Round Robin in Sampler?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
TomViolenz

Re: Round Robin in Sampler?

Post by TomViolenz » Tue May 05, 2015 10:59 am

headfullofradios wrote:Hey folks,

I have a variant I'm trying to accomplish on this one. I'm programming a sampler within an instrument track to play back the mechanical bellows sounds of a bandoneon (type of concertina used in Tango) so that every 10 notes it triggers the wooshing of the air. How can I get this to be both consistently 10 notes and random from a selection of several samples?

I've tried a couple round robin things with a max patch, but all it does is define how far it goes through a series of samples before looping. I want a "wait" function which I know is part of Max but I can't quite wrap my head around it 8O ....anyone?

cheers!
I would try the following: Set LFO2 to modulate the SampleSelector as mentioned before but don't use a random waveform but the pulse wave. Have it set to retrigger. Then set up LFO3 to modultate the LFO2 amount with a sine or triangle wave (retrigger needs to be off). Might take some tweaking to get the right timing to hit every 10th note.

If you need this to happen every 10th note without knowing beforehand when these 10 notes will be hit (as in live playing) that might not work though, since then you would need to have retrigger on LFO3 on, but with retrigger on it would reset the LFO each time you hit a note, leading to LFO3 always setting the same amount on LFO2, which in turn always triggers the same sample.

Sampler really should have a sort of step mode (not an outright step sequencer, but just a simple: step through this LFO each time a note triggers it. But it doesn't :|

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:53 am

Layers within a rack.

Like Ableton's 'note off sound' in their piano presets. Except use a random midi effect device where 9x out of 10 it triggers a note which has a sample assigned to it (others do not).

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:01 pm

In max you'd convert note ins to bangs and use a counter object to cycle 1 to 10. You could then use a select object to fire a bang when it got a 10 in its input. This bang could fire a note out. Maybe this would in a chain with a sampler that's got a random assortment of bellows samples.

headfullofradios

Post by headfullofradios » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:26 pm

oddstep wrote:In max you'd convert note ins to bangs and use a counter object to cycle 1 to 10. You could then use a select object to fire a bang when it got a 10 in its input. This bang could fire a note out. Maybe this would in a chain with a sampler that's got a random assortment of bellows samples.
Awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for an explanation on. I've managed to get the MIDI note-ons to count upward from ten and then send a bang, but for some reason the midiout isn't triggering a sample. Am I missing an object?

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:56 pm

You need a message after the bang with a note and velocity. This would go into a note out, not a midi out. The message could be 60 90, (Middle C velocity 90)

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:09 pm

Winterpark wrote:The original post is from 2007... but anyway, this is the way I do it with Sampler.

For it to work, you must have many varieties of the sample you want to use as individual layers within the zone editor

In the Select editor (SEL tab) separate each sample so they don't play over each other by right clicking 'Distribute ranges equally'

In the Modulation area, assign either the 2nd or 3rd LFO to 'Sample selector', and change the amount of that to 100.

Set the LFO waveform type to Random.

This will play back your different variations of the sample Round Robin style.
Recently discovered this technique elsewhere on the web and it works perfectly. I was trying to create a round-robin of a small ceramic bell from India. Obviously, the bell only plays one note, but I wanted it to sound natural, so I recorded about a minute of ringing it, chopped out five samples that were around the same volume, and layered them in Sampler as described.

It recreates the variation of playing the bell by hand nicely.

Here's the link I found (dtd January 2013):

http://mothergarage.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... mpler.html

I might go back later and add more velocity layers, but this quick-and-dirty Sampler instrument worked for the track I was putting together at the moment.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

headfullofradios

Post by headfullofradios » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:46 pm

oddstep wrote:You need a message after the bang with a note and velocity. This would go into a note out, not a midi out. The message could be 60 90, (Middle C velocity 90)

That works, but it seems like it needs a reset bang or something, because it only triggers a note once, and if I save, it will do it again but only then. What about filtering out the second bang that seems to happen when it hits 10 and goes back to one. isn't there a filter object?