keep getting "Serious program error" crashes; is it 9.2.2?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
luxxury

keep getting "Serious program error" crashes; is it 9.2.2?

Post by luxxury » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:58 am

"A serious program error has occurred.
Live will shut down after this message box is closed.

Please restart Live and follow the instructions in the
'Report a Crash' lesson that will appear in Live's Help View."

I get this every time I try and open a file. It started this morning, but I was using it fine all day yesterday *(and every day before that for months) and I haven't added any new VSTs in weeks. All the trouble started today, this morning. While I haven't explicitly paid attention to the version number I've been on recently, I had the autoupdate feature on so I'm assuming it was 9.2.1; and thus I'm wondering if the problems are because of 9.2.2, as I had the autoupdate feature on, and I see 9.2.2 just came out 2 days ago. Though again, I used it all day yesterday with no issues, its likely I haven't "quit" out in a couple of days, so perhaps when I did last night is when Autoupdate brought me to 9.2.2.

I trashed the preferences and at least can get the program to open but no sessions will open. Is there any where I can download 9.2.1?

Help, thank you!

xx

P.S. MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch/mid 2014, OS X Yosemite 10.10.3, 2.5 ghz i7, 16 gigs ram
MacBook Pro 16 inch 2021
macOS Monterey 12.0.1, M1 Max 32 GB
Ableton 11.0.12

http://www.luxxury.com
http://www.tiktok.com/luxxuryxx

luxxury

Re: keep getting "Serious program error" crashes; is it 9.2.2?

Post by luxxury » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:31 am

Update:
- tried resetting - deleted preferences, template and undo etc - crashed anyway
- removed plug ins and reinstalled one at a time - crashed anyway
- tried importing tracks from within the blank template from an existing session. tried dragging all of them (appx 25) and it crashed. tried again and was able to drag and drop a few at a time - got all the way to the last three then it crashed
- so i tried again, dragging and dropping ONLY those 3 that made it crash before, and this time they worked…but then it crashed when i went in reverse from there, adding the other tracks
- my “_autoupdates” folder says it was modified today 3:33pm which is when the problems started going down so it must be when 9.2.2 automatically installed itself over 9.2.1
- downloaded 9.1.1. now everything works.

SO: 9.2.2. = NO
MacBook Pro 16 inch 2021
Ableton 11.0.12

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:49 am

You might want to contact support@ableton.com if you need help trying to figure out why 9.2.2 is not working but 9.1.1 is.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:01 pm

luxxury wrote:
Did you mean 9.2.1?
Make some music!

Nauris

Post by Nauris » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:15 pm

Hi guys, I have exactly the same problem on my Windows 7 64-bit operation system after 9.2.2 update. ABLETON ruined my day, I can't continue my work. Ofcourse they will make excuses there is a problems with my VSTs bla bla. bla bla. Should I really start thinking of changing the DAW? I have bad expierence with Ableton since their 9.2 and onwards updates. Feel really upset and pissed off.

mikb

Post by mikb » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:22 pm

Nauris wrote:Hi guys, I have exactly the same problem on my Windows 7 64-bit operation system after 9.2.2 update. ABLETON ruined my day, I can't continue my work. Ofcourse they will make excuses there is a problems with my VSTs bla bla. bla bla. Should I really start thinking of changing the DAW? I have bad expierence with Ableton since their 9.2 and onwards updates. Feel really upset and pissed off.

Yes, please change DAW. Seriously, it may very well be that you do need to update your VSTs. What are the program errors you get?
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.

Nauris

Post by Nauris » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:43 pm

mikb wrote:
Nauris wrote:Hi guys, I have exactly the same problem on my Windows 7 64-bit operation system after 9.2.2 update. ABLETON ruined my day, I can't continue my work. Ofcourse they will make excuses there is a problems with my VSTs bla bla. bla bla. Should I really start thinking of changing the DAW? I have bad expierence with Ableton since their 9.2 and onwards updates. Feel really upset and pissed off.

Yes, please change DAW. Seriously, it may very well be that you do need to update your VSTs. What are the program errors you get?
everytime they do an update I'm experiencing some difficulties to launch or use DAW. All my VSTs are up to date.

mikb

Post by mikb » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:03 am

Nauris wrote:
mikb wrote:

everytime they do an update I'm experiencing some difficulties to launch or use DAW. All my VSTs are up to date.
OK, but I certainly don't have this issue at every update and I commonly use every beta version too. I have had some bouts with instability, but found the solutions for these and applied them. This have included new hardware, re-installation of the OS and of every piece of music software as well as setting up and updating everything. It might be that the problem is with your system. I use Live 9 on OS X 10.9 as well as, to a lesser extent, in Windows 7.

Once you've fixed this you need to make sure you make a full backup of a working system, separated from your production backups, so you can get back to it if you later update and encounter issues again.
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.

luxxury

Post by luxxury » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:00 am

Stromkraft wrote:
luxxury wrote:
Did you mean 9.2.1?
No I wasn't able to find a link to 9.2.1 anywhere for download, and the only other version I could find on my machine or my backups was 9.1.1 which, happily, worked.

...actually I just launched Ableton by opening a file (as opposed to launching the software first) and it opened in 9.2.0, which I didn;t realize I still had on my machine! Indeed I can't find it in my apps anywhere but clearly the file is still somewhere on my drive. Anyway the good news is everything works fine in 9.2.0 as well as 9.1.1, it's just 9.2.2 that's bad news. Also I just got a link from Ableton support to download 9.2.1, I'll try that later when my internet connection is fast enough to DL it but for now I'm just happy my stuff works, and am definitely not going to use auto update (or 9.2.2) anymore!
MacBook Pro 16 inch 2021
Ableton 11.0.12

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:03 am

luxxury wrote:am definitely not going to use auto update (or 9.2.2) anymore!
Yes, that approach, manual updates, has proven to be very fruitful for many. Usually updates go by like a breeze but once in a while you hit on something.
I think I've made a request to Ableton support to make it possible to regret an update and go back. One way to do that is to make sure you keep the previous installation on your drive. This is easy on OS X at least as you just make a copy and rename it by adding its version number. Otherwise just keep the installation image around. I always keep the previous version for a few weeks. Though keeping multiple versions around is something Ableton themselves for some reason dissuade from, I feel the extra control makes this worthwhile. Personally I always have at least 2 versions on my disk, the current and the beta.

I control all network connections including automatic updates with Little Snitch, a shareware application. If you do think it's convenient with auto-updates this allows you to exercise some control over when the update happen.

One strong example on why to turn off automatic updates!:

Imagine you are going to play a gig. While you're preparing in the studio Live is updated as you have automatic updates active. You unknowingly go to the gig and mid-gig you encounter a problem you have never had before, because of a bug in the new version, an incompatibility with one of your plug-ins or anything else that could be a fact or little detail that you missed. Embarrassing?

This could be any other important event. The alternative is to never let that happen and do updates manually at times when you can encounter problems and tackle them. Time is the essence. You always make a better choice than what Ableton can when is the best time to update.
Make some music!

Nauris

Post by Nauris » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:55 am

luxxury wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
luxxury wrote:
Did you mean 9.2.1?
No I wasn't able to find a link to 9.2.1 anywhere for download, and the only other version I could find on my machine or my backups was 9.1.1 which, happily, worked.

...actually I just launched Ableton by opening a file (as opposed to launching the software first) and it opened in 9.2.0, which I didn;t realize I still had on my machine! Indeed I can't find it in my apps anywhere but clearly the file is still somewhere on my drive. Anyway the good news is everything works fine in 9.2.0 as well as 9.1.1, it's just 9.2.2 that's bad news. Also I just got a link from Ableton support to download 9.2.1, I'll try that later when my internet connection is fast enough to DL it but for now I'm just happy my stuff works, and am definitely not going to use auto update (or 9.2.2) anymore!
Hi luxxury, I found a copy of 9.1.7 on my external hard drive and downgraded from 9.2.2 and it seems my problems disappeared. Turned automatic updates OFF as well.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:01 pm

Nauris wrote: Hi luxxury, I found a copy of 9.1.7 on my external hard drive and downgraded from 9.2.2 and it seems my problems disappeared. Turned automatic updates OFF as well.
It's very confusing for me that you find all 9.2 releases to give issues as 9.2 really have improved what I can do with my old MBP. It's rock solid most of the time. I did notice when using the betas that when I had audio issues lowering the latency relieved me of these rather than the opposite. This might have something to do with the drivers for my RME Babyface of course as well as having to get later MBP, but that was a first for me.
Make some music!

jbandes

Post by jbandes » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:22 am

The entire 9.2 version crashes on startup A serious program error has occurred. I have scanned with Malwarebytes and used CC cleaner to clean the registry. I am on Windows 10 64 bit and if I installed 9.5 everything works. Been working with Ableton Suppoort for a week still cant fix it. Only way to user it is to load 9.5. I even tried the latest beta and the problem still exists. They made changes in how they handle VST files in 9.2 and obviously not for the better. The strange thing is that if I reboot 9.6.2 runs for a few times and then starts crashing the only way to stop it is to do a reset delete the files in the hidden user directory its documented on their page and reboot. Work for a little bit and then starts crashing I really wish they would fix this.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:30 pm

luxxury wrote:"A serious program error has occurred.
Live will shut down after this message box is closed.

Please restart Live and follow the instructions in the
'Report a Crash' lesson that will appear in Live's Help View."
I've got one occurrence of these now. Nothing serious though and didn't lose any data.
Make some music!

jbandes

Post by jbandes » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:27 pm

I am posting this to help anyone else that may have been receiving the dreaded "A serious program error has occurred.
Live will shut down after this message box is closed. I did the Ableton reset but no good. the Problem does not happen on 9.5 but from 9.6 and any version after 9.6 it was crashing. After many hours I decided that it had to be some kind of Software conflict so I did a Clean Boot https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135 in windows by editing my MSCONFIG to only launch windows and the Komplete Audio 6 ASIO audio driver.

The crashing appears to have now stopped (thank god) Now I think it will be the slow process of adding things back one at a time until I find the program that is conflicting with Ableton but at least so far it appears to have resolved the problem. Will post again in a few days after I am sure it has fixed and solved the problem.