Machinedrum SPS-1 UW+ & Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
empathy1

Machinedrum SPS-1 UW+ & Ableton

Post by empathy1 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:16 am

hello everyone.

just got myself an sps-1UW+ mk2. loving the thing so far. however I'm trying to figure out ways to integrate it into my ableton live setup. much of what I've read online is many years old, however I've found there are two ways of going about this;

1) use the onboard sequencer and trigger program changes from ableton live

2) map drum rack to machinedrum to trigger sounds

I've read that only by using the first method can I take full advantage of the parameter locks. I'm wondering if there is a way to route CC Midi data from Ableton so I can control parameters from there; sans parameter locks (unless it is possible).

I've read there is a Max4Live device for this as well; however I'm running Standard and don't have that option yet.

Please share any tips you might have for using the MD and Ableton, as well as any methods that may help to present efficient workflow.

best

c

Tarekith

Re: Machinedrum SPS-1 UW+ & Ableton

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:42 am

It's the interaction between the sequencer and the sounds that makes Elektron gear so powerful, if you're not going to use it's sequencer, you're missing out on a lot IMO.

empathy1

Post by empathy1 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:01 am

Tarekith wrote:It's the interaction between the sequencer and the sounds that makes Elektron gear so powerful, if you're not going to use it's sequencer, you're missing out on a lot IMO.
was thinking the same. i enjoy the parameter locks and in-house effects very much. was just wondering if there was a way to CC parameter changes from ableton.

it is indeed quite the sequencer!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:08 am

You should be able to CC control most of the parameters, I think the actual CC numbers are in the back of the MD manual. There might be a M4L device for controlling it too, I seem to remember seeing one of those a couple years ago.

Oh, here's some tips to keep you busy too:

http://tarekith.com/assets/machinedrum_ ... tricks.htm

empathy1

Post by empathy1 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:09 am

also...when i do go the method of program changes via clips in ableton...the program tends to play for an additional loop before switching to the next. is this an issue with mapping or latency? haven't begun to troubleshoot yet.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:18 am

No idea, I never did that.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:27 am

i own the MD SPS-1UW MK2.....i haven't gotten as deep as you want to get with it. i use it for creating drum loops then recording them into audio tracks in LIVE. i've noticed recording with it, quite a bit of latency....i realize latency issues can be dependent on your system....but this issue is well documented on the internetz(here and other sites) with the MD+live
basically, don't be surprised when/if it happens. :wink:
i'm not sure if it will be the same while performing or sequencing or while using other synths. it could be a possibility if you are routing the audio from the MD back in to Live and trying to play along with it.
an example of the issue....i couldn't record a loop from the MD to an audio track, then try to play another loop on the MD along with that track without dragging the first transient back to 1.1.1

that would be the first thing i would try out....check and see if everything syncs up tight, THEN figure out how you want to use it.

there is a fix, supposedly you can mess around with the latency settings in live? i tried messing with it a little....but still had issues. so i decided to just live with it.

That being said, the MD is pretty powerful, you can do a lot of stuff with that guy....you just have to import some of your own snare sounds.....the ones that come with the MD are god awful.
good luck.
Last edited by eddiex on Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:30 am

(all of this was being written while you and Tarekith where conversating)
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.