ARE USING LOOPS Acceptable among community

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
EasyWorkflow

ARE USING LOOPS Acceptable among community

Post by EasyWorkflow » Fri May 29, 2015 6:46 pm

Hello....what I am trying to get at is many folks who have been at this Ableton software for a number of years almost thinks if you don't design your own sounds, your music is not authentic. I get where they are coming from. But that would hold true for all the sample packs sold as well...correct? Also, I just purchased Stylus RMX made from Spectrasonics which is God's gift to people like me who can create my "own" loops quickly and use them as a starting point to get ideas down. Does anyone use a similar work flow. My main skill is being a professional guitarist who understand Ableton and was bless when the Fishman Triple Play MIDI pickup came out because that has leveled the playing field. I can create, bass lines, melodies, chords or anything I hear in my head and all I need is my guitar. That's why I want to partner up with someone in NY Westchester area and have some type of duo. Or has anyone seen what "The Funk Hunters" are doing combining Ableton with live musicians, That's what I want to do and have an Ableton guru doing his thing while I do mine. Hit me up with a PM in you live in this area.

Peace

BobbyD

beats me

Re: ARE USING LOOPS Acceptable among community

Post by beats me » Fri May 29, 2015 7:07 pm

I’ve actually been exploring Apple Loops a lot lately, stock and creating my own from sample libraries. For my own peace of mind I just try to steer clear of melodic loops, especially making them the focus or hook of the song as is. However I’ve seen some producers do some cool editing to the stock melodic loops and (cheesy) vocal loops that moves them far from the original source.

I recently went through a ton of classic drum/break loops I have, not Apple Loops. And I was constantly going 8O at all the tracks I recognized them from. It really took the mystery and perceived genius out of 80’s and 90’s sampling for me. Maye the first guy who found it was a genius, but not the 50 other producers that used the same thing after them.

M-bition

Post by M-bition » Fri May 29, 2015 7:11 pm

I am not fond of the samplepacks with complete loops in it. Using them is imo not creative and/or authentic.
Using sample-hits in a creative way will make your music more authentic. Most of the time I "re-design" those sample-hits any way. And I most likely will not use samples which have a very recognizable sound.

98% of the time I would say no to using loops from sample packs etc.
What if you would record some loops from "The Funk Hunters" and use these in your performance while taking credit for it ?
Would you dare to say:'Well I let you hear some sounds but a lot of it was made by another band and I just played their loops with my computer"

These discussions never end......Be creative, be authentic.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri May 29, 2015 7:32 pm

NO. In fact you are violating community laws by even mentioning it. Expect community law enforcement knocking down your door any minute now.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Fri May 29, 2015 7:41 pm

Saying "Are using loops acceptable" instead of "Is using loops acceptable" isn't acceptable. The Ableton grammar police have noticed and know where you live. ;)
Garry Knight

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri May 29, 2015 7:50 pm

Who cares

CFM

Post by CFM » Fri May 29, 2015 8:31 pm

"Who cares" - too right

Some will say you can't use a paid sample or a synth preset!
Although if you tinker with a VCF or a VCO on a synth preset - amazingly it's not a preset!
BOLLOCKS
It's how you use both of them to create a new piece of music.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:39 pm

It's a lot like when you learn a new fx technique.

When I first started becoming familiar with Beat Repeat, or Chorus, I used to use the shit out of them in every way I could imagine. Sometimes very conventional ways, other times in extremely experimental ways. I let those fx piss all over my tracks and mixes for probably a year straight.

But who cares because that was a long time ago, and there is always the future to look forward to. Now that I have it out of my system I can use those fx more tastefully and use them for exactly what I need when I need it because I've made myself familiar with them both in how they can be implemented and with listening to my old shit and realizing when I've used it too much.

Use the shit out of loops. You'll be making music for the rest of your life, don't let anything hinder you from creating output. Eventually you'll get it outta your system. You'll get sick of some methods or know how and when to implement them in the most useful ways at the right time.

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Fri May 29, 2015 9:48 pm

if you dont explore every possibility then you are just limiting yourself.

In a Deadmau5 stream I saw even he uses perc loops... (not kicks and stuff, mostly hats and weird perc loops [He could have made these himself prior to the session though])

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri May 29, 2015 10:12 pm

Unless you're playing on a physical musical instrument that you built from scratch yourself then you're a fraud and no one will respect you. Computer music is gateway propaganda for joining satanic cults lead by famous computer musicians and dj's (they will not admit this). This goes back to disco. Jesus built a banjo out of fish and whore hair. Jesus is the way.
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat May 30, 2015 11:31 am

Use what ever you like to use. It's your music!
This "community" has no say on that and you shouldn't seek its approval.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat May 30, 2015 11:47 am

M-bition wrote: Would you dare to say:'Well I let you hear some sounds but a lot of it was made by another band and I just played their loops with my computer"
If it's done well, why not?!

I mean re-mixes are a thing you know?! 8)

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Sat May 30, 2015 2:55 pm

mholloway wrote:NO. In fact you are violating community laws by even mentioning it. Expect community law enforcement knocking down your door any minute now.
:lol:

I believe it's a thought crime for even considering it.

I use loops for layering up percussion but i generally try and make my own unless it's a really good one or just fits the track or contains a sound i can't easily reproduce.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat May 30, 2015 3:23 pm

I think loops and sample packs are ok if you use them to augment what you're doing anyway, but not if you use them as the core idea of a song. Some people have no interest in becoming a drummer to make the music they want, so loops and such can really come in handy.

Something like Stylus RMX (which I used to use a lot) is an EASY way to take the stock loops and twist them into something totally new. There's a ton of ways to mangle things while still keeping them useful in that one app.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

login

Post by login » Sat May 30, 2015 4:44 pm

Are you trying to make music or to emter a social club?