Advice to mastering with ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
karmaloop

Advice to mastering with ableton

Post by karmaloop » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:27 pm

Hi guys!
My First Post here i need some advice bout how to Master properly w
Ableton and if im doing IT correctly. So basicly when my Mix is firm
I adjust the volume untill everything Sounds good or i equallize everything
Individually and here is my first question? Do I have to Put now on every Single
Instrument a compressor? I usualy use the tdr kott. Then i look if all The fx and
Automations Sound good and go to th last steps. I Put a multiband dynamics on Master channel
Make three chains Put every Single chain (high/mid/low) on solo then i Make the low chain
To mono high a Bit to Stereo and Limit the low to a good dB reduct compress IT then again out.
Also a eq on all three and Limit then eq Master and Limit a Bit out till the Mix Sounds to a right volume.
So is This proper mastering?? if Not what am i doing wrong? Did i forgot something? Pls help me i have noone Who could
Give me some advice! Karma Loop on soundcloud if you want to you can Listen to IT and Tell Me how can i improove thx.:)

Tarekith

Re: Advice to mastering with ableton

Post by Tarekith » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:32 pm

Sounds way too complicated to me. :D

Make the mix sound good using the least amount of processing available, then use a limiter to get the volume where you want it. Enjoy a beer with your free time :)

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:04 pm

Man, that does sound way complicated!

I guess it's whatever floats your boat and gets the mix to sound good!

Exactly what Terekith said.

1. Mix the entire track: volumes, EQ (on each individual track or group), compressors - whatever you want. That's the focus. Make sure you've got some headroom left on the master. If you get this part down, you really won't have to do a huge amount of work on mastering.
2. Once you're happy with the overall mix, render it to audio. Why? When you're mastering you're focusing on mastering the overall track and won't be tempted to go back in and tinker with individual tracks!
3. Re-import audio to Ableton and apply whatever you need - maybe some compression/limiting to get your level up. Maybe some EQ to shape the overall mix. I think if you go crazy here you'll ruin all the hard work you did in step one.

CFM

Post by CFM » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:28 pm

Compressors on every instrument track seems a little over the top!

It depends however on what you are going to finally do with it. As you can put mastering on the 'Master' live. RA Master rack is a good cheap solution although you may have to play with some of the settings.

If you have a little more cash to spend I use a Waves compressor or the Waves L1+ Ultramaximizer this pumps the master up to 0db.

If I however was going to use something like LANDR or external master solution then I'd leave the overall mix at -6db.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:17 pm

Don't master your own stuff. Balance a great mix, and make it so great that all that's left for the mastering (or pre-mastering) engineer to do is to tighten some bolts, bolts you could never see due to your emotional investment. And I beg you not to use LANDR or any automastering. !!!!!

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

and, random expletives.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:10 am

robplant wrote:OP, if you decide to have your mastering completed elsewhere, check out LANDR. :-)

https://www.landr.com/en
tedlogan wrote: And I beg you not to use LANDR or any automastering. !!!!!

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

and, random expletives.
:wink:

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:57 pm

karmaloop wrote:Hi guys!
My First Post here i need some advice bout how to Master properly w
Ableton and if im doing IT correctly. So basicly when my Mix is firm
I adjust the volume untill everything Sounds good or i equallize everything
Individually and here is my first question? Do I have to Put now on every Single
Instrument a compressor? I usualy use the tdr kott. Then i look if all The fx and
Automations Sound good and go to th last steps. I Put a multiband dynamics on Master channel
Make three chains Put every Single chain (high/mid/low) on solo then i Make the low chain
To mono high a Bit to Stereo and Limit the low to a good dB reduct compress IT then again out.
Also a eq on all three and Limit then eq Master and Limit a Bit out till the Mix Sounds to a right volume.

evilevilevil? 8O

CFM

Post by CFM » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:41 pm

:lol: