Metal sub genre lolz

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Metal sub genre lolz

Post by beats me » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:48 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aHI09XyuFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pH6yQR04UY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCVPC8Qlq7A

For my money it just doesn't get much better than Progressive Narrative Djent Core or Dino Death Crushdown. :)
Last edited by beats me on Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nathannn

Re: Sub genre overkill, not just an EDM problem

Post by nathannn » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:01 am

Reminds me that I need to put my impulse buy Ibanez rg8 on ebay.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:33 am

Well EDM - as the word is used these days - doesn't have that problem... it just lumps everything into one mainstream "EDM" category :wink:

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:01 am

I've never understood the purpose of dividing music into genres.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:24 am

crumhorn wrote:I've never understood the purpose of dividing music into genres.
Oh, that's simple. It prevents you from accidentaly listing to something that is not the new cool.

Also it makes conversations about music at hip parties longer, since name dropping is usually the full extend of these conversations.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:50 pm

If you are looking for new music that resembles Miles Davis or Louis Armstrong for example, wouldn't it be beneficial to have a "Jazz" category in the music store, or website, or wherever to go through in your search for similar sounds, rather than have to go through the catalog A-Z of all the artists of the entire store, website, etc - finding the "jazz" sound you want maybe only every 100-1000 plays?

beats me

Re: Metal sub genre lolz

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:57 pm

Thread title changed. I had a choice to make and it appears I originally went with the wrong one.

Going with the other choice now which I figured would have originally gotten the thread completely ignore.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:20 pm

Lol, btw Lose Your Voice-Core is pretty cool haha

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:26 pm

Really?

I mean, we do it with everything. Music, visual art, movies, food, clothes, architecture and on and on.

With music it probably started with the differentiation of sacred and secular music.
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:32 am

Da hand wrote:Lol, btw Lose Your Voice-Core is pretty cool haha
:)

I thought it reached the point where clearly nobody is watching the videos which was the actual point of the thread.

Here's another great vid from the same guy on how to hold the mic on stage for noobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NLw-BIsNMs

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:30 am

stringtapper wrote:
Really?

I mean, we do it with everything. Music, visual art, movies, food, clothes, architecture and on and on.

With music it probably started with the differentiation of sacred and secular music.
I was going to say "what about tribal?", but that fits on a tribal level as well.
Witch Doctor music and songs about wine and women, or sometimes war. Basically not much has changed topic wise. :twisted:

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:00 am

beats me wrote:
Here's another great vid from the same guy on how to hold the mic on stage for noobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NLw-BIsNMs
Oh man, that was hilarious hahaha

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:00 am

Da hand wrote:
If you are looking for new music that resembles Miles Davis or Louis Armstrong for example, wouldn't it be beneficial to have a "Jazz" category in the music store, or website, or wherever to go through in your search for similar sounds, rather than have to go through the catalog A-Z of all the artists of the entire store, website, etc - finding the "jazz" sound you want maybe only every 100-1000 plays?
But imagine all the great music you would discover in the process. And if you did limit yourself to the jazz section you won't find anybody else that sounds like Miles Davis or Louis Armstrong. The best way to find closely related music is to do some research into their contemporaries and collaborators. I can't recall ever having bought any music based purely on it's genre label.

normally when I come across some new music that I like I do some research into the artist and his contemporaries, who else played on it, what else have they done, etc. Sometimes I'll buy a record based solely on the mix of instruments being played, I've discovered some great music that way and opened up whole new realms of music by following up on the sleeve notes.

Also I'm being deliberately contentious. Genres can do harm as well as good.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:05 am

crumhorn wrote:But imagine all the great music you would discover in the process. And if you did limit yourself to the jazz section you won't find anybody else that sounds like Miles Davis or Louis Armstrong. The best way to find closely related music is to do some research into their contemporaries and collaborators. I can't recall ever having bought any music based purely on it's genre label.

normally when I come across some new music that I like I do some research into the artist and his contemporaries, who else played on it, what else have they done, etc. Sometimes I'll buy a record based solely on the mix of instruments being played, I've discovered some great music that way and opened up whole new realms of music by following up on the sleeve notes.

Also I'm being deliberately contentious. Genres can do harm as well as good.
Ok, I admit that my first reaction was what I wrote, but you definitely caught me with your response.... you are right, what you describe is one of the ways I personally very often search for new music. When I want to discover new artists, I go to an online store(s) and go through the catalogs of artists I know already and like and see what remixes or collaborations they did with other artists and then search through those artists' catalogs and then repeat for songs I like by these new artists. That often leads me to discover very cool things in a kind of random way.

So now I am actually wondering myself what genres are good for - except for just a good all-round feeling of having things categorized and for topics of debate on music at parties lol.