Sample playback-processing hardware

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Korhan

Sample playback-processing hardware

Post by Korhan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I've recently started working on a hardware-software performance system where I plan to use a Volca Sample and a microGranny to playback/granulate samples. These units I find more flexible and instantly gratifying then messing with software samplers, etc. I will also use an iPad running a Samplr or Borderlands. Ableton Live will serve for playing longer samples, some synths and also as a MIDI processing-routing system for using external controllers to control external synths/fx units.

So, my question is... what are other creative sample playback, granulation, etc hardware that you are using, except for the Volca Sample, microGranny and iPad apps?

Thanks
Computer: MBP M1Pro 32GB 1TB, MixPre 6 MKII
Hardware: Syntrx II, Matriarch, Hydrasynth, Minifreak, Nord Drum 2, Modular (mainly Make Noise)
Controllers: Push 3, Launchpad Mk3, Launch Control, Sensel Morph, PC4, Nanokontrol

Tarekith

Re: Sample playback-processing hardware

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:44 pm

Octatrack :)

Korhan

Post by Korhan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:55 pm

I should have also said "affordable" :)))

On the other hand, I've been thinking about getting one to replace the computer for live performance, but for the kind of work I do, I am not yet convinced if Octatrack can replace my computer instruments... maybe I can ask this to you Tarekith:

Does Octatrack allow you to MIDI control sample loop points (start-end or even better, start & loop length) in real time?

Thanks
Hardware: Syntrx II, Matriarch, Hydrasynth, Minifreak, Nord Drum 2, Modular (mainly Make Noise)
Controllers: Push 3, Launchpad Mk3, Launch Control, Sensel Morph, PC4, Nanokontrol

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:30 pm

Good question, I honestly don't know though. Off the top of my head I don't think so, but at the same time why not just use it's controls for that? You can assign them to the crossfader scenes and use that quite easily.

Korhan

Post by Korhan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:33 pm

True, but I'd like to be able to manipulate more than one sample at a time. This is how I work with my improvising setup that involves various Simplers whose start/loop length/transpose params are controlled by QuNeo pads.

I'll ask someone I know who works for Elektron. He'd know. :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:22 pm

You can assign mulitple parameters to each side of the crossfader at once, so you could morph up to 8 samples at once if you wanted.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:17 pm

I used to hope for the new Electribe Sampler to be such a device, but they totaly botched the sample memory amount is has to the point where I see no value in it anymore :(

Korhan

Post by Korhan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:16 pm

Tarekith, I'd like to have individual controls over each sample. I've downloaded the manual and will see if it allows more independent control over each sample. As it is an instrument designed mainly for beat-based music, I won't be surprised/disappointed if it does not allow this functionality.

TomViolenz, the Electribe series in general look rather disappointing to me. I am not interested in them at all. The Volca Sample is way better than the Electribe Sampler, as far as I can see. With the motion sequences, it can turn into a sample mangling monster.

Korhan

Post by Korhan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:17 pm

I am looking for boutique devices like microgranny, actually. Worst case, I'll get another microgranny, which is truly an amazing instrument, even though it does one thing and it's quite lo-fi.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:56 am

Yeah, the Electribe sampler was a REAL let down, no interest in that one at all myself. Though I do like the synth version.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:47 am

Yeah the synth version is cool. I really like the workflow and the sound and I believe it can be a pretty nice live instrument. Very well thought out.
Much better than the Electron gear IMO.

That's why I had such high hopes for the Sampler version and then they just totally droped the ball by botching the sample memory amount completely.

The Volca Sample looks really fiddly. I don't think I would enjoy playing it.

Korhan

Post by Korhan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:47 am

The Volca Sample is indeed fiddly, but I've found a good way of working with it. Every pattern can have 10 samples. I load up the samples, assign them to tracks, program something I like and then play around with sample start, loop length, pitch, etc in real-time. At the moment, during the experimentation period, I use the knobs on the unit, but later for performance, I will use a MIDI controller. The Volca Sample (or the Keys) are also really good units to sequence with Ableton Live. As you can separate CC sequences and note sequences in Live and send them separately to one unit, you can mix and match parameter automations and note sequences as you like.

The microGranny is MIDI controllable too, so I think I can get some real performance power out of these two units by controlling them with an iPad and/or a QuNeo.

The Electribe synth is pretty much useless for me too, unless it also functions as a good sequencer for other hardware.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:51 am

Korhan wrote:

The Electribe synth is pretty much useless for me too, unless it also functions as a good sequencer for other hardware.
I think it does

Korhan

Post by Korhan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:31 pm

I think I'll wait for Modstep on the iPad before considering hardware sequencer alternatives. On the other hand, I also want to use the iPad as an instrument. Perhaps I'll buy an older iPad for the modstep...

In fact, I am realizing that I don't really need another sample player/processor. The microgranny, the Volca and the iPad is more than enough. I may get another microgranny in the future as it is indeed a unique piece of gear with its own sound.

granted

Post by granted » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:59 pm

Roland SP-404SX

It's quirky but it's inexpensive and runs on batteries.
It the only manual you will read that makes Elektron manuals seem simple.