Why didn't you guys tell me that Falling Skys was back on !!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
regretfullySaid

Re: Why didn't you guys tell me that Falling Skys was back on !!

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:04 pm

That reminds me;I remember when Stargate Atlantis first came out and the chroma keying (i think it was blue screen) was pretty bad. A 20+ year old trick and still didn't go well... Weird. But productions have to manage their budget and maybe sometimes they could've picked a better fx house and sometimes the fx house had tight deadlines...
Just, that aspect wasn't a high priority or managed well by the production manager or they just have to deal with what they got...
ImageImage

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:05 pm

If you want sci fi with a good story, read a fucking book. You're not gonna find a film or TV sci fi series that can even come close. Which is why TV and movies should stick to what they're good at: explosions and boobs.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:42 pm

Alien(s)?

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:44 pm

Alien boobs? Way to make it weird, Erika.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:55 pm

Yea we need more exploding boobs it's my birthright as a merkin

Really we need women soldiers with EEE boobs that shoot different kinds of missiles and laser (which are either blue or red so we know who the bad guys are) and if a boob gets hit it explodes with a bluish green slime that melts off anything it touches. SCI-FI. BOOM. DONE.
ImageImage

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:45 pm

Wasn't that in Starship Troopers?

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:46 pm

Probably. It's a winning formula!
ImageImage

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:49 pm

TomViolenz wrote:It's not that I don't enjoy the occasional space battle on the big screen or the attack of huge robot armies. But these hugely expensive fx fests are the reason that TV (as opposed to cinema) doesn't take on sci-fi themes as much. And I rather take a good sci-fi story, with strings running through the screen pulling paper machee aliens, than no sci-fi at all.

Take Continuum for example. A very well thought out and paced story about a near future world, where since the actually story mostly takes place in the here and now (time travel), it probably didn't cost much more than a regular crime series. But since it was an interesting sci-fi story I enjoyed it much more than I would have enjoyed said crime series.
You raise some good points. I'd totally agree about Continuum - great series. I think the ultimate solution rests somewhere in the middle with a good mix of storyline and some "extra visual sauce" or "something" relative to the genre to give things an extra kick of interest.

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:56 pm

infernal.machine wrote:If you want sci fi with a good story, read a fucking book. You're not gonna find a film or TV sci fi series that can even come close. Which is why TV and movies should stick to what they're good at: explosions and boobs.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:11 pm

shadx312 wrote:Yea we need more exploding boobs it's my birthright as a merkin

Really we need women soldiers with EEE boobs that shoot different kinds of missiles and laser (which are either blue or red so we know who the bad guys are) and if a boob gets hit it explodes with a bluish green slime that melts off anything it touches. SCI-FI. BOOM. DONE.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:32 pm

Hm I'm not quite sure I believe her. I mean, what's her motivation? She's still too wholesome to be truly evil.
ImageImage

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:08 am

shadx312 wrote:Hm I'm not quite sure I believe her. I mean, what's her motivation? She's still too wholesome to be truly evil.
Ditto. I call it corporately manufactured & choreographed inferential boob-play. This chickadee is about as evil and decadent as a bowl of spoon bread. :|

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:20 am

In a better alternate universe Katy Perry would be replaced by Yelle.

The conditioned to tasteless children wouldn't be seeing big candy carnival tits but they'd be listening to much better shit. Keep all the scenery it's not like that isn't half of why they like it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RybNI0KB1bg
ImageImage

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:36 am

books are the best medium for sci-fi which is why falling skies is great, it's like a book on tv, it's not about footage of mechwarriors. think of it as a more subtle palette and having a history teacher as the leader of the rebellion was a masterful stroke of genius, of course you would want a history teacher to be the leader if the story was truly about learning from history. falling skies is on a different level than lets say Serenity, it's much more introspective of the human race as a whole.
Last edited by starving student on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:37 am

Am I gonna have to check it out? I really don't need distractions right now.

What if I was more just listening to it?
ImageImage