Is Ableton going to get on board with mobile or what?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mekanism1200

Is Ableton going to get on board with mobile or what?

Post by mekanism1200 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:13 am

There is Cubasis for Cubase, Fl Studio Mobile for Fl Studio. Why is there no Ableton Mobile for Ableton? And dont tell me to use Gadget, all that allows is gorified stem export packaged as an .ALS file.

Fl Studio 3 will go into beta in a few months and it will allow seamless transition (back and forth) between devices, a fully scalable UI and will be on Windows phone, IOS, and Android. Is Ableton not keeping up with the times? Mobile hardware is plenty capable to run a slimmed down version of Live. I bet the majority of Ableton users have full time jobs and dont have 8-12 hours a day to spend in their studios, but they do have lunch breaks, and any extra time we could get working on projects we will take it!

Ableton, please work on a mobile version and let us at least know its in development before your customers start seeing how much greener the grass is across the street.

cotdagoo

Re: Is Ableton going to get on board with mobile or what?

Post by cotdagoo » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:51 pm

It's bad enough designing software for 2 main platforms and the endless hardware configurations.. add on multiple mobile platforms and inconsistencies between available features for developers and you'd have a real mess on your hands.

I personally could care less about a mobile version of Live.. I have a studio, faster than mobile PC, monitors, soundproofing.. I don't need a handicapped version of Live on my phone..

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:03 pm

...there is touchable so no need for a mobile version imo...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:15 pm

I hope they don't. They need to get their main shit straightened out. I mean, is it too much to ask for Push to start a fixed length recording on the 1 instead of the 3? And a simple tuner is still in beta? What a joke.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:32 pm

They don't need mobile because Touchable covers all the bases.

They Do need to implement a touch 'mode'. This would make of easier also to transition towards mobile.

Live's strength is live performance and improvisation. I can see how it'd be tempting to want a mobile controller. Touchable, LK, Conductr, Lemur, they all give us options.

But Live can be installed on laptops and tablets with touch capabilities. Why fuck around with another device to control Live when the device hosting Live can BE the device?

The main things I'd fix are:
Multiple touch point support
A touch mode for clip launching
A touch mode for arrangement
Note input via both keys and pads, along with some basic mod and XY pop-up options

This touch mode should be optional and easy to turn off completely for those who do not desire to use it. This will allow mouse use be as proficient as it already is.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:04 pm

I didn’t realize TouchAble now also includes all audio in the app and you don’t need to even use your computer at all. I was under the impression it’s just a controller app. This is great news!

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:41 pm

mekanism1200 wrote:There is Cubasis for Cubase, Fl Studio Mobile for Fl Studio. Why is there no Ableton Mobile for Ableton? And dont tell me to use Gadget, all that allows is gorified stem export packaged as an .ALS file.

Fl Studio 3 will go into beta in a few months and it will allow seamless transition (back and forth) between devices, a fully scalable UI and will be on Windows phone, IOS, and Android. Is Ableton not keeping up with the times? Mobile hardware is plenty capable to run a slimmed down version of Live. I bet the majority of Ableton users have full time jobs and dont have 8-12 hours a day to spend in their studios, but they do have lunch breaks, and any extra time we could get working on projects we will take it!

Ableton, please work on a mobile version and let us at least know its in development before your customers start seeing how much greener the grass is across the street.

I wouldn't want them to put resources in too many other areas.

I think maybe a Ipad control app would be cool though.

schlocktober

Post by schlocktober » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:03 pm

beats me wrote:I didn’t realize TouchAble now also includes all audio in the app and you don’t need to even use your computer at all. I was under the impression it’s just a controller app. This is great news!
Right?

It would be really cool if there were an app that let you start real ableton projects on an ipad. Nothing fancy, just a few core devices and effects with a slimmed down library and simplified interface. But it would export an actual live set, which you could edit with more complexity on your computer.

There could also be an ableton function that reverses the process, presenting options for a regular live set to be trimmed down to function in the app.

I hadn't thought about it before, but I'd be all over an ableton mini-DAW for ipad.

FWIW, touchable is a top-notch controller. If you already have an ipad and are looking to control ableton, it's a no-brainer.

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:20 am

Yeah all of those apps mentioned are controllers and useless unless you are at home on your network. It really surpises me more poeple arent interested in a slimmed down version of Live, maybe something like session view only type UI with multi-touch capability? Like it or not the future of computing is both mobile and multi-touch screens. Laptops will be obsolete in 5 years with hardware like the Surface Pro, and rumored Ipad Pro on the market. There will always be uses for desktops that take advantage of larger screens,mouse and keyboard, and really fast hardware, but having a slimmed down version of live running on your phone or tablet to sketch out ideas while on the go is a great thing to have, and other companies are going down this path.

If Ableton isnt going to innovate and stay current with technology what is the point to keep using it? I mean, are you guys really that excited about a new Tuner plugin for 9.2? 2 years after Live 9 is released and we get a Tuner? Wow...groundbreaking! :roll:

Jed

Post by Jed » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:34 am

schlocktober wrote:
beats me wrote:I didn’t realize TouchAble now also includes all audio in the app and you don’t need to even use your computer at all. I was under the impression it’s just a controller app. This is great news!
Right?

It would be really cool if there were an app that let you start real ableton projects on an ipad. Nothing fancy, just a few core devices and effects with a slimmed down library and simplified interface. But it would export an actual live set, which you could edit with more complexity on your computer.

There could also be an ableton function that reverses the process, presenting options for a regular live set to be trimmed down to function in the app.

I hadn't thought about it before, but I'd be all over an ableton mini-DAW for ipad.

FWIW, touchable is a top-notch controller. If you already have an ipad and are looking to control ableton, it's a no-brainer.
Have a look at Korg Gadget on the iPad sometime - you can start projects on it and import directly into Ableton - its very cool

Cheers
Jed

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:10 am

Lol, you are always such a cynical smart ass.... I love it :lol: :x

Sometimes I'll slip my laptop under the bed, run my headphones up behind the pillow and do as much as I can from touchable. I also use it as an augmentation to push instead off the computer screen. So it's similar to stand alone.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

schlocktober

Post by schlocktober » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:04 am

mekanism1200 wrote:Yeah all of those apps mentioned are controllers and useless unless you are at home on your network.

I think Touchable 3 works over the ipad's usb cable, in addition to wifi. It's still just a controller, but you don't need a network anymore.

I like your idea of a self-contained ableton app that is really focused on session view.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:07 am

Check out the Novation Launchpad iOS app in the meantime, it's like a cut down version of session view. Electrify NXT as well.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:00 am

Yes, let's call it Live Sketch. An app designed for those times when you have a musical idea which cries out to be jotted down, but you're on on the road...

(1) Focus on Session view
(2) Limited track number (8-16)
(3) Only Live devices
(4) Good connectivity and import/export support, Audiobus, etc
(5) EUR 50

I would place a pre-order now.

I would crowdfund it too.

jbw

Post by jbw » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:43 pm

Touchable has a really cool mode called: provide your own sounds mode. Let me demonstrate:

Boop Bap Boop Bap Boop Bap Boop Bap...
Duhn duhn duhn duhn duhn duhn duhn duhn tchk tchk...
Chicka dah dah dah...
Nuh Nuh... Nuh Nuh...

Billy Jean, in case you didn't recognize.