Making Music - the book

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Halo Gravity

Re: Making Music - the book

Post by Halo Gravity » Wed May 20, 2015 9:09 am

I'm pretty sure with a little elbow grease the kindle version can be converted to a pdf. Aldo there is a free kindle player out there, I do not own a kindle I just read it on my PC.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu May 21, 2015 3:24 pm

Just ordered my hard copy ;)

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Thu May 21, 2015 4:47 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Just ordered my hard copy ;)
Same here :)
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Sat May 23, 2015 11:38 pm

Book arrived today. Very nice quality book. I like the way it's organized too, you can just reference it when you have some time and flip around through the ideas. They are broken up into 3 colors each representing ideas that are focused around Starting problems, progressing problems, and finishing problems. So you jump to the section of the book depending on where you are in the track creation process and get ideas to help you through it if you get stuck.

It's very "idea" based and is meant for DAW's in general so I can see this book having longevity as music production processes change. Glad to have it on my book shelf :)
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Sun May 24, 2015 2:02 am

yur2die4 wrote:Just ordered my hard copy ;)
Ordered mine Thursday, after getting the email notification they were back in "limited" stock.
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

Carl Lofgren

Post by Carl Lofgren » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:50 am

Hey guys - a short review up on my blog.
http://www.plughugger.com/blog/review-m ... -producers

/C
PLUGHUGGER - deep music tech review blog - www.plughugger.com

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:22 pm

I wanted the hard copy but I just bought apple book version. It's a really good read. Very helpful.

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:06 am

I managed to snag one of the "limited stock" of the hard cover edition that became available recently, and I'm really glad I waited for the physical copy. To me, the difference between reading a physical, hard-cover book and an ebook is like the difference between playing an analog hardware synth and playing a plugin -- both can get you to the same destination, but the journeys getting there are quite different.

I'm not sure what I can add that hasn't already been said. It's a fantastic resource that helps to fill in the gaps between the technical aspects of using a DAW to make music and the philosophical aspects of making any kind of art.

In the introduction, DeSantis says "Making Music is an attempt to help people who are comfortable with the basics of music production at a technical level but who still find music-making to be a difficult process (which I suspect is all of us!)" Whether or not that describes all of us, it certainly describes me. And I think this book hits the mark squarely. I'll go so far as to say it's probably the most valuable and useful thing I've bought from Ableton. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Live and use it almost exclusively, but this book goes beyond Live.

Thank you, Dennis, for writing this, and thank you Ableton for all the effort that goes into publishing and printing such a work. Well done.

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:02 am

Most of the time, working on music feels like a thankless chore. Thought it was just me! You feel my pain Dennis. :lol:

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:42 pm

That Statement Most definitely describes ALL OF US!!!!!!!!!
If it didn't, we'd be on tour, getting paid, and living life.
But..............sadly we are on this forum instead bitching about PDC and making endless Ableton vs. Bitwig threads. lol
Honestly, this forum and every forum I read EVERY SINGLE DAY OF MY LIFE (KVR, Synthtopia, CDM, DJTT, NI, IDMF........etc. infinity) is probably 94% of the reason I never finish music.

Do you see any successful artists posting daily on here............?

I just realized that sounded completely dick-ish. I promise it was not meant to be as I am speaking of myself too! :) This is basically me yelling at myself in an attempt to get motivated. You guys are all awesome. If I'm being honest, I've learned a lot from this forum. But it may be time to shut down the web-browser and fire up the DAW!!!!!!! Permanently!!!!

I too love physical books much more than digital but I'm fine w/ reading on a iPad. This book is in-valuable.
Thanx Dennis......Good Lookin' Out Bro-Seph Stalin!!!!! LOL

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:03 pm

Theo Void wrote:That Statement Most definitely describes ALL OF US!!!!!!!!!
Well this and many other sections of the book I found to be really encouraging. I can read live tips/tricks and general music techniques all day but to have someone say 'Don't worry I get like this too have you tried this, or how about that...' It's like having my own digital mentor :lol:

Theo Void wrote:
Do you see any successful artists posting daily on here............?
There are folks here getting gigs, but I guess success is relative and those who are getting the gigs might want bigger gigs, more money, acknowledgment etc
Theo Void wrote: I just realized that sounded completely dick-ish.
Not at all. 8)

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:19 pm

Hi folks,

FYI: the printed book is back in stock now.

Best,