Using Arturia Beat Step Pro with Push ??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
EasyWorkflow

Using Arturia Beat Step Pro with Push ??

Post by EasyWorkflow » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:33 am

Hello Friends,

I own Push and was wondering if this a controller that would integrate with Push and add additional functionality & control with Ableton. Or does this controller basically perform most of the functions of Push.

Check out the videos on their site.: They are using Ableton as their DAW. What caught my attention was the amazing sounds created using their two sequencers. Plus sells for $299.

http://www.arturia.com/beatstep-pro/details

Thanks

BobbyD

Machinesworking

Re: Using Arturia Beat Step Pro with Push ??

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:22 am

It's not out yet. Looks amazing for certain types of writing. I'm a fan of single note old school step sequencers and Beatstep is the modern version of one.

I'm planning on getting one, whether it works for you depends on the type of music you want to do. I like driving bass lines, and besides doing them myself this pushes you in a slightly different direction creation wise. Plus I have a few analog synths that this would CV with. 8)

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:00 am

Ahh the danger of promo videos...

If you own push you're not gonna find tighter integration anywhere else. You've got melodic and drum sequencing covered or you can choose to sequence melodic material via drum sequence or visa versa! LCD display, unlimited track banking, solo mutes (although these are not totally easy to get to from some pages), volume control, pitch and modwheel...should I go on? The only reason I can think anyone with push might want the beatstep outside of GAS is because they have a good selection of analog/modular gear they want to interface otherwise I think it would be money wasted imo.

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:50 pm

From a strictly MIDI control of Live, I wouldn't get a beatstep pro if I already had a Push.

But, if you want to sequence other things such as external drum machines, external synths, etc. then the combo would be pretty tight I would think.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:48 pm

The step sequencer in Beatstep Pro is completely different than the way Push does it.
I prefer the Beatstep approach, but it I think in the case of Easyworkflow it would be best to actually use one before buying.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:15 am

My last post may have come across overly judgmental but if you hadn't guessed I was also trying to talk myself out of wanting one! :lol:

I guess it could also be good for setting up nice polyrythmic stuff if it allows for changing of step length. But again push with pxt can do this.

My one major gripe with arturia is that their customer support is poor, really bad in fact When compared to other music tech companies with international customer base. I guess we're spoilt with ableton :wink:

Never had to use them for the minibrute but sparkLe I have issues with and they don't seem to be addressing ongoing issues with the product such as broken midi out (just check their forum to many posts go unanswered) and when I last sent mail to their support a two paragraph description of my problem I received a one line response that didn't even make sense! Literally like someone was responding in their non native language. Maybe it was the cleaner filling in. :lol:

Their hardware is solid and well built but I wouldn't rely on their software.
Btw if anyone wants a sparkLe for dirt cheap let me know :P

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:34 am

irrelevance wrote:My last post may have come across overly judgmental but if you hadn't guessed I was also trying to talk myself out of wanting one! :lol:

I guess it could also be good for setting up nice polyrythmic stuff if it allows for changing of step length. But again push with pxt can do this.

My one major gripe with arturia is that their customer support is poor, really bad in fact When compared to other music tech companies with international customer base. I guess we're spoilt with ableton :wink:

Never had to use them for the minibrute but sparkLe I have issues with and they don't seem to be addressing ongoing issues with the product such as broken midi out (just check their forum to many posts go unanswered) and when I last sent mail to their support a two paragraph description of my problem I received a one line response that didn't even make sense! Literally like someone was responding in their non native language. Maybe it was the cleaner filling in. :lol:

Their hardware is solid and well built but I wouldn't rely on their software.
Btw if anyone wants a sparkLe for dirt cheap let me know :P
I feel you big time. I got Spark Dubstep for a dollar on a Stupid Deal of the Day a while ago. I play harder stuff, so it's pretty cool, except the authorization is hosed, they suck at anything but dongles... (there's an inappropriate joke there) so I just imported the sounds into a Drum Rack and into Maschine. The whole experience with this turns me off to them for sure.

Mostly I think using the knobs to control the note is much better, of course this makes polyphonic step sequencing harder, but I'm more interested in this kind of workflow for basslines than doing full polyphonic parts anyway, easier IMO to just record it in and quantize it if you're doing things that aren't in a 303 style etc. Anyway at $250 I'm willing to take the chance, but I think considering EasyWorkFlow's lack of experience with Push etc, it's best to know what you want before throwing money down.

chisslemynissle

Post by chisslemynissle » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:36 am

Got Beatstep pro just the other day and try to 'Intergrate it into my Ableton/push environment.
not working together as it was advertised on the promo.
basically all that you can do with the Arturia you can do with push too - plus it's an easier workflow on push
i feel a bit like a dick having spend AU$460 to have that thing flown in from france just to find out that i don/t really need it
anybody interested in a brandnew beatsteppro? selling for AU$400...all in pristine condition with all the papers and original box

on another topic
downloaded Wave DNA for ableton...much more usefull for a fraction of the price