Why didn't you guys tell me that Falling Skys was back on !!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
starving student

Why didn't you guys tell me that Falling Skys was back on !!

Post by starving student » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:41 am

8O
toms back and he kissed an alien

regretfullySaid

Re: Why didn't you guys tell me that Falling Skys was back on !!

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:17 pm

Unless they pay, then he loves them.
ImageImage

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:31 pm

:x Pope needs to stop all of this damn insubordination, he was never like this on stargate ffs and Hal, dammit Hal get over it already, why would you want a be with a chick that was transmitting the feeling of whatever you guys were doin to your little brother, that's just freakin nasty 8O

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:56 am

I'm on Pope's side. Tom is off his rocker. I mean, cmon, he's hallucinating about aliens from another dimension, which should have been enough to send him to the looney bin since everyone knows aliens don't exist. Pretty soon he'll be spewing on and on about how jet fuel can't melt steel beams and Malaysian flight whatever flew to the moon. Tom needs to buckle down and focus on REAL WORLD problems, like, for example, the way the weird blue aliens laugh. WTF SERIOUSLY. Also shaved heads are cool.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:42 am

nah this is the calm before the storm, Tom has to get crazy cause he knows that the skitters and shit aren't the worst problem anymore, he knows that this skitter ancestor that's helping him out right now is probably going to turn the tables and drop some unknown type of terror on them all, Pope never sees the big picture, c'mon how you gonna ride with a dude that has a hissyfit and cuts all his hair off, he needs to find a theatre troupe he can't be a freedom fighter. I confess I had high hopes for him but now that his lady's gone he's outta his mind.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:05 pm

Her name was SARA damnit!! You're just like Tom, she means no more to you than that broken shovel Pope incinerated.

I mean really Tom's got no chance. Pope's in the woods with a gun and Tom doopdeedooing along straight to him. And Pope isn't a storm trooper, so he sure as hell isn't gonna miss. Who wants a history teacher for a leader anyways. Would you follow your high school history teacher to the ends of the earth? I didn't think so. Cueball head for Prez!

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:09 pm

Never seen the show but I'm thinking maybe this thread is more interesting
ImageImage

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:24 pm

I don't think it's that good. I mean...we've been spoiled by big budget sci-fi flicks...how decent can a made-for-TV sci-fi show be on a TV show budget. CG Fx are critical to sci-fi of this type, and I find them to be lame for this show not to mention how much airtime is filled with B.S. dialog. <Yaaaawn>. :| I'll wait for the next Prometheus or Avatar installment for my dose of sci-fi, thank you kindly.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:31 pm

Naw hey if the story and characters are good then it counters the budget fx, maybe it's like that...plenty of other shows like that...
ImageImage

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:53 am

shadx312 wrote:Naw hey if the story and characters are good then it counters the budget fx, maybe it's like that...plenty of other shows like that...
Too much useless irrelevant dialog for me - a sure sign of fillers and binders to make up for a thin Fx budget. I stopped watching after 10 minutes into S01E02. Hey - if there are those who dig it, coolio. My take is that if you're doing a series on aliens taking over the world, there better be some slick production Fx and some realistic stuff - not just an occasional menacing MechWarrior ripoff bot or two being blown up with M80's and a stick of dynamite.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:00 am

Especially if Spielberg is involved, well then, Exec Producer isn't that involved is it?

Which I don't mean sarcastically, but as in like 'Hey thay sounds like a good idea, here' s some money'
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:23 am

Styles Bitchly wrote:I don't think it's that good. I mean...we've been spoiled by big budget sci-fi flicks...how decent can a made-for-TV sci-fi show be on a TV show budget. CG Fx are critical to sci-fi of this type, and I find them to be lame for this show not to mention how much airtime is filled with B.S. dialog. <Yaaaawn>. :| I'll wait for the next Prometheus or Avatar installment for my dose of sci-fi, thank you kindly.
lol, so your style of sci-fi are two of the cheesiest most unscientific sci-fi movies in recent history?

But don't worry your brand of sci-fi is unfortunately en-vouge. So I don't think you will have to wait long for more.

Regarding TV Sci-fi: story telling beats special effects by a long shot for me and I would really wish that TV producers would embrace that since the big budgets for special effects are the reason why so few sci fi TV shows are made.
For me a good story can definitely rescue my enjoyment in a show, if the fx are shit, but good fx never rescue it from a bad story.

This is part of the reason why I'm hesitent to watch this season of Falling Skys. The first two seasons were pretty damn good. Well told interesting story with good timing. But last seasons magic angle mutant and her evil wizzard overlords from outerspace just soured my interest in the show for good I think. :x

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:09 am

@TV

Call'em what you like...and I'd agree about the plotline of Prometheus having a bit of cheddar sprinkled about, but Prometheus and Avatar were two of the most gorgeous looking sci-fi flicks in recent memory. Interstellar was likewise another more recent beautiful piece of cinematic work. Yeah, I guess I'm guilty of liking the visual side of things - sue me, mang. I don't believe for one second that most sci-fi buffs settle in with a bag of popcorn to imagine the aliens or whatever lurking just beyond the subterfuge. :|

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:47 am

It's not that I don't enjoy the occasional space battle on the big screen or the attack of huge robot armies. But these hugely expensive fx fests are the reason that TV (as opposed to cinema) doesn't take on sci-fi themes as much. And I rather take a good sci-fi story, with strings running through the screen pulling paper machee aliens, than no sci-fi at all.

Take Continuum for example. A very well thought out and paced story about a near future world, where since the actually story mostly takes place in the here and now (time travel), it probably didn't cost much more than a regular crime series. But since it was an interesting sci-fi story I enjoyed it much more than I would have enjoyed said crime series.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:51 pm

Also interesting to note that in the final season of Fringe they upped the SFX a LOT, and as a result the story suffered a lot too. The whole last season was totally not needed.