Electron Overbridge with Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sean_Clarke

Electron Overbridge with Live

Post by Sean_Clarke » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:43 pm

So....Overbridge is out, great with Live....any other users here? (I am A4 and RYTM)

https://youtu.be/iChz9imftO0
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

v00d00ppl

Re: Electron Overbridge with Live

Post by v00d00ppl » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:04 pm

I'm downloading it tonight after work. I have the Analog Keys and Analog RYTM. What have you done so far with it?
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:18 pm

that looks pretty sick i can't lie..

wish I had an elektron product...

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:37 pm

I haven't done too much yet- but it is fantastic interface for editing and making new sounds.
Sync works once selected in OB, nice. Audio works along side my main soundcard (go in and select OB as the soundcard, set up your channels etc, but your original soundcard still works)

The magic is it just play like it is a VST so doesn't need to be assigned an audio input!

I tried tried a max LFO tool and modulating the filter on the A4 via overbride- works a treat (although I must admit I am having more fun with this in BitWig as the modulation options are better....I am modulating the A4 filter from an audio kick drum sample for example)

All in all, its just a Beta....lots of features are missing (select a kit on the A4 and you can see and edit it from OB, but you cant select from OB which is IMHO one of the big features, recall and librarian to find all those sound packs I downloaded!)....but that said, one of the most exciting and innovating bits of music tech I have seen for a long time, and I cant wait for the RYTM OB in a few months...
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:38 am

v00d00ppl wrote:I'm downloading it tonight after work. I have the Analog Keys and Analog RYTM. What have you done so far with it?

Will u be keeping spark now that u got the rytm?
Been looking hard at the rytm but might be overkill and might not match the versatility of sparkLe, utonic and push with racks. Not sure but that hardware looks solid and must be super fun to jam on.

Not sure if the overbridge claim as being the first analog instrument with vst control is true as I'm sure waldorf got there first(don't they always 8) ) with the analog filter that had vst control and yes a filter is an instrument in my book. Lol.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:41 am

http://www.waldorf-music.info/en/hardwa ... ive/afb-16

Well at least elektron dont look like they'll be declaring insolvency following their analog dreams!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:41 am

I have no interest in the Elektron gear, but I really hope Korg does something similar for the Electribes 8)

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:27 pm

It seems that Access now has a little competition. I hope it encourages them to improve the Ti plug!

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:03 pm

irrelevance wrote:
v00d00ppl wrote:I'm downloading it tonight after work. I have the Analog Keys and Analog RYTM. What have you done so far with it?

Will u be keeping spark now that u got the rytm?
Been looking hard at the rytm but might be overkill and might not match the versatility of sparkLe, utonic and push with racks. Not sure but that hardware looks solid and must be super fun to jam on.

Not sure if the overbridge claim as being the first analog instrument with vst control is true as I'm sure waldorf got there first(don't they always 8) ) with the analog filter that had vst control and yes a filter is an instrument in my book. Lol.

I love my spark so much that I might even pick up another CDM controller as a back up. The spark has it's own sound pallette that the RYTM can't cover and vice versa.

The RYTM is good for low end sounds. You can get some sub bass real quick. You can even adjust the drum oscillators to sound like a bassline. The multimode filters are also good on it especially when you drop drum samples or just sample chops into it.

Even if you buy a RYTM used you can sell it back for about the same because it doesn't depreciate much. The best time to buy elektron gear is during black friday. :D
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:38 am

v00d00ppl wrote: I love my spark so much that I might even pick up another CDM controller as a back up. The spark has it's own sound pallette that the RYTM can't cover and vice versa.

The RYTM is good for low end sounds. You can get some sub bass real quick. You can even adjust the drum oscillators to sound like a bassline. The multimode filters are also good on it especially when you drop drum samples or just sample chops into it.

Even if you buy a RYTM used you can sell it back for about the same because it doesn't depreciate much. The best time to buy elektron gear is during black friday. :D
Spark would be useless to me if I was just using it in live tbh but I love that I can have a sound design/beat making session without having to look at Live. It just breaks things up nicely for me.
This is where the rytm could come in as I could break away from the comp entirely plus I like the look of the performance features for added variation along with parameter lock and I appreciate the simple design interface isn't gonna match a modular environment, I don't wanna program a modular with button presses and a small lcd display.

So elektron discount over black friday? If so it's good to know thanks. Now It's a hard decision between a hands on drum synth or another hands on analog synth in the form of the mfb dominion 1.

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:00 am

A4 isn't a drum synth (that's RYTM), the A4 is a 4 voice analog synth (or 8 oscillator mono synth!)

I have the A4 and the mfb dominion 1 on order (they aren't available at the moment....end of June maybe)
If I could only have one, it would be the A4, 8 oscillators and 8 subs make a pretty impressive mono! Dominion looks (and sounds) very cool but check it against the A4 specs.....I plan to run the dominion on the CV track of my A4 as you cant beat the electron step sequencer with P-locks, and now that's Overbridge is out, A4 is IMHO the best analog available for the money.

?4 voices
?2x sub-oscillators per voice
?2x analog oscillators per voice
?2x analog filters per voice
?1x analog overdrive circuit per voice
?1x amp envelope per voice
?2x assignable envelopes per voice
?2x LFOs per voice
?6 track Elektron sequencer (4 internal, 1 CV/Gate, 1 FX)
?6x arpeggiators
?Reverb, delay, chorus send FX
?Polyphonic, unison, multitimbral functionality
VST editor,
Built in USB 8 channel soundcard that aggregates (so you can use your existing soundcard as well), can route audio from DAW to analog filters/overdrive and digital effects....
?Massive storage space
?3 year warranty

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:32 am

I didn't mention the a4? Specs look impressive but it lacks the cv connectivity of the dominion.I'm looking to expand on the minibrute sound sculpting possibilities and the a4 would only give sequencing (+ admittedly very nice sounds) but I can cv sequence already with live and oscillot or silent way so a4 gets a pass.

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:59 am

The A4 has 4x CV out, not bad, but the Dominion 1 is definitely better if you don't need a sequencer (it has one anyway, but not the step and pattern sequencer as on the A4 and RTYM which is a major selling point) the A4 is also a fantastic drum machine as you can have a different analog sound on each step (so with 4 tracks that's a lot of variation) and each step can also have its own effects and filter settings etc.

I chased my Dominion 1 order with Thomman yesterday....no news, may still be some time before they are back on e shelves, I'm just hoping there are enough to fill all the orders, MFB are a small company...

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:46 pm

Sean_Clarke wrote:The A4 has 4x CV out, not bad, but the Dominion 1 is definitely better if you don't need a sequencer (it has one anyway, but not the step and pattern sequencer as on the A4 and RTYM which is a major selling point) the A4 is also a fantastic drum machine as you can have a different analog sound on each step (so with 4 tracks that's a lot of variation) and each step can also have its own effects and filter settings etc.

I chased my Dominion 1 order with Thomman yesterday....no news, may still be some time before they are back on e shelves, I'm just hoping there are enough to fill all the orders, MFB are a small company...
The elektron sequencers do look very capable and having owned both an rm1x and an rs7000 the learning curve couldn't be any harder! (Yamaha and their damn menu driven machines lol)
Hope you got your dominion 1 order in before they pushed the price up :o

EasyWorkflow

Post by EasyWorkflow » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:25 am

Confused. Does this mean this is a VST that I can use with any MIDI controller without need for the T! hardware synth. I use my Godin MIDI guitar as my main controller so just trying to understand if this plugin is all I need to access the presets using my MIDI guitar.

Thanks