Problem with release on pad sounds

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cohamill

Problem with release on pad sounds

Post by cohamill » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:09 pm

Pads have long releases by definition. So when transitioning between chords in a progression using pad sounds, there should be a period of time when the release of the previous notes overlaps with the attack of the following notes. This gives pads their nice atmospheric texture. So considering this, why am I having trouble getting this effect?

With both Analog and Operator, setting long attacks and long releases on pad sounds, the release seems to cut off when the following notes trigger. I thought maybe was due to insufficient polyphony, but even when I increase the voices to their maximum number, the release phases end abruptly. So I have to layer on some heavy reverb if I want to create a slow release sound, but I should be able to do this with the synth's envelopes directly!

What could I be doing wrong?

yur2die4

Re: Problem with release on pad sounds

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:24 pm

It can sometimes be envelopes that you didn't take into account. The filter ones, or in the case of Operator, additional amplitude envelopes.

Also, if you are retrifgering the same note, the note will interrupt the previous instant of that same note unless you change the retrigger option.

cohamill

Post by cohamill » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:11 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Also, if you are retrifgering the same note, the note will interrupt the previous instant of that same note unless you change the retrigger option.
Bingo, right on the money, this was the problem. Wasn't aware of this function in Operator, but turning off Retrig brought about the desired effect. Bye-bye CPU :(

As for Analog (my other go-to native synth), I have "Voices" turned up to 20, which should be more than sufficient; instead, the notes release as intended when followed by different notes, but when followed by the same note they cut off, just like with Operator above, so it seems to be the same kind of retrig problem. Unfortunately, in Analog I can't find the same kind of Retrig function for polyphony as I did in Operator. The manual makes no mention of it. Where can I find it?

Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:57 am

cohamill wrote:Unfortunately, in Analog I can't find the same kind of Retrig function for polyphony as I did in Operator. The manual makes no mention of it. Where can I find it?
It's in the envelope sections for the amp and filter separately. It's called legato.

cohamill

Post by cohamill » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:19 pm

Synthbuilder wrote:
cohamill wrote:Unfortunately, in Analog I can't find the same kind of Retrig function for polyphony as I did in Operator. The manual makes no mention of it. Where can I find it?
It's in the envelope sections for the amp and filter separately. It's called legato.
Legato is a little different though. Turning on Legato allows multiple notes to share the same envelope (literally the same envelope trigger, not just the same envelope shape). This means that during a progression where all notes touch, the envelope's attack and release stages will only be triggered once (at the beginning of the first note and the end of the last, respectively).

Instead, what I want is for each note to trigger its own envelope in full. This would allow previously triggered notes to complete their release phases even while subsequently triggered notes are on the attack.

In my particular pad patch, there are interesting things happening at the attack and release stages that would be nice to hear on each note, not just the beginning and end of the progression. So Legato won't supply what I'm looking for.

Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:01 pm

Yep, you're right. Legato simply replaces the previous envelope with a new one if you play the same note - Roland Juno style. With legato off, the envelope resets from zero if you play the same note. While with it on, it starts the new envelope where the last one left off.

Not too sure what to suggest. Use Diva which has a round robin note allocation.

Tony

[Edited this because my original reply was incorrect]