CPU Going crazy since few days

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
strtch

CPU Going crazy since few days

Post by strtch » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:03 pm

Hello There,

Since few days i can't run the projects i worked a week ago.
When i open a project, the CPU begin at 15-20% like normal, but after few min. it's going worse and worse til 100%+ and can't do anything... All worked good few days ago.

Also there was an automatic update was enable (was sure to set if off but..) so i'm on 9.2. Wondering if i downgrade the to 9.1.7 or something it will solve something but can't find the install in ableton website.

Any help is welcome!

Ableton live 9.2
MacBookPro retina (late 2013) 2,3Ghz i7, 16Go Ram.
Apollo Twin and

Joel W-J

Re: CPU Going crazy since few days

Post by Joel W-J » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:06 am

I thinks that they's only keeps' the previous'version (just watched the Hobbit sorry!), in this case 9.1.10. Sorry to hear that you are having cpu meltdowns. I am having RAM meltdowns which are preventing me from using Orchestral Packs with 9.2. Visually, it is clear as day but the processes don't show that there is a problem. I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of users with isolated problems. Run through the posts and your get an idea. (Apologies for that negative note)

I tested the Beta 9.2 and found that it misbehaved. Even with visual evidence. Why would 9.1.10 load something so fast that it is unrecordable and 9.2 load the same thing so slowly that I could go into the kitchen and put the kettle on, come back and find it still loading? Moreover, I sometimes mixdown with Laptop on my lap in front of home hifi setup and it was noticeably hotter on my knee. :lol:

My advice...bow out gracefully as a 9.2 user, roll back to the last version you can get you hands on, install them together in different locations (pointing the software to the same library seems to be ok) and rock backwards and forwards between the two versions making the best use, you can, from both. That way you satisfy Base Camp that you have the latest version, when asking for support, and satisfy yourself when you can still work. :wink:

Downgrading is risky because then you are stuffed when the latest version causes you problems and you have no way of working and going back to anything.

In the mean time I will check my backups to see if I can get my hands on an older version for you.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:39 am

https://www.ableton.com/en/download/archive/

^^Legacy Version installers :D

The word is you can open projects in the last version of 9.1 AS LONG AS they don't contain the new Tuner plugin.

HTH
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

strtch

Post by strtch » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:44 pm

Thanks for your answers.
The weird thing was all worked perfectly a week ago. Tried to remove some "trial" plugs i downloaded between that, nothing.
Tried to clean the OSX "systemprefs".. and worse!
I'm waiting for another advices from other forum, i'll come back here after.

@Pitch Black: You mean, i have to trash those "tuner plugin" from the (9.1.something) installer to get my project working from 9.2?

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:22 pm

While researching a different issue, I noticed that Live 9.2 regenerates the "sample analysis" (.asd) files for any samples used in a project created in 9.1. If you then switch back and open the project in 9.1, those .asd files get regenerated again. So each time you switch between 9.1 and 9.2, samples are getting re-analyzed. The analysis process takes some time and uses a good bit of CPU.

If your project uses a lot of samples (or a few large ones, like some from the Orchestral packs), this re-analysis might be what's causing the high CPU usage you're seeing.

Again, each time you switch between 9.1 and 9.2, you'll get that hit. It should only be a one-time hit if you stick with one version of Live.

Whether this re-analysis between 9.1 and 9.2 is normal or expected, I can't say. All I know is that's what I see on my system.

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

Jason Seizures

Post by Jason Seizures » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:32 am

Same problem here! I opened a project made with 9.1.10. It worked for 15min and then the cpu load jumped to 2000% and in the status bar it says "buffering samples 0%". After 0.5 hour it was still 0%. I opened a new default project and still it's "buffering samples 0%" and the cpu load is jumping between 50 to 800%.

I installed 9.1.10 and now that exact same problem with it too.

What's going on here?!? What samples is it buffering when there's no samples or plug-ins in the default project?

osx 10.9.5
Ableton live 9.2
Macbook Pro late 2012 2.9Ghz i7, 8gt ram