the famous "Sample is Offline" Ableton situation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jasper

the famous "Sample is Offline" Ableton situation

Post by jasper » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:13 am

I know Ableton is that kind of daw, where thousands of users see the same
problem and nobody over at your place gives a crap.
but just so you're aware of it:

YOUR APP HAS A SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH PUTTING AUDIO FILES
INTO BURIED UNNAMED PLACES AND THEN LOSING IT ANYWAY

where does your app put audio? hi!

why is there a list of 290 Temp projects?
why is it that after I save a song, all the samples that were in the default template are suddenly "offline" ?

if there's another definition of "piece of shit app", you should let people know.

Da hand

Re: the famous "Sample is Offline" Ableton situation

Post by Da hand » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:05 am

jasper wrote: YOUR APP HAS A SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH PUTTING AUDIO FILES
INTO BURIED UNNAMED PLACES AND THEN LOSING IT ANYWAY
Never happens to me, so I am not sure what is going on in your case. I know exactly where all the files for my projects are (and I have hundreds) and if they become "offline" it is only because I moved the sample source location somehow. The only other thing that might happen without you moving anything is if your system is changing the drive letter of your external hard drive constantly and then Live of course can't find the files. But that is an OS preferences issue, not a Live issue.

Any files you cache are located in the Cache folder - clearly specified in Preferences. The only other place Live will save your files into is your project folder - when you do a collect all and save, recordings, consolidations etc. So then it depends on how you organize and save your projects.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:07 am

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:14 am

jasper wrote: why is it that after I save a song, all the samples that were in the default template are suddenly "offline" ?
The default template is its own separate set that you choose to load upon opening live. It has nothing to do with any project you are currently saving (unless you specifically "Save Current Set as Default" before you close the current set).

So in fact, the samples that were in the default template are not "suddenly" offline - they just remain offline each time you load that set.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:21 am

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:45 am

Are you trying to save your projects into the default library, or your user library?

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:43 am

Collect all and save – that's your solution.

hfasher

Post by hfasher » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:53 am

Come on guy's how about something helpful here? This is an old post but as I have been having the same problem I thought I would post my solution.
It seems like it is a bad idea to record audio directly into the default template of live and then save your project afterward especially if you save your projects to an external disk. To avoid losing your audio create a template for recording audio on your external disk and then collect and save as in your desired directory once you have a groove that you want to keep. Even better is to name and save your project before you begin recording and be diligent about deleting projects that are tests or just a bit shit. :wink:

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:15 am

hfasher wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:53 am
Come on guy's how about something helpful here?
Fanu wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:43 am
Collect all and save – that's your solution.
I can guarantee collect all and save WILL work.
Also, if it's missing, click on the "here" on bottom left, then hover your cursor on the of the sample on the sidebar on the right, and look at the bottom bar: it'll show you where it was last saved…did you delete it from there? Chances are you did. That's where the file was when it was last used in the project.

zdelpaz

Post by zdelpaz » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:18 pm

All this talk. just watched this vid and fixed it in 5 minutes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-70M8aCqt4

dcm_guitar

Post by dcm_guitar » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:54 am

Just wanted to add I created a new project. I did a "collect all and save"option before closing. And, of course, Live can not find the hours of work I did earlier.'

Live truly is a piece of utter garbage at times.