Per month and per year subscriptions for ableton

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
jrhillma

Re: Per month and per year subscriptions for ableton

Post by jrhillma » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:38 pm

re:dream wrote:Anyway, it's a real popular idea, so Ableton is sure to implement it.
Logical fallacy, but anyway...if Ableton goes to the Adobe CC pay-per-month-per-module model, I will go back to using Sonar full-time or switch to Cubase (even with the stupid dongle, now that I have one).

If users can't afford to pay the full price up front, then stick with the version they have and budget an appropriate amount over a reasonable amount of time to save (an almost archaic notion it seems) until they do have the amount needed.

The argument some make that the monthly subscription model flattens the business cycle and creates a predictable revenue stream is a non-starter. There are higher costs of administration and support for the billing and tracking/licensing system, there is no guarantee of a given number of subscribers every month, etc. Also, I can't speak for anyone else, but if I'm paying by the month for something it better have five nines uptime and zero flaws because, psychologically, the monthly cost is easier for me to cut my losses on than a one time, large chunk of sunk cost.

Subscription based models are designed to benefit the publisher, not the user. Adobe gets away with it because they have a veritable monopoly on graphic design software (Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator and maybe Premiere) and a significant, dedicated core base of designers who earn a living that would be impacted if they had to learn a new work flow. I'd wager very few professional musicians are that locked in to Ableton. Pro Tools, perhaps, being more common in commercial studios, could manage the change in model.

In my opinion, hobbyists and hopefuls who want their cake (don't want to or can't save) and to eat it too (full access to Ableton Live right now) are the only ones excited about this possibility and actively campaign for it. I am a hobbyist, btw, not a professional; nothing has locked me in to Live (nor Sonar X3 Producer, which I also own and upgrade regularly) and I'll bail. Also, I own Adobe CS6 Master Collection and will not switch to CC. CS6 does far more than I will ever use so Adobe has effectively convinced me I don't need to "upgrade" for the foreseeable future.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:38 pm

jrhillma wrote:
re:dream wrote:Anyway, it's a real popular idea, so Ableton is sure to implement it.
Logical fallacy, but anyway...
I was being sarcastic 8)

Quez

Post by Quez » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:29 pm

If Ableton Live changes to a subscription-model, I'm leaving it for another DAW, that's plain and simple.
I will never pay subscription fees for a software.

Adobe CC & the way they are handling it is the worst thing to happen in the graphics industry, and also for independent or lower-income artists.
Subscription will end up costing you more. They make it look like it's not so, but don't be fooled. Also they jacked up CS6 price since CC came out.

iloyd2

Post by iloyd2 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:04 am

I'll buy a copy of Live and rent it to you.

xxpw

Post by xxpw » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:43 am

is it a joke ?

Ableton is serious business. Unlike Microsoft Office and Adobe. (as stated above : they can do it because they're on a monopoly)

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:48 pm

no

jinek

Post by jinek » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:59 pm

iloyd2 wrote:I'll buy a copy of Live and rent it to you.
Ok, what's the price?
xxpw wrote:is it a joke ?

Ableton is serious business. Unlike Microsoft Office and Adobe. (as stated above : they can do it because they're on a monopoly)
Microsoft offers both subscription and one-time payment options. Because once they figured out that some users prefer subscriptions.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:31 pm

jinek wrote:It would be great if we do not have to buy Ableton, but could subscribe just like photoshop - its easier for users, because not so expensive as buying
You have to be kidding. Subscriptions are the trend for the future but they are not cheaper than buying. It's a way to force users to upgrade and create a steady cash stream for the company.

Noone forces you to buy upgrades, after all. You choose which updates you want to pay for. I bought Reason 2.5 in 2005, I have never upgraded it. I got Cubase AI4 and AI5 free with some Yamaha hardware, I have never upgraded to the "full" Cubase. The software still runs, it does what I need.

With subscriptions you just keep paying and paying and paying and paying. Miss a payment and it stops working.

Can't afford the price of Live up front? Get a credit card.
That's because people are stupid.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:16 pm

I think it is mostly because people don't know sarcasm when they see it.

JessePom

Post by JessePom » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:17 pm

redglass

Post by redglass » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:15 pm

jinek

Post by jinek » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:01 pm

Those, who want buy permanent version can still buy it. Why not to allow others to buy other options?
(If you personally want to use only Suite version - you don't disagree that others can use lite or standard versions, do you?)
Why all who wrote "-1" think it relates to them. One more example is Microsoft Office - those who hardly use it - buy the full version. Those, who need it only for exams in school, can buy it for one month or so.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:34 pm

...suscription will always be way more expensive than buying...so....:

-1 !
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

jinek

Post by jinek » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:47 pm

scheffkoch wrote:...suscription will always be way more expensive than buying...so....:

-1 !
so one do you worry someone will pay more ?