Help fix the scroll bug in mixer window by reproducing it

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

Have you experienced the autoscrolling mixer window bug?

Yes, I have experienced it
83%
No, I have not experienced this bug
17%

Total votes: 6

Stromkraft

Help fix the scroll bug in mixer window by reproducing it

Post by Stromkraft » Tue May 26, 2015 9:27 pm

Bug to fix
One long standing bug in Live 9, that I experienced again the other day and that I'm talking to Ableton support about after having supplied a status report to them, is the auto-scrolling mixer window that keep scrolling back to either side.

You can watch a video illustrating the symptoms of this auto-scrolling bug
Live-scroll-bug (FastSWF.com)

Please assist in finding out how to reproduce the issue
Support are saying they are aware of the issue but that they can't recreate it their end. That may very well be the case cause I can't identify the steps to recreate it. I'm turning to our collective experience of this and am asking for your help in creating a test case Ableton can use to fix this issue. Please share your experiences and observations with this one.

Bug Description:
Sometimes the mixer window has an irritating bug as illustrated in the video link above. The mixer window will scroll back to either side after you have commenced scrolling to the other direction.

Likely bug causes and steps to reproduce:
These are largely unknown but member Skimo has observed
"I think I've managed to verify that this occurs when you drag a new device (be it a live device or a VST or even a sample/wav) across the arrangement view/session view.. Live kicks in its automated scrolling so that the user can scroll to the point where they want to drop it.. Only sometimes you're not aiming to drop it in the arrangement view or the session view (but instead in the device chain for example) - it carries on the trend because I think it somehow loses track of where the cursor was at the last point.

My workaround above works to resolve in each case that this happens (or has done for me anyway) and I think the scrollbar is the 'if object is past this point, stop scrolling' trigger, I reckon we're perhaps flicking the mouse over the scrollbar too quickly for it to realise that we've done so, thus spawning the auto scroll bug."
Member Skimo sep 24 2014 in Horizontal Scrolling in session view, live 9 Bug??

Bug solutions and workarounds:
It seems that in multiple cases you can fix the issue somewhat reliably without restarting by dragging another plug-in or built-in effect or device on top of the scrollbar. While still holding it on the scrollbar, cancel the action, by escape or just dragging it back.
Make some music!

Eularian

Re: Help fix the scroll bug in mixer window by reproducing it

Post by Eularian » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Hello,

My scrolling issue happens in the arrangement/session main window. I can scroll at regular, or expected, speeds everywhere within Live no problem. During playback the playhead moves as expected. However when I enable follow mode, the meters start moving horrendously slow, the CPU jumps up by another 40%, etc. I don't get it, it didn't always used to do this. I'm not using any more plugins then I have in the past, IE., it happens even with no plug-ins loaded. Like I said, this happened after an update, but I can't pinpoint exactly where or what caused it. Any suggestions? Maybe I accidentally enabled a feature I didn't mean to?

Mac OS X 10.4
i7 4x 2.7 HT
8GB RAM

Nothing is being taxed in activity monitor and Live's cpu usage never goes past 20%

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:20 pm

While I never found a reliable way to reproduce this issue in my Live, potentially this has been fixed in 9.2.1b1, which is a release now.
"Auto-scrolling in session view could get stuck after releasing the mouse, when dragging a device across the splitter between browser and session view"
https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... ase-notes/ (Second bullet point)

Time will tell if this means the auto-scroll bug is gone or if other triggers might cause this or similar behavior to reappear.

Thanks to everyone communicating your experiences to Ableton! Thanks to Ableton for listening and (potentially) fixing this issue.
Make some music!

Eularian

Post by Eularian » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:28 pm

I can reproduce the issue every time I open Live lol, and it's horribly annoying. I'll try downloading the Beta later this week and let you know what I find. I'm also wondering if including some sort of screen video capture would help? I find it strange that the audio has no ill effects from this, just a scrolling issue within the main window.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:40 pm

Eularian wrote:I can reproduce the issue every time I open Live lol, and it's horribly annoying. I'll try downloading the Beta later this week and let you know what I find. I'm also wondering if including some sort of screen video capture would help? I find it strange that the audio has no ill effects from this, just a scrolling issue within the main window.
Yes, I know it would help the Ableton Bug Team with a video showing how to reproduce. I sent the video above displaying the bug to Ableton, but I never could record how I triggered it as the cause seemed quite arbitrary. I know that for me using "undo" and redoing the latest action didn't retrigger it.

Please share your steps or a video if you find you can reproduce this annoying bug in the latest release or beta. I'll make sure to try those steps in both Windows and in OS X.
Make some music!

Eularian

Post by Eularian » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:32 pm

I'll see if I can do this in the next few days. I did want to mention that for me it is how Live operates any time that is open, and nothing 'causes' it. I'll open Live and then the scrolling thing happens. It is just the way that it is now and it's super annoying.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:55 pm

Eularian wrote:I'll see if I can do this in the next few days. I did want to mention that for me it is how Live operates any time that is open, and nothing 'causes' it. I'll open Live and then the scrolling thing happens. It is just the way that it is now and it's super annoying.
Thanks Eularian. Keep us posted.

I haven't encountered this issue since 9.2 Release.
Make some music!

Sureno

Post by Sureno » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:20 am

Thought I’d resurrect as I’m getting this in 10.0.2
On OS X 10.11

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:37 am

Sureno wrote:Thought I’d resurrect as I’m getting this in 10.0.2
On OS X 10.11
Thanks Sureno. I've encountered this once recently in 10.0.2. I have no idea what I did to provoke it.
Make some music!

hydrogen

Post by hydrogen » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:57 am

This still continues to happen to me.

Kryptune

Post by Kryptune » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:10 pm

This wrong behaviour just appeared to me again in Live 10.0.6

Creating a new channel by dragging and dropping an instrument and deleting the new created channel helped.

Also sometimes it´s impossible to create a new channel like this. Then Live is constantly telling me I can't drop instruments (on empty space in mixer).

I have no Idea how to reproduce these issues.

I´m going to update to most recent version and keep observing...