Does iZotope need to be bought by a bigger company?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stringtapper

Re: Does iZotope need to be bought by a bigger company?

Post by stringtapper » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:26 pm

LFO8 wrote:I'm waiting for the BIG sale to finally pick up RX4 Advanced (the basic RX4 misses some important features imo) but boy.. is that a huge price... even on sale. The diff in price between RX4 and RX4 Advanced is huge..
I upgraded to Advanced 4 last year during one of the sales. Crazy price even on a sale, but the things that software can do are like black magic and I can't do without it.

The other thing to consider about iZotope is that they seem to have their tech licensed to a lot of third parties.
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:45 pm

Had to check what RX4 is. That’s one SERIOUS BUSINESS plug-in that most home producers will probably never need which probably partially explains the price, other than quality. If you need something like that then you are probably making some money from music and not just dicking around on weekends making bangers.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:43 pm

beats me wrote:Had to check what RX4 is. That’s one SERIOUS BUSINESS plug-in that most home producers will probably never need which probably partially explains the price, other than quality. If you need something like that then you are probably making some money from music and not just dicking around on weekends making bangers.
It's a standalone app! :x :x :x

…that has plug-in versions of some of its modules included. :P

But no, I don't think of RX as a tool that any music producer, bedroom or otherwise, would really need. There are some creative things you can do with it like sculpting sounds, but they packaged that part of the RX engine into a music app when they created Iris.

I would guess it's mostly used by audio professionals in film and TV to clean up recorded dialog. I use it mostly for restoring old sound archives that I transfer in my studio gig.
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:12 pm

I didn’t realize its standalone. :x

Generally speaking if there is something music related that can’t be done within a DAW then it’s way over my head and skillset. I still don't know WTF an audio editor is or why you would even need it. :x

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:38 pm

8O
Unsound Designer

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:03 pm

stringtapper wrote:I really hope not.

I use RX daily for audio restoration work and I don't know of anything that matches its features in that price range.

Iris is a great sound design tool too.
Iris is damn expensive though - when everything else is becoming free.....

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:36 pm

ian_halsall wrote:
stringtapper wrote:I really hope not.

I use RX daily for audio restoration work and I don't know of anything that matches its features in that price range.

Iris is a great sound design tool too.
Iris is damn expensive though - when everything else is becoming free.....
:?

"All the other" visual-based spectral filtering samplers are becoming free?
Unsound Designer

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:07 am

isn't everything becoming free? isn't this the new economics?

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:57 pm

Almost all my production is done with software instruments. Unless I’m missing something it seems like a lot of these outside the DAW-box options are geared towards live audio recording/cleanup. Anything out there that would benefit my inside the box tendencies?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:18 pm

beats me wrote:Almost all my production is done with software instruments. Unless I’m missing something it seems like a lot of these outside the DAW-box options are geared towards live audio recording/cleanup. Anything out there that would benefit my inside the box tendencies?
You can do some crazy stuff with RX if you're creative with it. I mostly use it for restoring digital transfers of old recordings for my day gig and for removing noise from live stereo recordings I make (usually classical or jazz performances).

When I do use it creatively it's about doing things like isolating the spectra of individual sounds within a fuller recording in order to extract them. A lot of that kind of work has shifted over to Iris though. Iris is basically the spectral manipulation engine from RX that they slapped inside of a sampler.
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:48 pm

stringtapper wrote:
beats me wrote:When I do use it creatively it's about doing things like isolating the spectra of individual sounds within a fuller recording in order to extract them. A lot of that kind of work has shifted over to Iris though. Iris is basically the spectral manipulation engine from RX that they slapped inside of a sampler.

Any vids out there of what you are talking about?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:59 am

beats me wrote:
stringtapper wrote:
beats me wrote:When I do use it creatively it's about doing things like isolating the spectra of individual sounds within a fuller recording in order to extract them. A lot of that kind of work has shifted over to Iris though. Iris is basically the spectral manipulation engine from RX that they slapped inside of a sampler.

Any vids out there of what you are talking about?
Sorry, I wouldn't know. I've mostly come up with a few techniques through experimentation.

If you're interested in it that kind of thing then check out Iris. It will probably be more familiar to you out of the box in terms of workflow as it has a lot of the things that many VSTs have, but with the added spectral interface from RX.
Unsound Designer

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:53 am

izotope are licensing their RX technology to other developers. So they might be fine.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:24 am

pencilrocket wrote:izotope are licensing their RX technology to other developers. So they might be fine.
Yeah I made that point on the previous page.

I guess Windows only lets you look at even numbered pages…?
Unsound Designer