"Crackling" sound on recordings

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nredmon

"Crackling" sound on recordings

Post by nredmon » Fri May 22, 2015 12:47 pm

I've started using Live to do live recordings lately and I'm having a problem with a "crackling" sound on both drum tracks, vocal tracks, and anything else that is recorded through a microphone. I'm on a Macbook, running the new Yosemite, and my interface is the Presonus Firestudio. My signal is not showing to be clipping. I even get the static/crackle when I'm singing softly. Has anyone had this problem? Is it an Ableton thing or a Presonus thing? It comes and goes with no rhyme or reason.

Valiumdupeuple

Re: "Crackling" sound on recordings

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Fri May 22, 2015 2:47 pm

What's is your audio buffer latency setting ?
Did you try using other cables ?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri May 22, 2015 3:14 pm

nredmon wrote:I'm on a Macbook, running the new Yosemite, and my interface is the Presonus Firestudio.
Could you please describe the MacBook in more detail and also the load? Are you using the net? Turn it off when making music.
Make some music!

SLEEarts

Post by SLEEarts » Fri May 22, 2015 3:55 pm

I've had this same issue lately, and I think I've been able to troubleshoot my way to identifying it as a DPC latency issue in my case. There can be other culprits though. Ableton has a good article on this, NI has a better article. Read them and troubleshoot.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri May 22, 2015 4:37 pm

SLEEarts wrote:I've had this same issue lately, and I think I've been able to troubleshoot my way to identifying it as a DPC latency issue in my case. There can be other culprits though. Ableton has a good article on this, NI has a better article. Read them and troubleshoot.
Links? Searched the NI site and came up with forum entries only.
Make some music!

SLEEarts

Post by SLEEarts » Fri May 22, 2015 9:02 pm

Sorry, I just saw you're on OSX. The article I referenced was Windows.

nredmon

Post by nredmon » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:34 pm

Valiumdupeuple wrote:What's is your audio buffer latency setting ?
Did you try using other cables ?
What should those setting be at? I'm not sure what to do with them.

nredmon

Post by nredmon » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:37 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
nredmon wrote:I'm on a Macbook, running the new Yosemite, and my interface is the Presonus Firestudio.
Could you please describe the MacBook in more detail and also the load? Are you using the net? Turn it off when making music.
It's a Macbook Pro, 2.9 Ghz processor Intel Core i7, 8GB 1600 DDR3

I do usually have my wifi turned on, so I'll start turning that off while recording.

gjm

Post by gjm » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:22 pm

I have similar issues after updating the Firestudio drivers. Specifically mine are to do with exporting audio. It seems like levels have changed somehow and things get distorted. I have also noticed when playing songs from iTunes there is distortion where there was none before. I think it is a Presonus thing.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller