New MacbookPro or Imac

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
EasyWorkflow

New MacbookPro or Imac

Post by EasyWorkflow » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:10 pm

Friends...my 2009 imac which included 20 GB memory and SSD drive is dying a slow death and it looks like I am going to know need a video card. I do not want to put anymore money into an old computer and will give the memory and SSD drive to my nephew.

Question: Does it make sense to but another Imac or Macbookpro? Currently I have a 27 inch Imac hooked to a 24 inch monitor so I can view session and arrangement view. The MacbookPro 15 inch screen is a bit small for my eyes even though I can still see the screen. So if I went with macbookpro, I would need two monitors hooked up. I currently do everything at home, but I want to gig in 12 to 16 months using Ableton so I know I will need a laptop in 18 months. Does it make sense to buy another Imac now and when/if the time comes for live gigging which will be a approx 16 to 18 months, pickup a 2017 macbookpro which will be much more powerful than current model. Or is the current macbookpro which I would max out with Ram, SSD drive etc, still be powerful enough to use for the next 3 to 5 years. If I went that route, all I would need is a second 24 inch monitor which cost me $130 which I paid for last one. I also use my Imac for other things so I did love the 27 inch screen. The second monitor I get could be a 27 inch screen but not have the beautiful resolution that the retina display has.

Thanks

ambientidm

Re: New MacbookPro or Imac

Post by ambientidm » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:09 pm

I would wait until the mbp gets and update that will likely include more powerful skylake processors and usb-c/thunderbolt 3.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:37 pm

Ditto. I was just thinking today that it's been awhile since it had a major update. I want a space grey one! :)

Anyway, if you can't wait, both the high end MBP and iMac are more than enough for making music. I lean towards the MBP for versatility though.

theswiftone

Post by theswiftone » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:18 am

I recently got the new 15inch MacBook Pro because my old one just didn't cut it anymore. I also have an 2011 IMac which I was using a lot. But now I have the new laptop that out performs it (thank you SSD) I hardly ever use the IMac. One thing to note though is memory is a premium.... After loading all my software I have about 100gb left from 500 8O .....

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:31 am

theswiftone wrote:One thing to note though is memory is a premium.... After loading all my software I have about 100gb left from 500 8O .....
Yes, I view 1TB SSD to be the new minimum standard for music computers. When you start collecting Impulse Responses and make your own sample library stuff adds up. Some can be be offloaded to external disks, but it's nice to have everything at your fingertips when you need it.
Make some music!

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:36 pm

My most recent computer is a 27” retina iMac with a 3T fusion drive. I’m very 8O :) 8O :)

As the saying goes, you probably don’t need a retina screen but you can’t unsee that. So therefore you do or you will feel very sad.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:18 am

ambientidm wrote:I would wait until the mbp gets and update that will likely include more powerful skylake processors and usb-c/thunderbolt 3.
there are rumors about xeon skylake processors making it into the mbp line
even if they are just skylake it will be a huge improvement
get thunderbolt 3 dock and you're all set for audio and midi devices

if you don't perform live then i would get the iMac

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:11 pm

Tarekith wrote:Ditto. I was just thinking today that it's been awhile since it had a major update. I want a space grey one! :)

Anyway, if you can't wait, both the high end MBP and iMac are more than enough for making music. I lean towards the MBP for versatility though.
space gray skylake for me
with a 1TB PCIe flash drive

suhler

Post by suhler » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:38 pm

EasyWorkflow wrote:Does it make sense to but another Imac or Macbookpro?

Consider buying a mac mini.

MacBooks are great, but don`t have nearly as much power as a desktop in the same price range. iMacs are great too, but every time you have to replace it, you kinda also buy a new display too. A few years back this wasn`t a problem, but the new high resolution retina displays are really expensive.

Today you can use your old iMac through display port as a monitor though (up until the 2011 iMacs that wasn`t possible as far as I know). But I kinda don`t like the idea of that.

The alternative is to invest into a really great display and get a mac mini. They are powerful, small, best priced for what they offer in the mac arsenal and can be replaced easier than an iMac.

You`ll get the biggest bang for the buck.

But before buying an apple product always visit the http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac homepage first. If the cycle is getting to the end, wait a couple of weeks/months for the update.

Edit: wow, I just checked some cpu benchmarks. Forget what I have written about the mac mini being more powerful. The MBP Mid-2015 surpasses the mac minis CPU by almost twice as much in the same price range. But then again the mac mini is already really old and didn`t have an update in a long time.
Last edited by suhler on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrgrim3

Post by mrgrim3 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:56 pm

save for a longer time and get mac pro tower is what i would do personally or build a pc for hackintosh
windows 8.1, amd fx 6300 3.5ghz , amd radeon 7850 2gb gfx card, GA-78LMT-USB3 rev5.0 mobo, 16 gb ram , 7200 rpm hd , steinberg ur22 interface, cubase 8.0.35 pro , ableton live 9 suite

suhler

Post by suhler » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:16 pm

mrgrim3 wrote:save for a longer time and get mac pro tower is what i would do personally or build a pc for hackintosh

Spending more than 2k on a computer isn`t very economic imo. It`s better to spend 2k instead of 4k but then replace it quicker (like every 2 years instead of every 4 years). The high end components are ridiculously more expensive compared to mid range components. That way you don`t have to spend so much at once and you are better geared overall.

@TO: perhaps also consider buying a PC. I have also been a mac user since about 10 years and really love the OS and everything. But macs aren`t what they once were. You have the same problems with them as with windows pcs nowadays. Also windows came a long way. And the difference in pricing is just ridiculous.

mrgrim3

Post by mrgrim3 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:03 pm

youre right about that its not economically smart but thats how i feel about mac in general

i just suggest that because op is looking into mac

i have an amd windows build myself because budget issues

it preforms good(amd fx 6300 3.5ghz, and 16 gb ram, Win 8.1)

my cpu could be a bit better and the cooler is kind of loud but i dont run into any preformance problems i use cubase and live rewired together
windows 8.1, amd fx 6300 3.5ghz , amd radeon 7850 2gb gfx card, GA-78LMT-USB3 rev5.0 mobo, 16 gb ram , 7200 rpm hd , steinberg ur22 interface, cubase 8.0.35 pro , ableton live 9 suite

dhpetrescu

Post by dhpetrescu » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:23 am

I'm looking at buying a MacBook Pro as well. Storage memory definitely is at a premium price. Is it practical to use an external hard drive and use files from the external linked to Ableton in real time? So files are linked not copied. Or does it lag and require copying files to the laptop to link in a ableton.

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:18 am

suhler wrote:
@TO: perhaps also consider buying a PC. I have also been a mac user since about 10 years and really love the OS and everything. But macs aren`t what they once were. You have the same problems with them as with windows pcs nowadays. Also windows came a long way. And the difference in pricing is just ridiculous.

I second this. I've been a Mac user for about 15 years and they aren't what they used to be. Also Apple seem to getting more and more customer unfriendly (what with the new "downgraded" Mac mini and the fact that they are now soldering ram and hardrives to the chassis).

I'm making the switch to PC. I've just ordered an Alienware laptop with the same components/specs as a 15inch MPB but £700 cheaper.