APC Mini is a piece of shit. New Spam free thread.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yur2die4

Re: APC Mini is a piece of shit. New Spam free thread.

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:41 am

What would you compare the feel of the Pro's pads to? A main reason that I want the Pro is because I sort of hate the Push pads. Not only are they not always naturally predictable, they can sometimes hang indefinitely in some kind of dumb glitch.

I also know that I love the original LP's pads. But I can't really expect that since they click as buttons, and pressure/velocity pads are probably completely different.

Maybe my question belongs in the long-buried Launchpad Pro thread.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:07 am

I like Push better, but they are both very good.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi All,

Given the work involved and the return we've decided to cut the APC MINI Project short at the Session Overview stage, we'll return to it with our OktoPad MaxforLive Performance template but for now you'll be the first to download and test for us that all works as expected...

Should be available for download in the next few days....

Cheers
D

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:15 pm

I hope it gets incorporated into Live as the default script.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:43 pm

Buleriachk wrote:I hope it gets incorporated into Live as the default script.
Thats not going to happen hence us creating it.... Wasted effort otherwise...

Cheers
D

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:00 pm

S4racen wrote:
Buleriachk wrote:I hope it gets incorporated into Live as the default script.
Thats not going to happen hence us creating it.... Wasted effort otherwise...

Cheers
D
The point being, the idiots responsible for leaving it out should pay you for your efforts..... and then incorporate it into Live.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:43 am

Well let's not get into that, it is what it is and now theres a solution...

Our final release candidate is now available for download from our website...

http://isotonikstudios.com/sigabort/akai-apc-mini-xl/

Cheers
D

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:41 pm

S4racen wrote:Well let's not get into that, it is what it is and now theres a solution...

Our final release candidate is now available for download from our website...

http://isotonikstudios.com/sigabort/akai-apc-mini-xl/

Cheers
D
Thanks SO much for this. I will revisit my negative review on the Web and update them with this info (particularly Amazon and Sweetwater).

The APC Key 25 is actually very powerful for keyboardists who want a portable solution for soloing against backing tracks; I hope this will be done someday as well (especially since the matrix conforms to that of the APC40 series....)

Again, thanks...

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:11 pm

Update: Uh, oh, in the new(er) version I just downloaded, it works the old way; the bar moves with the arrow keys, but the volume control works...

Session View worked fine last night (except for the volume control and the other quibble), before you announced it here... :)

sigabort

Post by sigabort » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:16 pm

Hi, are you saying there's a problem? I've fixed the volume control (which I'd broken).. is the overview working for you or not?

it is no longer turned on by default - button 6 along the right hand side should now be illuminated and allow you to enter overview mode either momentarily or toggle...

If you have a APC25 to test against then I'll knock a script up for that too, tho I don't have one to test on... it'll be in a week or so tho as my timetable is full currently...

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:07 pm

sigabort wrote:Hi, are you saying there's a problem? I've fixed the volume control (which I'd broken).. is the overview working for you or not?

it is no longer turned on by default - button 6 along the right hand side should now be illuminated and allow you to enter overview mode either momentarily or toggle...

If you have a APC25 to test against then I'll knock a script up for that too, tho I don't have one to test on... it'll be in a week or so tho as my timetable is full currently...
Now when I press shift, the matrix remains unchanged; session view does not come up.

About the APC Key 25 .. I do have one to test against, and will happily be a beta tester for it...

Update: Ok, pressing Scene button 6 is the toggle. Press snift + scene 6 (momentarily) toggles it on permanently, holding scene 6 down restores session when scene 6 is released.

Update: Session Overview indicators are consistent with Launchpad. (I had previously written they were inconsistent and was wrong... my bad :)

sigabort

Post by sigabort » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:37 pm

The select button (scene 6) acts as a standard momentary/toggle - whilst holding shift, a quick press/release will toggle the current state, i.e. if you toggle it on, release shift, then press shift again, you will still be in overview mode. If you press shift, hold down select then overview will engage and releasing the button should disengage it...

I don't have access to the unit at the moment, but will confirm when I get chance...

Update: Just thought there might be some confusion over terminology - a momentary switch does not refer to pressing the button momentarily, it refers to holding the button down for a period of time - guess that kind of seems non intuitive, but that's generally how they're described... so, quick press/release = toggle, longer hold/release = momentary :)

Buleriachk

APC Mini is no longer a POS

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:05 pm

Stray at NativeKontrol had just created a script for the APC Mini that preserves the original controls, but adds a user preferences text file where you can decide if you want the matrix to move incrementally (as shipped) or in banks of 8 (Session Overview), thus preserving the original button functions.

The script also includes basic clip editing functions (I haven't test them, but I'll get to it shortly. I was primarily interested in Session Overview, and don't use incremental movement at all.

AM_Live: http://beatwise.proboards.com/thread/23 ... i-apc-mini

Thanks, Stray, you made my year!

kristianross

Post by kristianross » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:02 pm

I share your pain.

When I use more than 78 midi mappings in Live (I've mapped my Beatstep Pro to a drumrack - resulting in 199 mappings all together) my APC Mini can no-longer connect to Live. It tries and tries rather chaotically, but only manages to screw up everything for everyone.

I then delete random midi mappings. And suddenly at a total of 78 midi mappings it works perfectly again. It doesn't seem to matter which specific midi mappings are there or removed. If I then map one more knob or whatever (the 79th mapping) it goes back to malfunctioning.

Still no-one has a clue what could be the conflict here?

Oryx

Post by Oryx » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:49 pm

Maybe a stupid question, but did you try using a powered USB hub?

I don't have an apc mini, but I noticed that a decent powered USB hub can solve a lot of issues.