The nine point two thread

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: The nine point two thread

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:32 am

Quez wrote:made a post for it but...

M4Live 7 requests an old Java SE 6 install.. which 6.1 never asked me for (and is running fine without it.. or voodo magic)

it's crashing Live 9.2 on startup coz I got a ton of devices in my start-up rack.

Right now trying to get as far as possible in Live to change the Max app pref back to 6.1
crossing my finger to be able to change it before it crashes again

great times... (x_x);
If that gets too tedious for you, you can delete the preferences.cfg file and come anew

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article/reset-live/

mzky

Post by mzky » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:07 am

I didn't noticed any improvement playing my set, but after 2 hours of music live 9.2 started clicking and popping. I restarted the program, same set and the clicks stopped....

stevemac

Post by stevemac » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:09 am

re:dream wrote:Replace.

But I did not get that message. It just installed , quick as a snake.
Thanks dude, but if the one in the location has a 'newer name', would that suggest it's already there!?

gjm

Post by gjm » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:55 am

stevemac wrote:
re:dream wrote:Replace.

But I did not get that message. It just installed , quick as a snake.
Thanks dude, but if the one in the location has a 'newer name', would that suggest it's already there!?
I did not choose replace. It is 9.2 coming down the pipes but for some reason it thinks 9.1.10 is newer.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:09 am

I've been using the beta exclusively for ages now, but unless I run into new bugs (or they announce a new major feature), I'm gonna stick with 9.2 from now on. To me, this is without question the best and most stable Live version yet. I hope 9.2 turns out to be a smooth experience to everyone, so that the Abes can fully concentrate on the next .0 version... :mrgreen:

Andrew Hill

Post by Andrew Hill » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:32 am

Downloaded the 32 bit version. Seems generally ok with a recent set, haven't had time to check others.

However I downloaded the Mad Zach pack to test out the 64 pad mode and getting lots of pops and clicks, particularly when I play his kick drums in the bottom right section of Push.

Yet DIVA and Tyrell seem to be performing marginally better with less drop outs on CPU intensive patches., although as I say not really had time to test.

Cannot understand why those Mad Zach drum racks would introduce such a CPU hit though...? Might try and see if similar happens on 64 pad mode on any other of the drum packs that come with suite.

I also upgraded to Max 7 and uninstalled Max 6, and redirected Ableton to the new version of Max. Presumably this was correct, couldn't see much advice anywhere about it.

Andrew Hill

Post by Andrew Hill » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:23 am

Andrew Hill wrote:Downloaded the 32 bit version. Seems generally ok with a recent set, haven't had time to check others.

However I downloaded the Mad Zach pack to test out the 64 pad mode and getting lots of pops and clicks, particularly when I play his kick drums in the bottom right section of Push.

Yet DIVA and Tyrell seem to be performing marginally better with less drop outs on CPU intensive patches., although as I say not really had time to test.

Cannot understand why those Mad Zach drum racks would introduce such a CPU hit though...? Might try and see if similar happens on 64 pad mode on any other of the drum packs that come with suite.

I also upgraded to Max 7 and uninstalled Max 6, and redirected Ableton to the new version of Max. Presumably this was correct, couldn't see much advice anywhere about it.

Switched to ASIO drivers instead of Focusrite (I have Saffire 6 USB) and went to 48 instead of 44. Seems to have done the trick. Still hitting 40 - 60% CPU when playing that first drum rack of his though.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:49 am

filter_7 wrote:I am downloading it right now...

Could you tell me if a project saved with 9.2 can be opened with 9.1.8 ?
Is it backward compatibile?
Yes it is, unless you save a project in 9.2 containing the new Tuner device... simply because Tuner doesn't exist in 9.1.x

Cheers
J.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Joel W-J

Post by Joel W-J » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:07 am

Apologies if this has already been answered. I just wanted to warn people as quickly as possible when I saw the question...

9.1.x will not open sets saved in 9.2!

Joel

rydan

Post by rydan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:37 am

Joel W-J wrote:Apologies if this has already been answered. I just wanted to warn people as quickly as possible when I saw the question...

9.1.x will not open sets saved in 9.2!

Joel
Quite understandable. To be forwards-compatible, you would have to predict the future. That's kind of hard to do... =)
Live + M4L, MacBookPro & Ultralite mk3. Plugins from Softube, Soundtoys, Eventide, 2CAudio, Cytomic, AudioDamage, OhmForce, FabFilter, SonicCharge, Waves, MadronaLabs, NI and ExpertSleepers. Oh, and a bunch of hardware... =D

http://www.pinknoise.se

Joel W-J

Post by Joel W-J » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:54 am

@ rydan

Absolutely right Marty Mcfly.

But...what if you find 9.2 unusable, you inadvertently save the set in 9.2 official (because you have been used to that function working with while you were switching the set between live 9.1.x and 9.2 Beta for testing) and decide that you want to continue with 9.1.10...then you try to open that precious set you were working on with that earlier version of Live and find you can't since you installed the official 9.2 version?

Joel.

rydan

Post by rydan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:08 pm

Joel W-J wrote:@ rydan

Absolutely right Marty Mcfly.

But...what if you find 9.2 unusable, you inadvertently save the set in 9.2 official (because you have been used to that function working with while you were switching the set between live 9.1.x and 9.2 Beta for testing) and decide that you want to continue with 9.1.10...then you try to open that precious set you were working on with that earlier version of Live and find you can't since you installed the official 9.2 version?

Joel.
Then you'd be fucked. Time to revert to backup. It's often a good idea to do a "save as" as soon as you open a project in a new version of live, these things have happened before.
Live + M4L, MacBookPro & Ultralite mk3. Plugins from Softube, Soundtoys, Eventide, 2CAudio, Cytomic, AudioDamage, OhmForce, FabFilter, SonicCharge, Waves, MadronaLabs, NI and ExpertSleepers. Oh, and a bunch of hardware... =D

http://www.pinknoise.se

Joel W-J

Post by Joel W-J » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:18 pm

@ rydan

I was f**cked yes. I had to rebuild back into 9.1.10. This involved exporting the midi notes from 9.2 and importing back into 9.1.10. Painful to open 9.2 along side 9.1.10 I can tell you, especially when you only have 1gb of RAM left out of 8!

But as I said, I was used to doing that opening a set with each version and switching while testing and so it was a bit of a surprise to me. Live and learn. I think that is something base camp should make clear in any release notes. I have now started to add the version number to the end of my live set names! Cheers dude. :wink:

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:20 pm

As I just said a post above yours
Yes it is (backward compatible), unless you save a project in 9.2 containing the new Tuner device... simply because Tuner doesn't exist in 9.1.x

Cheers
J.
Ableton Forum Moderator

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:00 pm

Yes but you have it backward. They are worried about forwards compatability. In other words, will I be able to open it in 2.9 Evil?