Madeon's Ableton Setup

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RFC3

Madeon's Ableton Setup

Post by RFC3 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:50 am

So in recent weeks I've been captivated by the Live Mixing style Madeon as he uses Launchpads for his mixing. I'm not talking about Pop Culture I'm referring to these videos here:

https://youtu.be/leq45VVcP6A

https://youtu.be/nOuwQP2Smos

And then this chap figured out how to copy his setup:

https://youtu.be/dXLVJX7SE88

Anyways can anyone help explain what they are doing to mix so efficiently like this? Also why is Madeon launching 2 clips at once on the Launchpad when all we're hearing is one song the majority of the time. Also how does he filter through clips so fast (how is he changing the launchpad configuration without touching a computer). If you could answer these questions it would be a big help. Thanks

TomViolenz

Re: Madeon's Ableton Setup

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:28 am

Ugh, horrible music 8O

Anyways, I don't see him changing the Launchpads configuration. One he uses for track triggering and the other for one shots, possibly triggered with NoteRepeat.

As to why two tracks. I assume he has a prearranged track selection, with pairs of two that he fades between occasionally on the K2.
Most of the action takes place on the K2 anyways, but how he's mapped that is hard to see, with the screen never in focus. Obviously he filters between both tracks somehow. Probably DJ style 12 o'clock filters on both tracks.

As far as I can tell that set up is anything but special.
I think it's much better to come up with your own scheme to interact with your music anyways, (or other peoples tracks) than to simply copy others. Especially if these others do something as bare bones as that anyways.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:46 pm

I liked Madeon’s earlier work but was disappointed in his full album, sounds just like every other Calvin Harris/Zed/David Guetta wannabe. Madeon lost what made him original and interesting, but I guess that’s what happens when the major music industry takes somebody young under their wing.

As far as performance a lot of it is fakery. There’s absolutely no reason for that much controller movement to be going on with what is happening musically. It’s a common affliction of the electronica performer.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:09 pm

The few things I noticed:
The LP on his right hand is mapped to fx. Left-most row of lit pads on his right-hand LP are 'dry', and when he pressed any pad to the right of those it uses an effect (he usually uses beat repeat type stuff), and the pads stay lit accordingly.

Not sure what the story is with the double tracks (maybe grouped?? couldn't tell), but he's definitely using follow actions, which explains the blinking.

One thing which really got me curious is how on the mixer controller he is using the Ableton Live browser. Maybe he is loading whole channels which contain the whole track and then has a delete button. But I definitely saw him in a vid moving a dial which moved the highlight up and down in the browser, after hitting the 'jump into browser' button.

From what I'm seeing, most of his moves look justified, he makes up for any which aren't by just really being into the songs and moving a lot haha

Not my kinda music but he seems to be enjoying himself :)

Edit: but yeah, within the first minute, he appears to be 'fake adjusting' dials, but it may just be him trying to bring that vocal sound up. Then at about the :57 mark you see the green button on his controller as the cam zooms in and his browser is digging around.

Btw, quick question. Do you guys feel there is a notable advantage to usually tapping/nudging a fader or dial as opposed to grabbing it and smoothly pushing it? I've observed varying degrees extremity of this habit of the tapping, and am wondering if there are explicit intentions, or if it just develops over time. Like, let's say you are bringing a pad in over a complex rhythm. If you slowly fade it, you're kinda committing to the 'arch' which you're portraying over time. By giving it gradual nudges, you can regulate it in smaller increments And it gives it a little dynamic to go with the rhythm.

I've mostly just gotten extra curious about it from watching Jeff Mills doing some mixing. Then realized I've seen it in other places, and even sometimes do it myself unknowingly.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:45 pm

RFC3 wrote:So in recent weeks I've been captivated by the Live Mixing style Madeon as he uses Launchpads for his mixing. I'm not talking about Pop Culture I'm referring to these videos here:

https://youtu.be/leq45VVcP6A

https://youtu.be/nOuwQP2Smos

And then this chap figured out how to copy his setup:

https://youtu.be/dXLVJX7SE88

Anyways can anyone help explain what they are doing to mix so efficiently like this? Also why is Madeon launching 2 clips at once on the Launchpad when all we're hearing is one song the majority of the time. Also how does he filter through clips so fast (how is he changing the launchpad configuration without touching a computer). If you could answer these questions it would be a big help. Thanks
Keep in mind videos are for visual appeal. Basically looks can be deceiving.

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:34 pm

yur2die4 wrote:...
One thing which really got me curious is how on the mixer controller he is using the Ableton Live browser. Maybe he is loading whole channels which contain the whole track and then has a delete button. But I definitely saw him in a vid moving a dial which moved the highlight up and down in the browser, after hitting the 'jump into browser' button. ..
I'm very interested in that too! Where did you see it?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:38 pm

About a minute into the second vid

RFC3

Post by RFC3 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:03 pm

yur2die4 wrote:About a minute into the second vid
I believe he's using a program called "Bome". I guess it's a midi translator or something like that. I've been doing some research today on others who have broken the process down. Thanks for all your responses so far

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:58 pm

RFC3 wrote:
yur2die4 wrote:About a minute into the second vid
I believe he's using a program called "Bome". I guess it's a midi translator or something like that. I've been doing some research today on others who have broken the process down. Thanks for all your responses so far
Very cool. This is what i was looking for. I use a similar program to rebind keys in windows. :)

dna598

Post by dna598 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:19 am

The whole "live" electronic music with machines thing is a farce. Air guitar is more credible and certainly more visually appealing imo.

I say that as long time fan and producer of said music, that would not take live-live again, EVER.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:21 am

Well. He's just djing (mixing, filtering, cueing).

Yeah, it's not like he is magically creating a song from scratch,

But it's better than hearing a jukebox :P

If you just accept it for what it is, instead of imagining it to be something more, then you won't feel so betrayed as to consider it a farce.

I'm not sure what you're expecting from the dude haha

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:41 pm

dna598 wrote:The whole "live" electronic music with machines thing is a farce.
It may be difficult, but it's certainly not impossible or a "farce".
But that you post your opinion on this in a thread discussing the barebones DJ set up of a kid, tells me you know NOTHING about it :lol:

But you have an opinion on it anyways....
How nice ;)

bytheriver

Post by bytheriver » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:45 pm

Never heard of him before and I completely hate the music and style of f-ing it all around every four beats.

That said, good for him if he's into it.

Looking at it I got the impression his tracks were pre-cut into sections (intro/build/break1/..etc) and given the choppy nature of it properly less sections and more 8 beat loops, then linked together with follow actions.

I suspect the sets of two might be the actual sections and then dummy clips for something, I cant see why they would be two sets of audio clips for every track.

From there is fairly standard filters/effects.