Forum moderation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
[mda]

Forum moderation

Post by [mda] » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:14 am

Dear everyone,

In order to keep this forum a healthy and open space for discussion about music production and Live, threads and posts will be moderated from now on by Julien [jur] and Erik (Tarekith) [erm].

As always, bug reports for release versions are still collected by Support:
https://www.ableton.com/en/help/contact-support/

For beta-related discussion, feel free to join the Centercode forum here:
https://ableton.centercode.com/

Happy posting!
[mda]

irrelevance

Re: Forum moderation

Post by irrelevance » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:58 am

Great! Welcome mods 8)

rluk

Post by rluk » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:43 am

finally, hooray!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:53 am

[mda] wrote:Dear everyone,

In order to keep this forum a healthy and open space for discussion about music production and Live, threads and posts will be moderated from now on by Julien [jur] and Erik (Tarekith) [erm].

As always, bug reports for release versions are still collected by Support:
https://www.ableton.com/en/help/contact-support/

For beta-related discussion, feel free to join the Centercode forum here:
https://ableton.centercode.com/

Happy posting!
Ok, I just saw this. Generally a good decision. How deep is their involvement with Ableton though?

I ask, because just yesterday I kinda jumped at [jur] for only commenting on the posting style of a poster and not on the information he revealed(?).
If he works within Ableton, I stick to this, since I then see him kind of like an ambassador for Ableton. But if he is more an outside hired gun then this was probably a: pointless and b: kinda unnecessarily rude.

So it's important to know this and in case of them only being outsiders to Ableton, I'll still request a sort of Ableton Ambassador, so that issues raised like in phadeds thread get a propper response. 8)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:27 am

We are officially representing Ableton in our roles, given golden keys to the executive bathrooms even. :)

Overall there shouldn't be a huge difference with the way things are run now, the same Forum Guidelines apply, politics and religion are off limits. That said, Ableton wants the forums to be a helpful place where users can interact to solve problems or share Live advice. So we're going to be a little less lenient when it comes to people trolling, disrespecting each other, or getting wildly off-topic.

Be nice to each other and keep it somewhat on topic, shouldn't be an issues. :)

:x

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:54 am

Tarekith wrote:We are officially representing Ableton in our roles, given golden keys to the executive bathrooms even. :)

Overall there shouldn't be a huge difference with the way things are run now, the same Forum Guidelines apply, politics and religion are off limits. That said, Ableton wants the forums to be a helpful place where users can interact to solve problems or share Live advice. So we're going to be a little less lenient when it comes to people trolling, disrespecting each other, or getting wildly off-topic.

Be nice to each other and keep it somewhat on topic, shouldn't be an issues. :)

:x
That doesn't quite answer my question. Do you report back things to Ableton that they should know/acknowledge, or will this stay strictly an entertainment venue?!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:59 am

Yes we report some things back to Ableton on a regular basis, however it is still up to the user to contact support and deal with Ableton directly if they are having any issues, bugs, etc. This isn't meant to be an official support forum, it's totally for end user to end user discussions.

However, I will say that in my experience, a LOT of people at Ableton check the forums on a daily basis. Don't think that what people write here isn't being heard and that Ableton is ignoring the forums. The M4L forum is a good example of where other people at Ableton step in when they feel it's appropriate.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:08 am

snip
Last edited by TomViolenz on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:14 am

Tarekith wrote: Overall there shouldn't be a huge difference with the way things are run now, the same Forum Guidelines apply, politics and religion are off limits.
But a difference is absolutely needed!

I mean I accept these rather arbitrary limits (though I certainly don't like them!), but what really needs to change is the faceless thread locking. It's incredibly rude and disrespectful to all the posters in that locked thread, and not just the ones breaching the guidelines.

So what I would like to see instead is in-thread moderations and open warnings to offending posters (without in-thread discussion of the offense, since this should be a further offense and rather be handled by PM), with thread locking only being a measure of last resort.

If posters accumulate warnings, they should look at temporary bans and only if NOTHING helps, permanent ones

(spammers should obviously be excluded from the warning system and be insta banned).
Tarekith wrote: The M4L forum is a good example of where other people at Ableton step in when they feel it's appropriate.
hm, yeah...awesome I guess :roll:
I mean it's really nice that Ableton as a company has a hobby, but the real attention must be on the feature wishlist forum not this heavy, unstable distraction.

But maybe I should start taking to the M4L forums then, to voice the grievances I have with Abletons development path. Sure it will annoy all the M4L users, but at least Ableton employees might see them....
Last edited by TomViolenz on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:16 am

This is good news, and, erm, thank you [erm]!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:27 am

From my experience ... think of Forum moderators like the doormen of a nightclub.
It' silly to argue with them about the lighting, the sound system or the price of drinks, they can't change that and nor can they influence the music, but they can calm rowdy arguments and kick out troublesome punters, and they might just give you a kicking in an alleyway if you are a mouthy tit. But, they can also sell you drugs to make the whole sordid experience seem much better.

And that's how you should understand the role of moderators.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:32 am

Angstrom wrote: But, they can also sell you drugs to make the whole sordid experience seem much better.
I'm all ears Tarekith! :lol:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:40 am

Angstrom wrote:From my experience ... think of Forum moderators like the doormen of a nightclub.
It' silly to argue with them about the lighting, the sound system or the price of drinks, they can't change that and nor can they influence the music, but they can calm rowdy arguments and kick out troublesome punters, and they might just give you a kicking in an alleyway if you are a mouthy tit. But, they can also sell you drugs to make the whole sordid experience seem much better.

And that's how you should understand the role of moderators.
I'm laughing, but that's a brilliant way of putting it. LOL

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:27 pm

What about poligion? Can we talk about that?
ImageImage

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:46 pm

And if jazz is my religion, what then?