Subpac chair back woofer for home and road production

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
D3VOUR

Re: Subpac chair back woofer for home and road production

Post by D3VOUR » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:29 pm

I just pulled the trigger on one of these too. Seems interesting.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:45 pm

Beats, did you go for the chair or the backpack?

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:37 pm

Pitch Black wrote:Beats, did you go for the chair or the backpack?
I went for the chair. Although the backpack intrigues me.

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:21 am

I have one of these for home. SUPER HAPPY WITH IT. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. :)

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:23 am

Steve, back or chair? I'm interested in this but I reckon I'd want to dance around with my headphones on... so I'm leaning toward the backpack.

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:16 am

I have the version 1 chair. I have no comparison for backpack. I think it has a battery, which might be cool.

I think the idea of a backpack sounds fun... but is not really practical because it's so intense. I use this device for short periods just to for checking the sub bass in the mix, once that's good, I'll turn it off. Also, its nice to just lean away from it for a moment without touching the dials to get a break, or jump up and run after the cat without wires attached. But really, not good for long periods of mix checking because A) get desensitized to the effects and B) is EXHAUSTING to be bumped around so much. It's like going on a long car ride in a non-luxury car.

But yeah, nice to be able to instantly disengage from the sub mix (by leaning forward) and not using hands to do it. I saw a interview with David Starfire (thanks to Vespers and Warp Academy) where he talks about having his subs set up to footswitches, so he can turn them on and off without interrupting the hands flow.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:07 pm

Yeah my main concern with the backpack version would be walking away and yanking wires out.

Contacted support about my order status and it turns out my emails from them were going to my spam folder, well the one notice informing me my account was setup. It’s still in processing status and I guess I’ll get an email when it ships.

I’ve read some complaints about hiss when you run your headphones through the subpac and its best to use an interface that has 2 headphone outs (which I don’t have). So I’m curious what that is going to be like. Not much chatter about the Bluetooth capabilities so I’m curious about that implementation too. Mostly it just gets mentioned in relation to syncing the backpack version to your cell phone or tablet, not so much in a production setting.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:48 pm

I don't use the headphone output on the device. I use the babyface 2nd (shared) headphone out to send to subpac. Monitor through babyface headphone out. Sounds better.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:02 pm

I use an NI Audio 6 interface and honestly am not sure what the routing options are. I only use it as a stereo out to my monitors and a headphone out. I rarely record external sounds. I love the big volume knob on top. I’m going to be somewhat annoyed if I have to drop $600+ on an interface just to get this to work properly.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:40 pm

I just got a “it hasn’t shipped yet but will within the next 3 weeks!” notice. :) :| I assume that is somehow auto-triggered from order date. No big deal though. I know they are a small company and don’t have mass production capabilities.

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:13 am

I hope it works for you.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:52 pm

If my interface can’t route to the subpac without plugging my headphones directly into the subpac would it be better to get a headphone splitter cable or a headphone amplifier with multiple outputs? Or will either work fine?

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:37 am

I've got the audio 6 and use a headphone splitter with mine. There is a hiss when plugging headphones in directly but when playing audio its not really noticeable.

The cable snagged on my x0xb0x that I spent 4 nights making thus breaking the decay pot when it his the floor. Oh well, easy fixed.

The subpac makes more noise than I expected so its kind of hard to monitor with near fields at a low volume. In fact its pretty much impossible. With headphones though its fucking excellent though. Its a little districting if your just starting with an idea, beat, bass line etc but once you have a few elements going its great.

Don't be too surprised by a delay in your unit shipping though!

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:10 pm

Cool. Thanks for the response. I imagine ideally you’d want easy access to adjusting 3 volumes: monitors, headphones, and subpac so you could quickly dial in whatever the situation is. When you are just coming up with parts you probably don’t need the subpac but as things start taking shape you could bring it up to make sure the lows are gelling but you don’t need it as a constant.

D3VOUR

Post by D3VOUR » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:26 pm

Got my S2 today from a reseller. It did not come with the strap for the interface (to connect it to the chair's arm). Reached out to their support, but we shall see.

Other than that it is pretty sweet.