So, who's ready for Windows 10?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

So, who's ready for Windows 10?

Post by sporkles » Thu May 14, 2015 9:18 am

Any PC users who are itching to take the plunge? Considering upgrading will (most likely) be free and all... I absolutely loathe W8, but it seems like they've addressed the most egregious annoyances in 10. I'm sure some of you have already taken 10 for a spin, so what's the verdict?

Also, does anyone know if upgrading (from 7, in my case) will be (almost) as simple as installing a service pack, or would you have to install all your apps and stuff all over? I'm a little concerned that my oldest controllers (particularly my Axiom) might not work in 10.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindow ... -editions/

Stromkraft

Re: So, who's ready for Windows 10?

Post by Stromkraft » Thu May 14, 2015 10:59 am

sporkles wrote:Any PC users who are itching to take the plunge? Considering upgrading will (most likely) be free and all... I absolutely loathe W8, but it seems like they've addressed the most egregious annoyances in 10. I'm sure some of you have already taken 10 for a spin, so what's the verdict?

Also, does anyone know if upgrading (from 7, in my case) will be (almost) as simple as installing a service pack, or would you have to install all your apps and stuff all over? I'm a little concerned that my oldest controllers (particularly my Axiom) might not work in 10.

You mean Windows 6.4? :-)
"Technically, modern versions of Windows are still based on the Vista kernel and code base — including Windows 10, which is actually Windows 6.4."
Why is it called Windows 10 and not Windows 9? (ExtremeTech)
Make some music!

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Thu May 14, 2015 1:34 pm

[quote="sporkles"]Also, does anyone know if upgrading (from 7, in my case) will be (almost) as simple as installing a service pack, or would you have to install all your apps and stuff all over?

It's likely to be something like this.
Garry Knight

mrobare

Post by mrobare » Thu May 14, 2015 2:00 pm

i have windows 10 on all 3 of my pc's
seems to works fine so far no problems
the install was easy and it keep my old programs
i went from win 7 64 bit to win 10 64 bit

i like it

devobtch
Windows 7 64bit I7 970 3.2 Ghz
12 GB 8 TB storage ASUS 6970 video card
ASUS Rampage Extreme motherboard
Ableton Live 9 Suite Komplete 7 Mach 5 3
Garritan Jazz and Big Band FL Studio and numerous
FL plugins Ozone 5, Autotune 7 Gibson SG
Fender Strat APC 40

JDFS

Post by JDFS » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:17 pm

My body is ready.

mmorgan

Post by mmorgan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:14 pm

I installed yesterday on my secondary machine. Was surprised at how smooth the installation went though it did seem to take quite a bit of time. Was very surprised that my custom menu system that I embed in the taskbar made it through...pleasantly surprised. So far no issues on the audio side of things but this is my secondary machine (a well equipped laptop). I did have to fiddle with my sound card (Focusright 2i2)and the control panel a bit.

As for the new version itself: I'm seeing better performance so far. I think Microsoft got the interface right this time, although I've been using 8.1 on both computers with mild success so I wasn't one of the ones who hated Win 8 to start (I did, and do, in a general sense, dislike any and all Metro apps).

I will continue to test for a month or so, await the first patch to come through, check drivers for all external gear and just generally go slow when it comes to installing on my primary DAW. I used to be an 'early adopter' for most technology but these days I have too much to lose if an install went south on me.

Overall (so far): :o :D
Michael Morgan | pearl hour project
Intel i7-2600 @3.4GHz; 16G Ram; Win 10-64; Live 9.5
RME-Fireface UFX; Machine II; APC40; MPK25;
Guitars and Amps

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:48 pm

Stromkraft wrote:Why is it called Windows 10 and not Windows 9?
Because 10 is better than 9 and Apple is still on OS X and windows doesn't want to feel inferior by being 1 behind Apple all the time... Hence Windows 10, now they are equal.

So how's the audio latency on standard Windows drivers these days?
I bought a windows computer recently just to try it again and I ended up trading for a MacBook Pro.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:32 pm

Audio drivers in win 10 are terrible I only get crackle as if the CPU is overloaded unless I use 528 samples and If I do that there is a massive delay. Creative X-FI Titanium ASIO is fine at 512 samples no noticeable delay.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:37 pm

This was so excitedly anticipated that Ableton didn’t even bother to make a compatibility thread. :|

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:16 pm

I upgraded the other day and haven't had any major issues with the the OS itself. Ableton had some weird database error where all of my sounds, effects etc... were gone, but a reboot fixed it. That was a scary few minutes though. I seem to be using about 800mb more ram with nothing open vs 7 which is strange as its supposed to be more efficient. The new Edge browser is very fast, I don't think I will be using Chrome anymore. Edge seems to use about half the Ram that Chrome uses. I haven't messed with onboard audio yet but things seem to working fine with my Presonus gear. All in all I'm very happy with the upgrade and you cant beat the price!

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:13 am

Stromkraft wrote:
sporkles wrote:Any PC users who are itching to take the plunge? Considering upgrading will (most likely) be free and all... I absolutely loathe W8, but it seems like they've addressed the most egregious annoyances in 10. I'm sure some of you have already taken 10 for a spin, so what's the verdict?

You mean Windows 6.4? :-)
"Technically, modern versions of Windows are still based on the Vista kernel and code base — including Windows 10, which is actually Windows 6.4."
Why is it called Windows 10 and not Windows 9? (ExtremeTech)

it's called windows 10 because windows ate 9 - apparently

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:55 am

I think you mean seven ate nine.

It's actually because old, badly-written software, looking for Windows 95 and 98, only bothers to look for the 9 and that could cause costly mistakes.
Garry Knight

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:39 am

but in reality the marketing people wanted to go out with the last big release of windose ever being 10 and just skip 9.

then some nerd came up with this preposterous ate 9 gibberish.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:21 am

I have Win10 running on 4 computers. Three went with no issues, but my main had a couple of issues before everything worked out. (2 from Win 7, 1 from 8.1, and my main from Win 7 x64 Pro)

1. Seemed to me like having a flash drive in a USB port (especially iLok) prevented completion. Pulling everything out resolved the problem.

2. When I first signed in, all the documents in my Document folder were read-only, and I couldn't correct it even though I am an administrator. I think it can be resolved by accessing files from the "This PC" -> Documents.

The problem seems to be resolved now (since late last night), and I'm not exactly why, but I immediately made a backup disk image and a restore point now that everything is working.

3. My normal audio interface (Boss GT-001) does not support Win 10 (yet), and Focusrites needed updates (2i2 and 18i8) Many other devices are not supported yet, and Roland is not going to support legacy equipment...

http://www.roland.com/support/support_news/250010
http://www.roland.com/support/support_news/250024

Other than that, Live and Maschine seem to be working OK....

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:01 am

It's already far ahead than mobile phone company called apple...
https://www.namm.org/nammu/special-a3e- ... sing-power