayzMusic

How do you guys ''organize'' your Ableton Push

Post by CoreyJayzMusic » Sat May 23, 2015 12:51 am

well, im gonna man up and start organizing some of my favorite samples and make some more templates and presets, and was wondering how do some of you organize your ableton folders to look at on the push...

basically, i want to press as little buttons as possible and not keep scrolling through screen from screen and go 7 banks in just to find out i really didn't like that bass sound i picked.

Any ideas or theorys or tricks to go about this in a more easy and less time consuming fashion?

i've seen this video on youtube quite a while ago and can't seem to find it again, but basically this guy did a "trick" or something and basically copied the names from abletons build it folders (like in sounds and instuments) to the user library or something and he was navigating on push pretty quickly..

anyway, any advice would be cool, thanks in advance.
Ableton Suite 9.1, Komplette 9, Push, Novation LaunchKey49, Korg PadKontrol.

braduro

Re: How do you guys ''organize'' your Ableton Push

Post by braduro » Sat May 23, 2015 5:53 pm

http://www.macableton.com/Ableton_live_ ... owser.html

http://jointhestudio.com/blog/2013/04/1 ... -dj-limbs/

I'm sifting through these as I write this, but creating these subfolders is a good place to start. Thing is, you still need to put stuff in them; they're not smart folders and they are not tags. So having a bunch of folders that you have yet to populate could be misleading. Still, I think its a good idea to conform yoru organizational system to what's already supported...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat May 23, 2015 7:43 pm

*bookmark*

Push is dusty...

CoreyJayzMusic

Post by CoreyJayzMusic » Sun May 24, 2015 2:20 am

braduro wrote:http://www.macableton.com/Ableton_live_ ... owser.html

I'm sifting through these as I write this, but creating these subfolders is a good place to start. Thing is, you still need to put stuff in them; they're not smart folders and they are not tags. So having a bunch of folders that you have yet to populate could be misleading. Still, I think its a good idea to conform yoru organizational system to what's already supported...

i think i get what you're trying to say.... i do understand i have to make my own presets and everything with instrument racks or whatever and save them individually myself....

but i just wanted to know whats your guys theories on getting around the push, and if anyone knew that little hack about coping the pushes same folders, apparently he makes it much easier to navigate through, hopefully i can find that video again, anyways ill check out those links now.

CoreyJayzMusic

Post by CoreyJayzMusic » Sun May 24, 2015 2:27 am

braduro wrote:http://www.macableton.com/Ableton_live_ ... owser.html

Okay i just clicked that link, everything seems useless until i got to the end; "List of names you can use for User Folders so presets will show in the Sounds Category"

this is something like i was looking for, not exactly as this would take some time setting up, but its a really good little hack there.

morgo

Post by morgo » Thu May 28, 2015 2:40 pm

Hey man let me know how you get on. Ive had push for about 6 months and I thought it would be as big a game changer as maschine but honestly i mainly only use it for notes / scales mode.. l

hennessey

Post by hennessey » Thu May 28, 2015 3:02 pm

morgo wrote:Hey man let me know how you get on. Ive had push for about 6 months and I thought it would be as big a game changer as maschine but honestly i mainly only use it for notes / scales mode.. l
Yea, put me in the "it's dusty" camp. The way the browser works kinda killed it for me.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:12 pm

Well, if your Live set itself is a default set with racks on each channel..

When you choose a device that is already loaded in Live and hit Browse, Push (or the browser) jumps directly to where that device Came from. Just as it does for Hot Swap...which are practically the same thing.

So if you have a directory commited to all bass presets, and one for all lads. One for all drums electronic, another for all drums perc etc, you can have an instance of each of those loaded into a Default Set in Live as kind of anchors or bookmarks.

Now if you go to your Bass channel, there might be a generic bass synth there that is saved inside a folder of all your favorite bass sounds, so that when you hit Browse, you get to hop right into that assortment of sounds.

...you can actually take this a step further in a specific way..

bwax

Post by bwax » Thu May 28, 2015 3:46 pm

hennessey wrote:
morgo wrote:Hey man let me know how you get on. Ive had push for about 6 months and I thought it would be as big a game changer as maschine but honestly i mainly only use it for notes / scales mode.. l
Yea, put me in the "it's dusty" camp. The way the browser works kinda killed it for me.
My Push is very dusty (also seems to be a fantastic magnet for cat fuzz). I basically just use it for playing weird riffs, an alternate note input device to keyboards. Everything else is just so much easier and faster with the dreaded mouse.

Aside from some basic Push tutorials a while back, seems Ableton have been extremely silent. Maybe already working on Push mkII?

Sure looks cool on my desk though. :lol:

eh, never mind - seems they do have a couple new features coming in 9.2. That's good.