Ableton Live has become an unreliable mess.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
phaded

Re: Ableton Live has become an unreliable mess.

Post by phaded » Wed May 27, 2015 2:24 am

H20nly wrote:keep gong, you've almost got it fixed!
thx 4 bumping the thread smart guy xx

C.E.O. of The Zero-Fucks Commission

Davo

Post by Davo » Wed May 27, 2015 2:33 am

Hey phaded, I thought you were really busy with projects? You seem to have a lot of time for aggravation.

phaded

Post by phaded » Wed May 27, 2015 2:47 am

Davo wrote:Hey phaded, I thought you were really busy with projects? You seem to have a lot of time for aggravation.
For this particular topic I've made a little extra time, does that suit you OK?

Trust, I'll be back to work and those of you who live for forum life can go back to chasing your tails. I've made <50 posts here since 2009. There is good reason for that. =]

Thx for bumping... Your support is appreciated!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:15 am

I don't know if this is related, I'm sure it is just one of many possible things which can affect Live's performance,

I had no issues (Win 8.1 Live 9.1.5 I think, not the latest because the updates haven't really had any major enhancements or bug fixes and I'm waiting on the 2 update..less pushing Python folders around) until a few days ago when I walked away and came back to my open set on my computer which was sleeping. As I woke it, it was very sluggish. Any click that I attempted took a good 8 seconds to respond. I tried to sort of wake my CPU if that was the problem by attempting to push it by making my computer multitask.

Then I figured my computer just needed a restart. Well, I was done for the day so I shut down.

Today I came back to it and it continued having issues after a fresh startup. Next assumption was that I had opened it too eagerly, while the desktop was still loading. Close Live, open it, same, restart and wait for a bit before starting.

The issue still persisted and this is when I began to worry because I've been reading these threads about it slowing down tremendously!! I was worried Live might never function the same for me haha.

Well, the next step for me was to switch audio interface drivers and turn off midi devices.

It turned out that turning off most of my Control Surfaces (set to none) did the trick. It may have particularly been the LK script, but I'm not positive. The moment I did this, Live jumped into action.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, maybe try turning off control surface scripts. All the ones which you aren't using at that moment.

I know that this was a unique case, so I'm sure it won't resolve most of people's issues. Good luck guys!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed May 27, 2015 5:29 am

mholloway wrote:
H20nly wrote: @ M. Holloway... Do you have a lot of previous revs installed? Beta or otherwise?
Since there are contributors here that have a success story with similar specs, maybe finding the difference is the key to moving forward. If there are prior revs on your system, maybe washing them out and/or renaming the install directories so you can get a seemingly clean install could help.

Especially M4L
I do, yeah!

I will do some cleanup this week re: the old revs and see if anything changes. I'll post any results I find here.

-M
Cool, I hope it helps.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed May 27, 2015 6:10 am

yur2die4 wrote: So, I guess what I'm saying is, maybe try turning off control surface scripts. All the ones which you aren't using at that moment.

I know that this was a unique case, so I'm sure it won't resolve most of people's issues. Good luck guys!
i wouldn't be surprised if many of the slow launching and set opening issues are caused by hangs connecting to external equipment or plugins.

i do agree that in general Live is a relatively fragile environment where bugs are harder to solve internally, especially with the addition of M4L.

as usual, comparisons to linear DAWs like Cubase/Logic/Reaper/Reason/etc. aren't fair; the nature of Live is inherently more complex internally. a comparison to Bitwig is more reasonable, but then of course they started with a clean slate not so long ago...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed May 27, 2015 6:13 am

phaded wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:The only possible explanation is Live is badly interacting with some driver or plug in, or that Ableton themselves did it with bad code overwrites from betas that interact badly etc.
See, this is right where you are stuck in the mud too. Quit pretending like you have all the answers, b/c its nowhere near that cut and dry obviously. This is a code related issue with Ableton. You have no magic wand.

And yet again- LOOK at the forum topics dude. The issues laid out in this thread are far from isolated. Stuff a sock in it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You seem to think I have issues with my system? I've stated over and over I don't Live is working just fine here. I am so glad you have problems. I hope they make you miserable. Really. You haven't from what I can tell took but a tiny amount of time to figure out what's going wrong on your system, and you're raving mad about it. :lol: :lol:

But this isn't your first rodeo?? You're in for a world of hurt then.

I've isolated issues on my system dozens of times, and out of that only about two were bugs in Live 100%. Mostly Live is oddly crippled by drivers and plug ins.
Random crashes if Battery 3 was in a track, though in no way were you using the GUI in Battery 3.... and my favorite, an update to a Logitech mouse driver crippled Beat Clock syncing to a Poly Evolver. Of course because Ableton had over implemented the Beat Clock in Live when syncing to Logic or DP it worked a heck of a lot better. I ranted for days about how shitty Abletons Beat Clock was before disabling the driver that realizing it was Logitech that were at fault. Those are just the two that come to mind, but I realized a long time ago I would rather have a solution than sit there being butthurt about software. Part of that solution includes realizing that if someone does not have the issues I have that it's due to some combination difference in what we're using.

This is how you would approach it I'm guessing? WTF? I FUCKING PAID GOOD MONEY FOR THIS MOUSE! FUCK NI! FUCK ABLETON!

I have massive amounts of sympathy for people who have problems with their expensive music software, but if they refuse to try to figure out how to make it work, (I didn't use Battery 3 until an update came out from NI etc.) , if they get angry and go on flame wars with people about it without seeming to have made much of an effort to isolate their problems?

You're crying while your dying? I ain't giving a fuck! :|

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed May 27, 2015 8:33 am

So,the point of the thread is... why only Live loses its stability just for one tiny mouse driver, isn't it? :lol: If so, why don't stop making user download shitty quicktime, java or bonjour to use one of Live's feature. :lol: The deed comes back upon the doer....

phaded

Post by phaded » Wed May 27, 2015 1:16 pm

Machinesworking wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You seem to think I have issues with my system? I've stated over and over I don't Live is working just fine here. I am so glad you have problems. I hope they make you miserable. Really. You haven't from what I can tell took but a tiny amount of time to figure out what's going wrong on your system, and you're raving mad about it. :lol: :lol: |
Not even reading your whole post. You're so stupid you missed the joke.

Thanks for bumping tho xx
Last edited by phaded on Wed May 27, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phaded

Post by phaded » Wed May 27, 2015 1:18 pm

pencilrocket wrote:So,the point of the thread is... why only Live loses its stability just for one tiny mouse driver, isn't it? :lol: If so, why don't stop making user download shitty quicktime, java or bonjour to use one of Live's feature. :lol: The deed comes back upon the doer....
Right... the planets have to alight juuuuust perfecty, AND THEN you'll have a stable session. I does help if you stand outside, hold antennae while standing on one leg and wear a tinfoil hat. At least that's what someone said earlier in this thread iirc. :mrgreen:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed May 27, 2015 4:44 pm

phaded wrote: Thanks for bumping tho xx
Yes, because you bawling about Live needing to be fixed, and doing absolutely nothing to figure out whats' wrong with your system, on a forum Ableton rarely visit, that's not advertised at all on their main site, is a super important thread that's going to do what for you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

phaded

Post by phaded » Wed May 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Yes, because you bawling about Live needing to be fixed, and doing absolutely nothing to figure out whats' wrong with your system
Why don't you go ahead and thumb your nose at the others that have echoed issues listed in this thread. I'm sure none of us have any idea what we are doing:

cmreal04
rtcardinal
bwax
SLEEarts
re:dream
sonik777
plopseaw
Nokatus
musikmachine

I get that you're just trying to troll me now, because your arguments have crumbled to pieces otherwise, but... basically you're an idiot =]
phaded wrote:Lastly- I personally re-installed EVERYTHING at the top of the year on my system. It was overdue maintenance, but I wanted to see for myself if these issues in dealing with Ableton were due to a cranky, cluttered OS, or if it was Live itself that was at the heart of the instability. Well guess what? Fresh OS, same problems. I can't stress how little is on this box aside from Audio Apps. I've worked in IT, and as I said prior: its a bit odd to me that Ableton Apologists tend to assume that its always an issue with the end user.
phaded wrote: I wouldn't waste my breath if I hadn't already adopted good practices in my approach to how I set up my system, what software and hardware I use and how they interact.
phaded wrote:Also the desktop's a dedicated (i.e. stays off the internet, nothing but audio apps), cleanly installed system. It's 2 x 2.66 Quad core, 16GB Ram, separate dedicated Solid State Drives for system, projects and samples, so don't go there.

and finally:
phaded wrote:(side note, your internal Machine might not be working.. fwiw) :lol:
italics and bold text for the dense guy :mrgreen:

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:32 am

I can also confirm the instability of Ableton, and I'm on Windows 7 64 bit, which is running on a custom built ADK laptop. I have never used a more buggy piece of software in the 15+ years of my computing experience. I still have not contacted support as I will be switching to Windows 10 when it launches and plan on starting with a fresh install when updating. Mainly my issues have been with M4L so I have just given up on it completely. Now even adding a blank Operator to a new project can lag a bit so I have been working in audio as much as possible. I'm starting to suspect my computer just has too much crap in it and I really hope things will fix themselves when I do a fresh install.

However, I think Ableton hasnt been very transparent in admitting that there are stability issues. They must have plenty of feedback from the beta testers at this point to issue a newsletter discussing how us users can fix the problems ourselves. Maybe there are some conflicting drivers many of us have installed that we can get rid of, update etc.. so we can be more pro-active on our end to maintain our systems so these issues dont build up.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu May 28, 2015 7:01 am

phaded wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Yes, because you bawling about Live needing to be fixed, and doing absolutely nothing to figure out whats' wrong with your system
Why don't you go ahead and thumb your nose at the others that have echoed issues listed in this thread. I'm sure none of us have any idea what we are doing:

cmreal04
rtcardinal
bwax
SLEEarts
re:dream
sonik777
plopseaw
Nokatus
musikmachine
None of those people are being asses about it.
It's really that simple.

I'm using Live right now, it's working great, but I'm the idiot.
You reinstalled your entire system but couldn't find what was hosing Live, but I'm the idiot.

There's something wrong with your setup if other people do not have your problems.
That doesn't mean-
A: It's your fault
B: It's not Abletons' fault that computer x with driver y is a buggy mess.
C: That it can't be a driver, hell if you're on Windows it can be a driver for a piece of hardware etc.
D: That you can't do something about it.

Yes, Ableton should do something etc. but with tens of thousands of possible software and hardware combinations out there the more you or any of us do to figure out what's hosing your system the better. I figured out the beat clock issue I mentioned, Ableton and others figured out the Battery 3 issue I had so a call to tech support solved it, at least in the sense that I didn't use Battery 3 until NI fixed it.

I've been you in the past, screaming about how worthless x piece of software is etc. and it sucks.
Find out what's hosing your system or move to a different DAW, but acting like everyone who doesn't have your problems should hate Ableton Live as much as you do is just whinging with no way for you to be happy. Do something different, whether it's moving to another DAW or installing on another computer or trying a different sound card. What you're doing right now isn't helping you.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu May 28, 2015 7:53 am

that. up there ^

In my first post in the thread, I mentioned how cool I thought it was that everyone was being civil about their issues and not starting a flame war and then you proceeded to get all fired up. What's wrong with people helping/trying to help people? Looking at the flip side?? You're so sure that because it's happening to you and others that it's something wrong with Live. Nobody disagreed. It was only the thought of other contributing factors that was being considered... is that so unlikely? If 20,000 other Live users chimed in with their success stories where would your voice be then? They're out there... Why not keep the thread useful and digestible instead of ranting and bemoaning? Surely it helps your cause more than war paint and chest pounding.