why you cant drag aux sends from one session to another?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
morerecords

why you cant drag aux sends from one session to another?

Post by morerecords » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:43 pm

You can drag single tracks from old song files, but not aux sends!
and you cant save FX chains to re-import them.
what method do you suggest for having FX chains on auxes which can then be brought into new live sessions just as re-cycling an old instrument channel or audio track? thanks

timday

Re: why you cant drag aux sends from one session to another?

Post by timday » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:58 pm

Group them then save the racks.

rtcardinal

Post by rtcardinal » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:57 pm

morerecords wrote:You can drag single tracks from old song files, but not aux sends!
and you cant save FX chains to re-import them.
what method do you suggest for having FX chains on auxes which can then be brought into new live sessions just as re-cycling an old instrument channel or audio track? thanks
I'd just set up a folder in places called 'Sends' or something. Then group your FX on the sends you want to save, and drag the group in to there. Then you could use it in any session. I do this will all of my VSTs, ableton devices, max for live, etc, so I have everything in one place, organized how I want.

As for the direct import of sends and returns. I think the fact that live has a maximum number you can have, it could cause conflict if you were to merge 2 sessions that had more sends and returns than the total allowed.

I think the whole system needs a bit of a re-work, to be honest. I like the simplicity, but it seems a bit incongruent to the rest of the Live.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:38 am

morerecords wrote:You can drag single tracks from old song files, but not aux sends!
Annoying isn't it? :x

It seems like an arbitrary limitation.

One would think the app could be coded so as not to exceed the limit of Returns, & therefore not cause a problem.