Windows Search can't find my .ALS files :/

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
floond

Windows Search can't find my .ALS files :/

Post by floond » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi, while switching to Live9 I lost some of my project files, or rather I've forgotten where they're placed. I've tried searching for ".als" and "als" with Windows Search, it finds a few random files, but none with the .als extension. Even if I search in a folder where I can see some .als files are located :S Looking at the file properties of the .als I see nothing special, so I'm clueless why they're hidden from windows Search. Any insight would be much appreciated cuz it's driving me crazy. I know this isn't a Live problem per se, but I figured there was a better chance that someone had experienced something similar than if I ask on a microsoft forum.

Edit: Installed 'Everything' and it found my missing files in seconds <3. Still just out of curiosity I'd like to know what's up with windows search and .als files.

Cuv

Re: Windows Search can't find my .ALS files :/

Post by Cuv » Sun May 31, 2015 11:40 am

floond wrote:Hi, while switching to Live9 I lost some of my project files, or rather I've forgotten where they're placed. I've tried searching for ".als" and "als" with Windows Search, it finds a few random files, but none with the .als extension. Even if I search in a folder where I can see some .als files are located :S Looking at the file properties of the .als I see nothing special, so I'm clueless why they're hidden from windows Search. Any insight would be much appreciated cuz it's driving me crazy. I know this isn't a Live problem per se, but I figured there was a better chance that someone had experienced something similar than if I ask on a microsoft forum.

Edit: Installed 'Everything' and it found my missing files in seconds <3. Still just out of curiosity I'd like to know what's up with windows search and .als files.

Agreed - having the same issue on Windows 8.1. Thanks for the tip on Everything (http://www.voidtools.com/), but should be some native solution I feel.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun May 31, 2015 12:02 pm

Windows commonly hides extensions. You can change settings so that they always show.

mrgrim3

Post by mrgrim3 » Sun May 31, 2015 9:16 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Windows commonly hides extensions. You can change settings so that they always show.
yes in windows file explorer to do this click the view tab and then the file extensions box is there to be checked so it will hide / unhide the extension
windows 8.1, amd fx 6300 3.5ghz , amd radeon 7850 2gb gfx card, GA-78LMT-USB3 rev5.0 mobo, 16 gb ram , 7200 rpm hd , steinberg ur22 interface, cubase 8.0.35 pro , ableton live 9 suite