Should I upgrade from Live 8 to 9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
2be

Should I upgrade from Live 8 to 9?

Post by 2be » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:36 pm

I've been using Live 8 since it was released and I can't say I miss anything.
It's not officially supported on OS X 10.10 but it's working pretty fine for me.

I guess I would like the new EQ & Glue compressor, but I'm afraid my productivity will take a hit with the new library and whatnot.

90 Euros for an upgrade is no big deal, but is Live 9 really an upgrade over 8?

beats me

Re: Should I upgrade from Live 8 to 9?

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:42 pm

Live 9 is still indexing my library. It started the process Sept. 13th, 2014. I can’t wait until it’s finished because I’m totally excited to start using it! Your experience may vary.

JDFS

Post by JDFS » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:08 pm

If Live Suite, yes. Max For Live - although I can't really remember how it was on Live 8... But Live 9 is always doing its thing for me!

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:51 am

beats me wrote:Live 9 is still indexing my library. It started the process Sept. 13th, 2014. I can’t wait until it’s finished because I’m totally excited to start using it! Your experience may vary.
:lol:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:50 am

They say it's good for your creativity to make your instrument unfamiliar. So to tune your guitar to an unusual tuning as it stops you going to the same old hand positions, being too predictable.

I feel that Live9's browser has the same effect. You instinctively reach for a bass patch you only just made and you can't find it because you cant remember where the fuck they hide all your stuff now, is it "Other" or is that just for instrument racks. Was it a rack, or just an instrument preset. Oh fuck.
And even though you only just saved the patch the browser seems to now have jumped into a whole different area, up from the cellar and into the attic. Weirder. and you cant figure out what the fuck it is doing, or where you were before. All of your patches are in one giant list, so you start scrolling down down down. What was it called? and now you start to worry because you cant see all those other patches you made last night. Shouldn't you be seeing them here?

You try a search and even a search doesnt turn them up, fuck it's annoying you now. You certainly named it in the way Live now requires, you put the required underscore in there, and your name and address in the title, and the map coordinates, you named the folder with a special ceremony, killed an XML chicken, etc.
You will NOT be beaten by this so you go back and go look in the instrument racks again. You can DO this. But now there seem to be fewer entries listed. Where are your instruments? Did the app delete some of them. OH SHIT!!! Oh wait, ah, the bloody search box is still populated. How long has that fucking thing been filtering the folders. If they are folders. Whatever the fuck they are.
You restart live to trigger the indexer, perhaps it needs a kickstart, and the browser is blank now. You opened two copies of Live. So you say "fuckit" ... and just pick up a guitar tuned to drop D instead, and while you strum it you smile and think about moving to a shack deep in the woods, and forget all about that bass patch. It was good though.

Oh wait, there it is. Now what was I doing?
Why the fuck was I looking for this?

The L9 browser folks
The L9 browser.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:54 am

:lol: on these posts. Yes the browser has to be the biggest turnoff STILL.

I was trying to find a drum clip - any old clip would do - today to try out a plugin, and I couldn't find anything that simple in the browser...the indexing seems to have stopped - or maybe I just stopped using libraries of samples for it to scan. :mrgreen:

Seriously, my whineing aside, to the OP: Upgrading to 9 with M4L was a plus for me. But if there are no newer special tools in 9 that you need, I would stick with what you know. 2c/

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:08 am

Life is indexing
???- Ableton

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:37 am

since I upgraded to Live 9 I keep my bass patches in a canoe... cuz I'm gonna make em squeal, squeal like a pig... right after I stick my dick in this XML chicken

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:07 am

beats me wrote:Live 9 is still indexing my library. It started the process Sept. 13th, 2014. I can’t wait until it’s finished because I’m totally excited to start using it! Your experience may vary.
Is it really? I have seen my Mac show Ableton indexing as an active process even when it is NOT indexing.

2be

Post by 2be » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:13 pm

So apart from the browser everyone seems pretty happy about Live 9 I guess.

I went ahead and upgraded and I really like it so far.
Love the integrated spectrum in EQ8 and the graph in Compressor. Feels like Ableton and Fabfilter had beautiful babies. Also, I'm a huge fan of The Glue. Multimonitor sure is nice as well. All in all, feels like money well spent and it already inspired me to finally make some music again :)
In a moment of questionable rationale I bought Push to go with it. I hope I'm going to hate it and return it but from what I've seen & read so far that will be pretty unlikely. Well, who needs food for the month anyway

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:58 am

Ha! Nice!! Enjoy your new toys!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:51 am

2be wrote:So apart from the browser everyone seems pretty happy about Live 9 I guess.

I went ahead and upgraded and I really like it so far.
Love the integrated spectrum in EQ8 and the graph in Compressor. Feels like Ableton and Fabfilter had beautiful babies. Also, I'm a huge fan of The Glue. Multimonitor sure is nice as well. All in all, feels like money well spent and it already inspired me to finally make some music again :)
In a moment of questionable rationale I bought Push to go with it. I hope I'm going to hate it and return it but from what I've seen & read so far that will be pretty unlikely. Well, who needs food for the month anyway
IMO opinion you did a good thing. There so many new and good things in Live 9 and if you bought Push then that's of course a no brainer.
(Though the second monitor thing is pretty useless the way it was implemented (IMO))

As one of the first steps for Push you should install the community mapping for it (2nd link in my signiture).
It gives for each and every Ableton device you have in Live a full representation of (almost) every parameter and they are layed our pretty sensibly too.

Push can be great, though it certainly has it's issues.
I would just suggest to try each and every new thing in Live 9 at least once, so you know it's there, if you should ever need it.

And now, go and play with your new toys 8)

Karlstens

Post by Karlstens » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:37 am

Angstrom wrote:They say it's good for your creativity to make your instrument unfamiliar....

The L9 browser folks
The L9 browser.
I know them feels. :(

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:43 am

Angstrom wrote:They say it's good for your creativity to make your instrument unfamiliar. So to tune your guitar to an unusual tuning as it stops you going to the same old hand positions, being too predictable.
This also makes playing any gigs with those songs a right shit, else you need to take a lot of guitars. :lol:
Seriously this is a good point in general though, I found getting a Push made me explore the sounds a lot more and do things differently for this very reason. Scroll the pots and find sounds rather than click all over the list on the obvious sounding ones or usual suspects.

mihai

Post by mihai » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:58 am

i'd say you're better off investing in some quality 3rd party plugins, live 8 works quite well as is.