ARE USING LOOPS Acceptable among community

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
musikmachine

Re: ARE USING LOOPS Acceptable among community

Post by musikmachine » Sat May 30, 2015 4:57 pm

I was gonna say something similar Tarekith. In techhouse the drum fills they use are sometimes ripped from old records. I use Geist in a similar fashion, you can warp and mangle loops into oblivion.

One thing i'm uneasy about is those construction kits i see everywhere where you can create whole tracks using just the loops, seems like it encourages laziness.

Imho it's not about using loops, it's how you use them. My 2c.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat May 30, 2015 5:25 pm

musikmachine wrote: One thing i'm uneasy about is those construction kits i see everywhere where you can create whole tracks using just the loops, seems like it encourages laziness.
So what?! Some people are not capable of more, why rob them of the joy of dabbling with music?!
It's highly unlikely that they will achieve success that way. And even if they do, why blame them, and not the sheep, who buy that trash?!

mrgrim3

Post by mrgrim3 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:28 pm

it depends on what you do with them really

you can chop them up and rearrange or you can use some drum loops are fine it isnt as noticable as using synth loops

dont forget u can also put them into granular synthesis vst or sampler vst for synthesis

too many things you can do to be worrying about what others think

the end result is what matters most imo
windows 8.1, amd fx 6300 3.5ghz , amd radeon 7850 2gb gfx card, GA-78LMT-USB3 rev5.0 mobo, 16 gb ram , 7200 rpm hd , steinberg ur22 interface, cubase 8.0.35 pro , ableton live 9 suite

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sat May 30, 2015 11:30 pm

Plus not everyone getting into music is for 'success', they're just exploring, and loops /construction kits are an understandable start, especially if you don't know how effects/synthesis works. You need something to throw down before you start playin with other things you don't know how they work :)
I just used to play guitar and bass not knowing DAW stuff and it took a couple years from experimenting to understand fx and synths (i recommend reading and YT so it doesn't take that long.
Though i did make a lot of loops from my drum machine there's just a lot of human/clasdic types of loops that can't be recreated, like from the hip hop sampling angle. Who cares.
ImageImage

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Sat May 30, 2015 11:51 pm

If we were meant to use loops, the DAW manufacturers would ship them with the DAW or make them available for download.
Garry Knight

DEEMUSIC

Post by DEEMUSIC » Sun May 31, 2015 1:44 am

For me this is a hobby and loops help me a lot, I load a sample pack and learn to mix and helps me to learn how to use my effect and they also help with my ear training, if I hear a riff lick or what ever the sound of the loop I try to copy it. I believe loops can be very helpful in learning music. There is no right or wrong when it comes to making music it just have to sound good if that was not the case half the shit we hear would not make it on the radio so if it sounds good use it.

M-bition

Post by M-bition » Sun May 31, 2015 3:35 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
musikmachine wrote: One thing i'm uneasy about is those construction kits i see everywhere where you can create whole tracks using just the loops, seems like it encourages laziness.
So what?! Some people are not capable of more, why rob them of the joy of dabbling with music?!
It's highly unlikely that they will achieve success that way. And even if they do, why blame them, and not the sheep, who buy that trash?!

One example; KLangkarussel - Sonnentanz. Lots of people bought this trash but its made completely out of premade samplepack loops. Just copying and pasting...
I hate it when you dare to sell this stuff, take credit for it and make people believe you are an artist. its a scam.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:05 pm

Why did they buy it?

dave dove

Post by dave dove » Sun May 31, 2015 6:06 pm

what does it matter whether someone uses one loop or a thousand
transforms them or leaves them stock
plays three chords or a hundred
borrows a Hendrix lick or plays covers
uses presets or programs from scratch???????
we all set often arbitrary limits for how we work
and we all cheat those limits in some way

its all tools

dave

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun May 31, 2015 6:50 pm

Some buy music for it's technicality, some just because it fills a span of time for hearing sound.

I wasn't aware that it was absolutely essential to buy the artist's ego with each musical piece you purchase.

I'm getting the feeling that the only music I am trust is old recordings of live acts on phonographs!

Bring back slavery so we can allow those who choose the path of musicianship to toil their lives away plucking notes for our satisfaction.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sun May 31, 2015 9:34 pm

pinkpaint wrote:if you dont explore every possibility then you are just limiting yourself.

In a Deadmau5 stream I saw even he uses perc loops... (not kicks and stuff, mostly hats and weird perc loops [He could have made these himself prior to the session though])

And since they are a name they can sell those loops and make some money of them.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sun May 31, 2015 9:39 pm

Funny how this is brought up and sometimes shunned with a DAW that was created for primarily using loops. It's the best DAW for it.

Loops can be educational, used for jamming and they are often used when a person needs to make something quickly.

If they weren't acceptable many of those companies like Sample Magic, Prime Loops, ect. would be out of business.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun May 31, 2015 9:43 pm

login wrote:Are you trying to make music or to emter a social club?
Emter is just another deep house knock off. All these new genres have been done to death... a new name doesn't change anything... it's like making a track from a pre-existing loop.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:23 am

M-bition wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:

One example; KLangkarussel - Sonnentanz. Lots of people bought this trash but its made completely out of premade samplepack loops. Just copying and pasting...
I hate it when you dare to sell this stuff, take credit for it and make people believe you are an artist. its a scam.
So?!
There is soooo much shit music out there that gets sold to the sheep, why worry if it is made with loops or not?!

It's like with those low scale family owned restaurants, who use convenience food from the freezer, instead of really cooking and then call it "Grandmas Recipe".
It fools no one, who can rub two taste buds together, yet people still buy it. They buy it because that's what they are used to anyways and it's cheap.

Blame the people having shit taste and not the people scraping by, by catering to that bottom rank on the taste pyramid.

And if it bothers you so much that it's such a big market that pays well - just make the jump! You could be making ten hits a day with these loops right now! ;-)

BTW: Never heard of Klangkarrusel, must not be that successful.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:35 pm

EasyWorkflow wrote:Hello....what I am trying to get at is many folks who have been at this Ableton software for a number of years almost thinks if you don't design your own sounds, your music is not authentic. I get where they are coming from. But that would hold true for all the sample packs sold as well...correct? Also, I just purchased Stylus RMX made from Spectrasonics which is God's gift to people like me who can create my "own" loops quickly and use them as a starting point to get ideas down. Does anyone use a similar work flow. My main skill is being a professional guitarist who understand Ableton and was bless when the Fishman Triple Play MIDI pickup came out because that has leveled the playing field. I can create, bass lines, melodies, chords or anything I hear in my head and all I need is my guitar. That's why I want to partner up with someone in NY Westchester area and have some type of duo. Or has anyone seen what "The Funk Hunters" are doing combining Ableton with live musicians, That's what I want to do and have an Ableton guru doing his thing while I do mine. Hit me up with a PM in you live in this area.

Peace

BobbyD
This is a great topic, Bobby!

When I started out many years ago, the loop software Dance eJay was what introduced me to music, and I know lots of guys who had the same path. Prior to that, I had taken piano and guitar lessons, but they weren't interesting. Chords or songwriting were never even mentioned, and they only focused playing rehearsed single note sequences.

The point of making music is to have fun, and express yourself. Some people use loops to achieve that, and others get into Max for Live or other kinds of programming, and make their own instruments, effects and utilities. In both cases, if there is enjoyment, that's a perfect measure of success, I think.

Eventually, making your own sequences may become more fun, but there's no need to rush it. My first year with electronic music, I don't think I made any beats or melodies of my own, and I had such a good time. I recorded vocals with friends, and joked around, and they're still tremendously memorable tracks for us.

Also, chords, melodies and "feel" are way more important to me than whether you've made every sound from scratch. Great CGI can't cover up a lack of story, although it can certainly be art on its own.

Loops can also be very useful in many cases. My father is a music therapist, and if he needs to get a jam going or record something with people who see him, he shouldn't have to create his own sounds and loops. I think of loops as the digital equivalent of jamming with other musicians. It's fun, you're not doing all the work, and it can be tremendously inspiring.

Just check out Madeon's interactive website Adventure Machine: https://www.facebook.com/itsmadeon/phot ... 386351568/ - People are sharing their own "creations" in the comments! They're all aware that it's cheating and not "real music", but I know how cool it is to experience interactivity of this kind. I can very well imagine them asking around, and being introduced to Live or FL Studio, and then music theory, sound design, or even programming. Just the notion of themselves as creators is amazing.

To those mentioning all the shit music out there, who cares? Let it inspire you to create something better, or think about what you can learn from it ("that one sound was pretty cool") and appreciate the fact that it's giving enjoyment to the vast majority of people around you. If you really want to take revenge on "Anaconda" by my girl Nicki for example, make something really beautiful, and do some sneaky sampling/twisting of her track. *evil laughter*