soundflower only captures in mono in ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andwutt

soundflower only captures in mono in ableton?

Post by andwutt » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:40 am

i'm trying to capture something on my iTunes so i've got this config setup.

iTunes (just playing on my computer) > soundflower (2ch) set to none (off) > ableton input's set to soundflower (2ch).

abletons output is set to built in... i'm getting signal but i'm only getting a mono signal... what am i doing wrong?

p.s. i didn't realize soundflower causes so much latency.

ObtuseMoose

Re: soundflower only captures in mono in ableton?

Post by ObtuseMoose » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:47 pm

Make sure the input channel you have selected in the audio track (the chooser box just above the "Monitor" label) is the stereo one, i.e. the one labeled "1/2" instead of one of the ones labeled just "1" or "2"

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:35 pm

andwutt wrote:i'm trying to capture something on my iTunes so i've got this config setup.

iTunes (just playing on my computer) > soundflower (2ch) set to none (off) > ableton input's set to soundflower (2ch).

abletons output is set to built in... i'm getting signal but i'm only getting a mono signal... what am i doing wrong?

p.s. i didn't realize soundflower causes so much latency.
AFAICT Soundflower is NOT fully compatible with OS X 10.9 and later. What release are you using and on what OS X version? The latest 1.6.9 release from Rogue Amoba is from Dec 23 2013. I've read that some people have used it successfully on OS X 10.10 while others like myself can't get basic functionality from it so maybe it's a use case issue?

It might still work though. I couldn't make it work in any useful way in 10.9 as it worked in OS X 10.6. There many forked versions. Maybe one of them will work better? Unfortunately many forks doesn't provide a binary.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:39 pm

andwutt wrote:i'm trying to capture something on my iTunes so i've got this config setup.
You do know Live can open music files right? If not directly, you can use Max or XLD to convert the format to AIFF or WAV.
Make some music!

andwutt

Post by andwutt » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:01 am

i'm using OS X yosimite 10.10.4

what i'm really trying to do is run iTunes through ableton so i can run Izotope and poke around and analyze the production on whichever track that's playing. i've had success (stereo) with Au Labs but i'd rather just run it through ableton, but i'm only getting a mono signal.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:24 am

andwutt wrote:i'm using OS X yosimite 10.10.4

what i'm really trying to do is run iTunes through ableton so i can run Izotope and poke around and analyze the production on whichever track that's playing. i've had success (stereo) with Au Labs but i'd rather just run it through ableton, but i'm only getting a mono signal.
Well, if you can get a stereo signal to AU Labs you should be able to get it to Live. Can you please post the details for what you choose as input? How is it different from AU Labs?
Make some music!

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:48 am

andwutt wrote:i'm using OS X yosimite 10.10.4

Then you're over-complicating things....

Drag and drop a song from your iTunes screen onto an audio track in Ableton. There is no need to record it.

Once the track there, put Isotope on that track, hit play, and analyze away.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute