headphone recommendations?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rbro

headphone recommendations?

Post by rbro » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:27 pm

I'm looking for a good pair of studio headphones for under $600. I dislike big/bulky headphones, but am open to all suggestions/recommendations. Thank you.

Tarekith

Re: headphone recommendations?

Post by Tarekith » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:23 pm

Focal Spirit Pros

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:20 pm

I use a pair of AKG K702's, an original pair from Austria, and I think they're great for sound design and composition, where you can really hear the details and subtle harmonics, along with some of the more subtle processing effects. However, I find I still have to use my monitors to have any hope of a decent mix. For some reason, I just can't balance individual track levels with them.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:47 pm

Man, I think you're spoilt for choice - there are so many great headphones out there...what's important is you get used to them, learn them and work with them. :)

I LOVE my Sennheiser HD650s. They sound great, and they're very comfortable so you can produce away for extended periods of time. However, they are open-back so you're going to get sound bleed from the outside. Not to bad when producing, but you'll need the place nice and quiet when you're mixing/mastering.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:16 am

I own a pair of older AKG K240s (original ones) which I used for years, also KRK 8600 and now some AKG K712. All of these under $600 and each with pros/cons.

Headphones are always a subjective thing as some will love the sound of one type over another. Personally, I like the AKG for several reasons, one being the headband and cups that especially on the K712 simply float and are almost unnoticeable after a few minutes.

I use to love my K240s even with their limited low end. They started to deteriorate so I bought the KRKs as I didn't want to spend too much and the first thing I hated was the headband in comparison. Sound was OK but again, little light in the low end.

The K712s in my own opinion sound great (though do not seem to have the original "quality" of the Austria built models). It's taking me a little time to readjust to the low frequencies in these but the first thing I noticed was because of the low end I was able to actually hear much better at a lower volume where things were getting a little muddy so I started to see what I had been missing for years in headphone monitors.

As already said, there are so many options out there and if I could spend some hours comparing some at my music store I would but like most of us I kind of just take a plunge after reading a heap of reviews and looking at my budget. Can always look again in a few years time.

T.I.M.

Post by T.I.M. » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:52 am

If your into frequency charts you can look up some models at headphone.com If you google "build a graph + headphone.com" a direct link should come up.

rbro

Post by rbro » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:06 pm

Tarekith wrote:Focal Spirit Pros
Hey Tarekith,
Which is the model you're talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EXO ... D05BR1QG7N

OR

http://www.amazon.com/Focal-Spirit-Clas ... B00FYZUQP0