Forum moderation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: Forum moderation

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:32 pm

It is my deep belief that every single person on here possesses intelligence enough to decide for themselves "should I be posting this on the forum of a company that makes software for music creation and performance?".

If at any time you find yourself bewildered by that question, unsure of how to proceed, or in general just confused about the possibilities that keyboard in front of you represents, just think to yourself: What would Tarekith do?

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:37 pm

Does Tarekith ask "What would Beyonce do?"
ImageImage

jbw

Post by jbw » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:33 pm

Tarekith wrote:It is my deep belief...
I thought you said no religion discussion. :mrgreen:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:09 am

Tarekith would close the forum browser and get down to producing awesome tracks, writing insightful blogs, or go for a stroll in town enjoying the beautiful European spring.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:48 am

re:dream wrote:Tarekith would close the forum browser and get down to producing awesome tracks, writing insightful blogs, or go for a stroll in town enjoying the beautiful European spring.
For a Southafrican probably incomprehensible, but we call that already early summer ;-)

Beyond that probably spot on 8)

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:56 am

Remember kids, always take [mda] in moderation.

:oops:
I'll get me coat...

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:03 am

Pitch Black wrote:Remember kids, always take [mda] in moderation.

:oops:
I'll get me coat...
One question Tarekith.
If I ever come to work at Ableton, are the forum monikers [LSD], [THC] and [2CB] already spoken for?! :P

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:52 pm

You guys aren't going to make this easy, are you?

:?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:14 pm

I'm not sure where you get this impression from.

The light hearted banter we engaged in with a fellow forum poster we have known for years?

I hope not.

And as I have written earlier, I have come to accept these limitations on topics (though I really don't see why they need to apply to the Lounge)
What I would have liked to hear from you though, and that part you have ignored so far, is how you plan to enforce transgressions of these rules in the future.
The old way of simply unpredictably locking threads, while much more vile ones are left to fester for tens of pages, has left a pretty sour after taste in a lot of posters here.
The ban on these topics was allegedly introduced because people got too personal when discussing them. But this stops making much sense if perfectly reasonable and all around friendly discussions on these topics get locked without notice, while really vile behavior in discussions on any other topic have no consequences whatsoever.

That's why I had asked before, if you would engage in a much more hands on and humane way to moderate, by applying in thread moderation with a transparent warning system.

I'm still waiting for your response on that, and if you mean that with not making it easy on you, then sorry, but no, I don't intend to.

Because one thing must be clear to you after all these years here. We other long time posters are not unruly children to be disciplined, or merely consumers that should be happy that Ableton customer support gave us this play ground, but we are the community that makes these Forums. We are as such stake holders just like you and it would be good if Ableton came to realize that and started treating us like it!!!

And saying we should always ask ourselves: What would Tarekith do?! Is the opposite of treating us with respect and not like children.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:22 pm

Threads will be moved, locked, deleted, etc as we see fit based on the rules of the forum. If people don't follow those rules they will be warned privately, if they continue to break the rules, they will be permanently banned.

Talk about music stuff, help each other out, be cool to each other. Pretty simple really.

Post by re:dream » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:30 pm

So, we ascend into the metaverse.

If discussions about religion, politica (and drugs???) are not allowed, what about discussions about discussion about religion, politics and drugs?

Are we allowed to have threads in which we second guess the mods?

Are we allowed to have discussions ABOUT threads in which we second guess the mods?

And do the mods have to reply?

WWTD?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:22 pm

The problem is that people's understanding of what it means to be nice to others on a forum can vary drastically.

Some people think of themselves as merely being critical when everyone else reading their words thinks they're just being rude.

But I think ultimately people know that they get away with saying certain things on a forum that they would never say to a persons face. It's like the Louis CK joke about if you brought your road rage into an elevator and yelled at someone right in their face. Only the most socio-/psychopathic among us would do that.

It's pretty much the same on a forum. People can get away with it. But in person your own conscience would prevent you from doing it because you might feel embarrassed, or fear might keep you in check if you don't want your ass kicked.

Tarekith is right. If people are being honest with themselves they know how to act appropriately.

I'm not innocent of it myself. I can get pretty pointed when any in depth musical/music theory topic comes up because that's where my passion and expertise lies.

Other than that, when I go off on someone it's usually a response to people being outright rude and uncivil (e.g. phaded in that recent thread). And in those cases it's very easy to find the right buttons to push to get a thread locked where someone simply won't relent from being a total asshole (it usually involves a certain type of Tex-Mex cuisine :lol: ).

But I guess I have to stop that now because I've been warned. :lol:
Unsound Designer

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:54 pm

So no change then. :?
Unaccountability and decisions over our heads without a real dialoge remain to rule the land and you people should not be seen as moderators in the sense of a community based forum, but as the police of a corporate fig leaf. Feared, not respected.

T'was nice to have some hope for a few days :(

Post by re:dream » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:03 pm

Tom, I would say, give the mods a chance. If they do a bad job, let's criticise them. If they are unfair, let's point it out. I am sure they will be receptive to feedback. What do you think?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:06 pm

Cheer up Tom, don't be down all the time. :D

Despite being a police state moderator on this forum, I'm also a slacker. And as a slacker, I aim to do as little as possible as a rule. Heavy handed moderation goes against this greatly, too much work. I'm hopeful everyone will just keep on as they've been lately and I can keep on slacking.