APC Mini is a piece of shit. New Spam free thread.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Buleriachk

Re: APC Mini is a piece of shit. New Spam free thread.

Post by Buleriachk » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:49 pm

TomViolenz wrote: 8O
Really?! You want to play keys on these pads?
They are barely good enough to trigger clips IMO.
No, not really. I just thought while he was at it...
Just tryin' to be helpful... :)

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:50 am

+1000 for Launchpad95 functionality, i.e. what i would love to see is:

- Session view (standard mode)
- Step Sequencer a la Push
- Note Mode like LP/Push/APC 20
- LP user mode 2 (for controlling FX)
- LP Mixer Mode (especially the ability to trigger Solo Mute Record and Select through the 3-4 bottom rows)

Pretty please pretty please !

:)

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:54 am

Oh and while you're at it could you also make a script for the Akai Midimix that adds Launchcontrol XL functionality ?

Especially to make the bottom row of encoders automatically control the first 8 parameters of a selected device (instead of pan, just like LCXL)

Thanks !

:mrgreen:

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:33 am

beatz01 wrote:+1000 for Launchpad95 functionality, i.e. what i would love to see is:

- LP Mixer Mode (especially the ability to trigger Solo Mute Record and Select through the 3-4 bottom rows)

Ungrateful wretch. All I wanted was Session Overview....
I was lying about the Launchpad95.. :)

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:30 am

beatz01 wrote:Oh and while you're at it could you also make a script for the Akai Midimix that adds Launchcontrol XL functionality ?

Especially to make the bottom row of encoders automatically control the first 8 parameters of a selected device (instead of pan, just like LCXL)

Thanks !

:mrgreen:
Thats already done, but we've turned all the pots into device control so you control 32 parameters at a time...

Cheers
D

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:32 am

beatz01 wrote:+1000 for Launchpad95 functionality, i.e. what i would love to see is:

Nice ideas, here's our take at the moment...

1, LaunchPad 95, sorry not gonna happen we'll leave that to Mots...
2, Session View - Yes
3, Step Sequencer - Push wise it's covered by too many copyrights for us to replicate it i'm afraid...
4, Note Mode - Maybe but probably not with just a script, M4L is likely...
5 & 6 - yes forthcoming in our M4L Performance template for it....

Cheers
D

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:47 pm

S4racen wrote: 3, Step Sequencer - Push wise it's covered by too many copyrights for us to replicate it i'm afraid...
I don't think anyone owns a copyright on the simple idea of dividing a 8x8 grid into 3 larger sections..?

All i would really need is just that: upper 4 rows for inputting steps, left 4x4 grid for drums/instrument selection, right 4x4 for length/size.

How could that be copyrighted ?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 pm

beatz01 wrote:
S4racen wrote: 3, Step Sequencer - Push wise it's covered by too many copyrights for us to replicate it i'm afraid...
I don't think anyone owns a copyright on the simple idea of dividing a 8x8 grid into 3 larger sections..?

All i would really need is just that: upper 4 rows for inputting steps, left 4x4 grid for drums/instrument selection, right 4x4 for length/size.

How could that be copyrighted ?
Thats just it, to implement it we have to use Abletons code, when you look at it that's where you'll find the copyright elements....

Cheers
D

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:07 pm

S4racen wrote: Thats just it, to implement it we have to use Abletons code, when you look at it that's where you'll find the copyright elements....

Cheers
D
I would hope that Ableton or Akai would have at least given you a free APC Mini. Whoever released it without Session Overview (never mind anything else) had his head completely up his ass.... And if you get it done, Ableton should incorporate it as their standard script.

I still can't believe Ableton released the APC Mini/APC Key25 without SO. Dumbest design/marketing decision EVER!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:05 pm

Buleriachk wrote:
S4racen wrote: Thats just it, to implement it we have to use Abletons code, when you look at it that's where you'll find the copyright elements....

Cheers
D
I would hope that Ableton or Akai would have at least given you a free APC Mini. Whoever released it without Session Overview (never mind anything else) had his head completely up his ass.... And if you get it done, Ableton should incorporate it as their standard script.

I still can't believe Ableton released the APC Mini/APC Key25 without SO. Dumbest design/marketing decision EVER!
We're doing this with AKAI's blessing, but we've had to re-write most of everything to achieve it, so it's not a simple case of adding a component...

Cheers
D

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:17 pm

S4racen wrote:
Thats just it, to implement it we have to use Abletons code, when you look at it that's where you'll find the copyright elements....

Cheers
D
So how did mots get around this with his step sequencer in LP95 ?

Just asking :wink:

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:30 pm

S4racen wrote:
We're doing this with AKAI's blessing, but we've had to re-write most of everything to achieve it, so it's not a simple case of adding a component...

D
Yes, I looked at the Python code when it first came out. I was going to try it myself, but I'm 75 and don't have time for coding anymore...

Whoever designed the Mini derived the code from the Key 25 so they could avoid the different matrix sizes altogether. What a dumb, dumb way to hamstring both CLIP LAUNCH devices. Fracking idiot(s) !!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:36 pm

beatz01 wrote:
S4racen wrote:

Cheers
D
So how did mots get around this with his step sequencer in LP95 ?

Just asking :wink:
You should ask him that, it's not something we're willing to go up against Ableton and do, they have been very good to us over the years and we'd like that to continue....

We'll create other Sequencers, just not ones that copy the Push...

Cheers
D

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:51 pm

I've always wondered if anyone has made any step sequencers for the bottom right two rows of buttons of the novation remote mkii.

....but that is a bit off topic :)

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:39 pm

S4racen wrote: We'll create other Sequencers, just not ones that copy the Push...

Cheers
D
Fair enough, and i'd certainly welcome *any* kind of step sequencer funtionality on the APC Mini.

It's just that the layout the way it's done on the LP95/Push makes so much sense.

Maybe you could ask mots if it would be ok to borrow some of HIS code for a APC Mini step sequencer..?

:wink:

On that note, maybe Ableton would even be willing to give away the code for free if being asked nicely ?
Afterall, it would drastically enhance the functionality of the Mini, which can only be good for Ableton.