Live needs MIDI editing tools...

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
onesnzeros

Live needs MIDI editing tools...

Post by onesnzeros » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:59 am

In order for anyone like me who uses a DAW with proper MIDI editing to migrate fully to Live, Ableton needs to get some decent MIDI editing tools happening. At least a scissors tool and a join tool. Not menu commands or keyboard shortcuts, a tool to quickly cut piano roll notes up into smaller pieces and to quickly join some notes together. Live is an amazing program that can be used in many different ways, except for MIDI note writing/editing. I'm beta testing v9 but I see no improvement in this area. I hope this will improve in the near future!

monkey69

Re: Live needs MIDI editing tools...

Post by monkey69 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:50 pm

bump :!:

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:17 pm

Absolutely. While I have no problems making music in Live, it would be very nice to have these and other MIDI features in place.

80's MusicMan

Post by 80's MusicMan » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:55 am

Agree!!
Ableton is the best application to use live especially session view however working with midi clips is hopeless.
I've been using Cubase 5.5 for years which is great with midi. Do my track there then import into Ableton live once on stage.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:41 pm

onesnzeros wrote:In order for anyone like me who uses a DAW with proper MIDI editing to migrate fully to Live, Ableton needs to get some decent MIDI editing tools happening. At least a scissors tool and a join tool. Not menu commands or keyboard shortcuts, a tool to quickly cut piano roll notes up into smaller pieces and to quickly join some notes together. Live is an amazing program that can be used in many different ways, except for MIDI note writing/editing. I'm beta testing v9 but I see no improvement in this area. I hope this will improve in the near future!
I agree completely.
Make some music!

Quez

Post by Quez » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:13 pm

I agree for scissor tool and join tool or function.

jurgen.simpson

Post by jurgen.simpson » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:20 pm

80's MusicMan wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:55 am
Agree!!
Ableton is the best application to use live especially session view however working with midi clips is hopeless.
I've been using Cubase 5.5 for years which is great with midi. Do my track there then import into Ableton live once on stage.
Eight years later and these requirements are still there. Ableton is hopeless at MIDI editing.

Try making a chord of slightly different length notes the same length... you can't because there's no scissor tool.
Try segmenting a long held note into two or more shorter notes... you can't because there's no scissor tool (you can shorten a note then copy but that's about four or five additional steps).
Want to compare two or more different MIDI tracks (essential if you're orchestrating). You can't... use Logic instead.

What a shame. Is anyone listening in Ableton? Will this be in 12? So much to love. So much to disappoint.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:17 am

jurgen.simpson wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:20 pm
Try making a chord of slightly different length notes the same length... you can't because there's no scissor tool.
Try segmenting a long held note into two or more shorter notes... you can't because there's no scissor tool (you can shorten a note then copy but that's about four or five additional steps).
It's now possible in L12.

jurgen.simpson wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:20 pm
Want to compare two or more different MIDI tracks (essential if you're orchestrating). You can't... use Logic instead.
Multiclips editing was added in L11 (or was it in L10?)...
Ableton Forum Moderator

jurgen.simpson

Post by jurgen.simpson » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:49 am

Thanks for responding [jur]!

Great to hear that 12 resolves the long awaited midi scissors editing capacity.

Multi-clip editing is indeed an option. I guess it means shift clicking the different clips to enable it each time and as long as i change the color of each clip i can identify them. It's a bit fiddly though compared to Logic where i can set up 100 templates that remember any window juxtapositions. So with one shortcut i can see all of my wind instruments juxtaposed (either stacked in different windows or like multi-clip mode), then another clip i can see my strings, then keys, etc. etc. With Ableton i have to shift click each of the juxtapositions. It's just SO slow.

It does seem 12 will be a big change with many design issues that have plagued users resolved.

Thanks.