Reaktor 6 is here

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
v00d00ppl

Reaktor 6 is here

Post by v00d00ppl » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:29 pm

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... reaktor-6/

Who is the first to bite the bullet and upgrade?
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

mcdreamer

Re: Reaktor 6 is here

Post by mcdreamer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:38 pm

v00d00ppl wrote:http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... reaktor-6/

Who is the first to bite the bullet and upgrade?
It is very tempting but I certainly don't need yet another software modular system ;)

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:10 pm

This might be great for people who like to build their own ensembles but personally as somebody who never makes my own I don’t see the rush to upgrade, not to mention I couldn’t tell you the last time I used Reaktor. But it will be a nice addition to my reflexive annual Komplete summer 50% off upgrade purchase.

I’d be more excited about a long overdue Massive upgrade.

ivarin

Post by ivarin » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:32 pm

mcdreamer wrote: It is very tempting but I certainly don't need yet another software modular system ;)
this might be the better one though. this is much more stable than oscillot or anything m4lish, still it looks to be well organized to make virtual patching convenient enough

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:25 pm

I use Reaktor all the time, and I have to say this looks like the sort of direction I'd want them to take.
I have less and less time to do the nuts and bolts editing, and really these days I want a very very flexible modular rather than to code my own filters.
Blocks is a new framework that brings the experience of patching on an analog modular synth to REAKTOR 6. Over 30 Blocks – including oscillators, filters, effects, modulators, and sequencers – come with REAKTOR 6. Among these Blocks are components from acclaimed NI synths such as ROUNDS and MONARK – all you need to start creating elaborate modular synth patches.
Synth Lego. It's what I like about Live's racks - the immediacy and power of slapping high level chunks together with instant sonic rewards -
It seems like that's what NI have delivered here with their high level "Blocks" framework. Rather than saying "Engineers, you too can model a capacitor" they have said "Synthesists, you can slap together a filter and an oscillator"

Looks very good for me. But I'll wait a bit for the bugfix point version and update for sure.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:00 pm

@angstrom....those are good points. I might wait till komplete 11 before I upgrade. I wonder if this will be a gateway to getting a pittsburgh system. I hope not. :wink:
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

mmorgan

Post by mmorgan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:14 pm

This looks promising to me. I'm thinking that I too will wait for some better examples that what is shown (although there are already tutorials over at macprovideo) and there's always a few bugs to get worked out.

The price seems reasonable ($99.00 for the upgrade) too. Thanks for posting.
Michael Morgan | pearl hour project
Intel i7-2600 @3.4GHz; 16G Ram; Win 10-64; Live 9.5
RME-Fireface UFX; Machine II; APC40; MPK25;
Guitars and Amps

jenz

Post by jenz » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:41 pm

I can't see Reaktor 6 in my plugin window. Live 32 bits installed.
Rescaned my plugins... Nothing

Anyone has an idea?

Thanx

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:46 am

I'm with Beats Me, it looks great, I'm excited about Blocks, but NI typically give you no discount for upgrading a part of Ultimate before the next version of Komplete is out. So you spend $99 now and $199-299 later when it's time to upgrade Ultimate. :x

Too many times on forums do I read someone moaning about how they got dick from NI in terms of discount for upgrading x software out of sync with their upgrade cycle. I wouldn't recommend anyone owning Komplete buying the upgrade, unless you take what I said into account and still think it's worth it to have Reaktor earlier than Komplete 11 comes out.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:03 am

jenz wrote:I can't see Reaktor 6 in my plugin window. Live 32 bits installed.
Rescaned my plugins... Nothing

Anyone has an idea?

Thanx

This has been happening to me with Reaktor 5 for about 2 months now. Opened 2 support tickets, first one had no luck, second is awaiting an initial response from Ableton.

Also refuses to see Replika, even after downgrading to 1.2.1 (the 1.2.2 broke compatibility with Live)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:51 pm

Imma point out that in 2007 I made this rough image indicating what I hoped any Ableton Live modular solution might be like

synth lego
recognisable existing components made more powerful by allowing visual routing, like a virtual modular system.

Instead Ableton opted for a low level IDE theoretically capable of doing nearly everything, with the idea that MAX users could build the high level Reaktor style functional "blocks", inside Max, inside of Ableton.
Unfortunately as Oscillot users have found out despite intense effort from the developers - that strategy is a house of cards. Any shift in the lower levels will cause a collapse of the High Level elements. With such stratification no single stakeholder can feel in control of the development pathway and fix a bug. Even "Why doesn't my filter work?" is out of your hands.

yes, I may have mentioned that this was a bad strategy before.
I know I'm repeating myself. :|

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:10 pm

Looks really excellent. Don't own any NI stuff, this might be the one.

Had no interest in building synths from the ground up with previous ones, but the new Blocks...

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:58 pm

Machinesworking wrote:I'm with Beats Me, it looks great, I'm excited about Blocks, but NI typically give you no discount for upgrading a part of Ultimate before the next version of Komplete is out. So you spend $99 now and $199-299 later when it's time to upgrade Ultimate. :x

Too many times on forums do I read someone moaning about how they got dick from NI in terms of discount for upgrading x software out of sync with their upgrade cycle. I wouldn't recommend anyone owning Komplete buying the upgrade, unless you take what I said into account and still think it's worth it to have Reaktor earlier than Komplete 11 comes out.

Good point! The NI products I use the most are Kontakt 5, Battery 4, and Monark. I hope there is a battery 5 upgrade soon. If Battery 5 had a sequencer hooked up to it then it would be a done deal. That won't happen because that will cannibalise maschine.

gomi

Post by gomi » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:03 pm

I think what you are looking for is this

https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/oscillot/
Angstrom wrote:Imma point out that in 2007 I made this rough image indicating what I hoped any Ableton Live modular solution might be like

synth lego
recognisable existing components made more powerful by allowing visual routing, like a virtual modular system.

Instead Ableton opted for a low level IDE theoretically capable of doing nearly everything, with the idea that MAX users could build the high level Reaktor style functional "blocks", inside Max, inside of Ableton.
Unfortunately as Oscillot users have found out despite intense effort from the developers - that strategy is a house of cards. Any shift in the lower levels will cause a collapse of the High Level elements. With such stratification no single stakeholder can feel in control of the development pathway and fix a bug. Even "Why doesn't my filter work?" is out of your hands.

yes, I may have mentioned that this was a bad strategy before.
I know I'm repeating myself. :|

login

Post by login » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:15 pm

gomi wrote:I think what you are looking for is this

https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/oscillot/
He doesn't like M4L, he want native modular system, as Bitwig is promising.