Free piano ...practice?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
dhpetrescu

Free piano ...practice?

Post by dhpetrescu » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:43 am

I'm currently learning piano and would like to practice regularly. However, I only have a four octave synthesizer and an ex key. I have neighbors so I can't buy a piano. Does anyone have any ideas of where I could practice on the real piano regularly, preferably for free?

beats me

Re: Free piano ...practice?

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:01 am

Did you post this from the 1800's?

8O

dhpetrescu

Post by dhpetrescu » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:26 am

From the 1890s to be specific. You'd think there would be more pianos around.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:49 am

Got any local community colleges nearby? Often they have small practice rooms that can be reserved for just this thing. Maybe if you belong to a church that's another example? Break into a retirement home?

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:18 am

Get an electronic one like a Yamaha or something. One with a headphone jack?

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:03 am

dhpetrescu wrote:I'm currently learning piano and would like to practice regularly. However, I only have a four octave synthesizer and an ex key. I have neighbors so I can't buy a piano. Does anyone have any ideas of where I could practice on the real piano regularly, preferably for free?
I'd switch to acoustic guitar if I were you, and learn a bunch of Dan Fogelberg tunes. It's quieter, portable, lightweight, and tons of chicks will be on you like a junkyard dog on a T-Bone. :|

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:40 am

Styles Bitchly wrote:and tons of chicks will be on you like a junkyard dog on a T-Bone. :|
HA, but imagine how the chicks would be on him if he showed up on the beach with a grand piano 8O

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:05 am

TomViolenz wrote:
Styles Bitchly wrote:and tons of chicks will be on you like a junkyard dog on a T-Bone. :|
HA, but imagine how the chicks would be on him if he showed up on the beach with a grand piano 8O
They might surmise that he's one of those dumbbell pumping steroid infused John Cena burrhead types who hoisted the said piano onto the beach from the flatbed attached to his '05 Mazda after guzzling down a 48 oz. EAS chocolate flavored whey powder shake and applying some Panama Jack oil to those rippled and disgusting bulging biceps. No....I think soft acoustic pop folk-rock strummed in tandem with the background lull of gentle waves curling onto the shore is the ticket to keeping the chicks mesmerized and scoring gobs of poontang in the process. :|

owlmerlyn

Post by owlmerlyn » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:07 pm

Tarekith wrote:Got any local community colleges nearby? Often they have small practice rooms that can be reserved for just this thing. Maybe if you belong to a church that's another example? Break into a retirement home?
Agreed... also include universities. I used to be able to access the music school of my uni, back in the day. You might have to pay for the privilege on any of these options though.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:34 pm

Styles Bitchly wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
They might surmise that he's one of those dumbbell pumping steroid infused John Cena burrhead types who hoisted the said piano onto the beach from the flatbed attached to his '05 Mazda after guzzling down a 48 oz. EAS chocolate flavored whey powder shake and applying some Panama Jack oil to those rippled and disgusting bulging biceps. No....I think soft acoustic pop folk-rock strummed in tandem with the background lull of gentle waves curling onto the shore is the ticket to keeping the chicks mesmerized and scoring gobs of poontang in the process. :|
I don't know what world you live in where hippies get more chicks than Guidos :lol:

dhpetrescu

Post by dhpetrescu » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:24 am

I'm in Portland there is a university close by, good idea I'll try it out. I tried a digital piano it's just not the same. I was thinking of getting a suitcase Rhodes as long as it works with headphones. Plus, what woman could resist a guy with a suitcase Rhodes?

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:55 am

dhpetrescu wrote:I'm in Portland there is a university close by, good idea I'll try it out. I tried a digital piano it's just not the same. I was thinking of getting a suitcase Rhodes as long as it works with headphones. Plus, what woman could resist a guy with a suitcase Rhodes?
The only kind of women who can't resist a guy with a suitcase Rhodes are those bohemian hipster types who go to poetry readings and have an affinity for creepy lurching Donald Fagen looking dudes with Oilcan Harry mustaches and cold-clammy limp wristed handshakes. :D

owlmerlyn

Post by owlmerlyn » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:20 pm

dhpetrescu wrote:I'm in Portland there is a university close by, good idea I'll try it out...
Cool, good luck. Hope you come right..

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:12 am

dhpetrescu wrote:I'm in Portland there is a university close by, good idea I'll try it out. I tried a digital piano it's just not the same. I was thinking of getting a suitcase Rhodes as long as it works with headphones. Plus, what woman could resist a guy with a suitcase Rhodes?
If you want a digital piano to practice piano with a feel of a piano, you have to get one with real hammers - like some of the Yamaha ones (exactly the same mechanics as a real piano, just without the strings) - then the feel is exactly the same as a piano. Anything else is not going to feel like a piano - even though they may try to sell you that it feels like the real thing - the same way a 128 mp3 was sold as CD quality lol.

As for Rhodes, I love them and I am thinking of getting one eventually. But if you want to play a "piano" then a Rhodes is a different instrument really.