camelaudio website gone, forgot to download software/soundba

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JAMM

camelaudio website gone, forgot to download software/soundba

Post by JAMM » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:21 pm

Oops! should have done this before 07 juli but forgot (bizy schedule)

Any way to retrieve or download this software sound banks somewhere??

Airyck

Re: camelaudio website gone, forgot to download software/soundba

Post by Airyck » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:15 pm

Ouch, I bet you could find installers but not serials. Turns out Apple bought camel audio
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:27 pm

This is reminding me of how people treat email with a complete lack of urgency and importance now. Save it for later and ultimately forget about it.

Social media is now the king of “Oh shit, better act now!!” urgency. Email might as well be the news print garbage that makes up 97% of what you receive in your postal box.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:52 pm

I usually put serials and purchase info in Evernote so I don't lose them in the sea of emails.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:16 pm

i have an account for each kind of email:

general bullshit 'we need your email address in order to proceed' even though i don't give a fuck about what they have to offer beyond today email account

not total bullshit i don't really want your emails but i do need to file this somewhere email account

all audio related downloads and purchases email account

all people i actually want to talk to should use this email email account

work email

old beat up ass email account that convinced me to start doing shit this way email account

it's always fun to watch the SPAM start after signing up for a product that i just added to one of them... i know which mailing list does it on the clean accounts, like the audio one, because... i sign up for a something and BLAM the shit starts pouring in. unsubscribe, unsubscribe, unsubscribe

@ JAMM - sorry i only have that to contribute. i never purchased anything from Camel Audio

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:22 pm

no installers and soundbanks to be found but no problem if my current laptop keeps working.
Well, also a good moment to start new productions without alchemy/camel audio plugs and never update old productions on a future laptop;)

UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:54 am

JAMM wrote: Well, also a good moment to start new productions without alchemy/camel audio plugs and never update old productions on a future laptop;)
Cool as Alchemy is, I think I've only used it in a single finished track, so not a huge loss there.

However, I've used CamelSpace on nearly every track I've done in the past three years. Gonna have to find a replacement for that.

I actually did download backups of all my Camel stuff when they first announced it, but noticed that when I installed all the stuff on my new DAW PC a couple weeks ago, the instaler still touched the Camel website a few times. If the site's offline now, I'm not sure what that's gonna look like for future installs. I'm just gonna try to not use it at all anymore for new tracks I guess.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:24 am

Hmm... This kind of ties into that other thread about third party plugins in general: what guarantee do we have that any of our plugins will still work a couple of years down the road? Is this fear supposed to deter us from making music altogether?

I guess, if you want to feel safer, you should always bounce to audio when you've got a "keeper" that's completely dependent on one particular plugin. And always keep copies of your installers.

I might be obliged to try running the Camel installers on my throwaway laptop, just to see if it's still possible to install. I grabbed them as soon as they announced their closing down; I really like using Alchemy for ambiences and sound design, as well as CamelSpace, which I use all the time (mostly because of its sequencer, which has so many pages, compared to others).

UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:48 pm

sporkles wrote:Hmm... This kind of ties into that other thread about third party plugins in general: what guarantee do we have that any of our plugins will still work a couple of years down the road? Is this fear supposed to deter us from making music altogether?

I guess, if you want to feel safer, you should always bounce to audio when you've got a "keeper" that's completely dependent on one particular plugin. And always keep copies of your installers.
Your argument could probably be extended even further- what guarantee do we have that any of the software we use (including DAWs) will still work X years from now. For one thing there's the whole authentication question (Ableton's activation limits, for example). But then you've got software that simply won't run on modern operating systems. Maybe someday VMs might be a solution, but today there are usually still too many issues with latency and device access to make VMs a feasible way to freeze music software in a stable image.

Along the lines of what you suggested, here's what I do:
  • I save every installer of everything I purchase in a giant "Downloads" folder, which is sorted by vendor. This is on a 2TB drive where I also keep sample data/sound libraries. This drive gets incremental backups every day.
  • I occasionally do go through my "finished tracks" folders and make sure that every track plays, and then bounce every "live" track to audio. This way I won't be dead in the water if one of my plugins doesn't make it into the future.
  • I'm hanging onto my old DAW PC for the time being. Everything's still installed on it and still works (assuming I plug my iloks and elicensers and waves dongles into it), and I'm just going to keep it in the basement for as long as I can, in case I've overlooked anything in the migration that I might not be able to recover from online.
Would like to hear how the Camel install works out now that the site's offline. Last night I bought the Vengeance Essential Effects Pack Version 2 because the included Trance Gate looks like a possible replacement at least for that aspect of CamelSpace.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:01 pm

UltimateOutsider wrote:
sporkles wrote:Hmm... This kind of ties into that other thread about third party plugins in general: what guarantee do we have that any of our plugins will still work a couple of years down the road? Is this fear supposed to deter us from making music altogether?

Your argument could probably be extended even further- what guarantee do we have that any of the software we use (including DAWs) will still work X years from now. For one thing there's the whole authentication question (Ableton's activation limits, for example). But then you've got software that simply won't run on modern operating systems. Maybe someday VMs might be a solution, but today there are usually still too many issues with latency and device access to make VMs a feasible way to freeze music software in a stable image.
Logic was bought by Apple years ago and they discontinued the Windows version for example. Tomorrow it's possible that Apple or Windows buy Ableton and discontinue etc.
OS9 was discontinued, massive amounts of Max/MSP patches were lost... The only guaranteed thing is to freeze a set up in an OS with plug ins and DAW etc. Software beyond that has a lifespan. :|

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:55 am

JAMM wrote:no installers and soundbanks to be found but no problem if my current laptop keeps working.
Well, also a good moment to start new productions without alchemy/camel audio plugs and never update old productions on a future laptop;)
Well since you already have it installed Id zip up an entire backup of your alchemy library directory. I believe that as long as you could find the original installer you should be able to unpack your library on a new install and have it all show up

The keys are all the .aky files in the main library dir, so as long as you have those they should show up as licensed in a new install as well. The problem with finding the installers is that a couple years ago they moved from having separate downloadable licenses and installers to packing them all in to one. So most peoples installers are going to be specific to their account