M4L Stability

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
mrdelurk

Re: M4L Stability

Post by mrdelurk » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:39 pm

Max 7 crashes less, the patch I looked at works only with Max 6... the old Max makes Live 9 limp, the new Max makes Live 8 limp...
There ought to be a handier way to extend a DAW with Java.

[Edit: And bingo, there is: http://jvstwrapper.sourceforge.net/ ]

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:31 pm

mrdelurk wrote:Max 7 crashes less, the patch I looked at works only with Max 6... the old Max makes Live 9 limp, the new Max makes Live 8 limp...
There ought to be a handier way to extend a DAW with Java.

[Edit: And bingo, there is: http://jvstwrapper.sourceforge.net/ ]
Actually, Max isn't Java-based nor does it rely on Java per se, though you can use Java components inside a Max Device. The (unlisted) requirements that are there are there nevertheless because of this possibility. Maybe with Max 7 at least there can be some changes to make Java optional with Max at some point. The development team are to my knowledge aware of the issues.
Make some music!

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:19 pm

Stromkraft wrote:Actually, Max isn't Java-based nor does it rely on Java per se, though you can use Java components inside a Max Device.
You are right, I see this now. Maybe I should have said, "there ought to be a handier way to extend a DAW with user code."
All I wanted was a simple way (my own) to convert a streaming DJIA Stock ticker into 44.1 khz audio for Live, and here I go, learning Eclipse Java for that. (Because it seems still more doable than dealing with this whole Max 6/7 vs Live 8/9 mess, creating some patch that again won't work with the next Max or Live...)

cpnet

Post by cpnet » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:53 am

I updated to Live 9.2.3 and Max 7.0.6 (both x64), and so far it seems like the problems may be fixed!!!

I haven't done hours of testing, but a project that would reliably crash Ableton 95% of the time now seems to open without issue. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but so far, so good. :)

cpnet

Post by cpnet » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:21 pm

I just ran the 9.5 Ableton update (x64) and tried to re-open my test project (the one with a few M4L devices that had been reliably crashing Ableton). For my first test, I tried to open it after the 9.5 update, but before rebooting my PC (the 9.5 update didn't say I needed a reboot). My system memory usage when up to ~32 GB (I have 32 GB of RAM) and Ableton eventually crashed. I then tried a reboot, and the test project opened fine. Next I ran the Maschine 2.4 update, tried another reboot, and tried opening the test project yet again. It worked once more.

Hopefully my initial hiccup was just a result of me not rebooting my PC after the 9.5 update before testing. So far, 9.5 looks like it's working.

Quez

Post by Quez » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:07 am

I haven't been able to use Max 7 at all, with the 9.5 update it crashed on start-up again.

I have many M4Live devices for controlling Reason in my default set.

Just tried with the new Max update, still doesn't work. Going back to 6.1 again :cry:

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:10 am

Quez wrote: Going back to 6.1 again :cry:
You can use 6.1.10 with Live 9.5? I'd assume not, at least if you want to use the latest pack releases.
Make some music!

kleine

Post by kleine » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:10 pm

Quez wrote:I haven't been able to use Max 7 at all, with the 9.5 update it crashed on start-up again.

I have many M4Live devices for controlling Reason in my default set.

Just tried with the new Max update, still doesn't work. Going back to 6.1 again :cry:
I've seen issues when having older M4L devices in a template set, so you might try to start from a blank template (hold down shift while ableton launches, i believe)