Drum Racks problem

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
colinxy

Drum Racks problem

Post by colinxy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:21 am

Hey, I have a small question about drums racks. I'm trying to layer sounds (kicks/snares mainly) on top of each other to create a fatter sound. The first thing I've done is to add a second sample of the sound (say a kick) to the kit that I'm using, then I commend click in the chain and group them together (the dual name becomes "drum rack" which I then rename "kicks"). So far so good. But now I want to create a single multisample so that I can press one key and get the full sound. So I command drag the new sample over the original kick sample and I get "Multi", which I can't remain. Again, so far so good.

Here's the problem though. In the Rack's Chain list, when I do that I end up with just a new Instrument Rack for the old sample instead of the two separate samples in a single drum rack as before. Hope this makes sense. It's harder then to apply compression etc to both samples together.

Any ideas or tips?

Thanks in advance.

Richie Witch

Re: Drum Racks problem

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:30 am

If you want to apply compression or other effects to grouped sounds in a drum rack, you only need to drag and drop the plugin onto the group.

If you want to play both sounds while only hitting one key, you will probably need to switch to an instrument rack.

The third option would be to record the two sounds being played together/layered, and bounce that to a new sample. The new sample could then be dropped into the drum rack.

Hope that helps.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

colinxy

Post by colinxy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:00 pm

Thanks it does help partially. I think there's an issue there because Drum Rack allows you to put more than one sample on one pad but then it creates an instrument rack within drum rack, on top of the drum rack you've already created for the group. It's an unnecessary layer in my opinion.

Cheers.

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:50 pm

Are you sure you'e grouping it in the right way? Maybe I'm not understanding your post correctly, but the grouped instrument rack, which contains two (of more) simpler instruments which are your layered samples, should be nested on a single drum rack pad.

It reads as if you're grouping them to a drum rack, or you're grouping the drum rack to an instrument rack.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:39 am

colinxy wrote:now I want to create a single multisample so that I can press one key and get the full sound. So I command drag the new sample over the original kick sample and I get "Multi", which I can't remain.
You need to set the MIDI in note (the first value after the chain name below) to the same value if you want to be able to trigger each different sound with just one key:

What do you mean "can't remain"?
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:48 am

colinxy wrote:So I command drag the new sample over the original kick sample and I get "Multi", which I can't remain. Again, so far so good.

Here's the problem though. In the Rack's Chain list, when I do that I end up with just a new Instrument Rack for the old sample instead of the two separate samples in a single drum rack as before. Hope this makes sense. It's harder then to apply compression etc to both samples together.
Are you using a drum rack but you get an instrument rack= That doesn't seem right.

When you group 2 chains with drum racks it should look a little something like these nested drum racks:Image.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:53 am

Richie Witch wrote:If you want to apply compression or other effects to grouped sounds in a drum rack, you only need to drag and drop the plugin onto the group.
Another alternative is to extract the group level chain to its own track and apply effects via sending to a return track. Using it on the chain itself is of course useful if the effect is an integral part of the sound.
Make some music!