Anyone seen this error before?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Anyone seen this error before?

Post by eyeknow » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:07 am

C:\users\my name\appdata\roaming\ableton\live\(live version)\preferences\undo.cfg

Cannot be deleted

Failed to access the undo history file. Switching to meomory-based undo. Live will not be able to reover sets after crashes anymore. Please consult www.ableton.com/support if this problem persists after rebooting.
(does the above message twice)

I'm using bias desktop win7x64 and it does it in 9.1.5 or the latest beta (9.1.7b3) so it's regardless of which live version. Never seen it before and it happens when I try to save a set.

chrk

Re: Anyone seen this error before?

Post by chrk » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:47 am

No, never seen this before.
  • When does this happen?
  • Had a crash before?
  • Allowing and using several instances of Live?
  • Had a look at your process list, if Live fails to shut down propperly?
  • Closed (or zapped) all instances and tried deleting it manually?
  • Have you actually contacted support about it? (Though they would probably not be back to you before Monday.)

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:56 am

chrk wrote:No, never seen this before.
  • When does this happen?
  • Had a crash before?
  • Allowing and using several instances of Live?
  • Had a look at your process list, if Live fails to shut down propperly?
  • Closed (or zapped) all instances and tried deleting it manually?
  • Have you actually contacted support about it? (Though they would probably not be back to you before Monday.)
-it happens with a specific plug I just bought called "bias desktop" which is an amp modeler
-no crash before, it happens 100% of the time when trying to save this plugin
-not sure I follow, but I generally only use the latest beta. I tried 9.1.5 to see if it was that, it wasn't.
-forgive me....processes list?
-Not sure I follow but even if I try and close a project with this w/o saving I get the error
-I am of course going to do that, and I'm pretty sure it's plugin specific, but I thought I'd ask on the board and see if anyone else ran into this.

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:19 am

eyeknow wrote: if I try and close a project [...] I get the error
This would answer when this happens - hint for what support should know - but your suspicion it was plugin specific, is important, too, of course.

The general idea behind me asking for crashes, multiple instances, Live process still running after closing more or less all point at: There must be something locking the undo.cfg that Live can't delete it.

Re 'several instances': On the look and feel tab of preferences theres an option to allow multiple instances of Live. That's at the same time, not about different versions individually.

Process list == Task Manager's processes tab

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:52 am

DOH! Of course I should have known what "process list" was :roll:

A couple of more keys (and I'm taking notes in how to write support/both companies)

I get "live unexpectedly quit" when I relaunch it. Also, if I hit "yes" it launches the w/o incident.

In processes, when I launch the "bias" program, I get 3 instances of "cefsubprocess" which I'm no expert, but I'm not sure that's normal.

Again, thanks for your help.

BryanD23

Post by BryanD23 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:23 pm

Sorry to necro this- I'm getting the exact same issue with Bias Desktop.

Like OP said, it launches without incident, but I no longer have unlimited undo (which is kind of a big deal to me...)

Did you ever contact Positive Grid support? Or Ableton support?

bassbug

Post by bassbug » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:38 pm

This appears to be specific to Positive Grid's plugins. I have both Bias and Bias FX and the issue appears with both. Likely impacts the newer plugins they've been releasing as well.

Postitive Grid has confirmed it's a bug and there's a thread on Positive Grid's site as well but so far it hasn't been resolved.

http://community.positivegrid.com/topic ... or-bias-fx

Hoping it's resolved soon as I'd really like to start using these plugins in my projects.